Author Topic: Help please re travellers in North Yorkshire / Durham  (Read 29975 times)

Offline lanelad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re travellers in North Yorkshire / Durham
« Reply #72 on: Monday 24 May 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Val,
        Thanks for looking at Rbt Swales for me. I have about the same, but didnt realise Mary was a Ross(another one). There were about 3 Swales brothers around Newbottle area, and were supposed to be dominant. Robert being one and i think Hannibal, being another, must get it together.
Got as far as Christianas marriage to Francis Swales,glad you got other info. Could you give me the details as i have several Elizabeth Burnsides, inc. my gtgtgt gran .
Looking for Christiana Stephenson set me looking again forChristiana Swales
marriage to my William Lindsley, and this time found it. = William Quidsley 20mar1851. Kirkby Stephen,but also found same church Christiana Swale = joseph Norman 20mar1781.
It was fruitful day for me as Christiana died 1861 Darlington, and William remarried my Sarah Burnsides,(and i had never found her marriage before)
Now need to find Christianas birth details c 1830,any ideas.
Did you have a James Smith, Loftus living around 1883.
  Fred

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred.

Sorry haven't come across any Smiths as yet.   

About my Stephensons.  I have been trying for some time to put them together.  I have Elizabeth Stephenson bn Stockton 1851 married Mark Swales 1846 at Pickering, they are my 2xgreat grandparents.

Elizabeth's parents were Alexander abt 1821 Rievaulx (not on IGI) and Mary Stewart 1826 (I think from memory) Gateshead, Durham.   Alexander's marriage cert says his father Edward.   After nearly going out of my mind!!!   I have put together Alexander had brother Edward bn 1819 Aycliffe (not on IGI) (maybe doesn't know where he was born) Christiana bn 1812 Pickering.  Edward's marriage cert also says his father Edward.   Christiana's baptism says parents Edward and Mary.    By tracing them through the census I have connected them with Francis Swales from Aycliffe who was married to Christiana Stephenson.  So putting 2 and 2 together she must be connected to them.   

Now have marriage Alexander Stephenson and Elizabeth Burnsides Patrington 1782.  Have children Edward 1783 Northallerton, Elizabeth 1784 Easingwold, Alexander 1785 Easingwold (all on IGI)  Have found in census Ambrose Stephenson bn abt 1789 Darlington occup Tinner.  Ambrose's marriage cert says father Alexander.    Still looking for other siblings.  ha ha

So think she is daughter of Ambrose, baptised 25 Feb 1760 St. Cuthberts Darlington.   Sorry to prattle on. Hope you followed all that.

Val

Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention have a copy of baptism entry of Hannah Swales born Kirkby Moorside.  Father Francis Swales of Oakley near Darlington an itinerant Potter, son of Hannibal.

Mother Christiana daughter of Alexander Stephenson of Blackwell
Born Jan 24 1801
Baptised Jan 26 1801

So pretty conclusive.

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
re- Burnside . Anne Burnside, 21 ,father Edward Burnside, Sheffield married Terrance Raffarty 25, father Francis Raffarty . May 28th 1860, page 148 of parish register PARISH CHURCH of Sheffield.Anna and Terrance had ;
Emily 1860,  Mary 1862, Ann 1864, Francis 1866, Sarah 1867 ,Edward 1869, Terrance 1871,she was pregnant with lavinia when Terrance senior died,[1874 Durham 10 a 260 oct, Nov. Dec .].She then married my great-grandad Andrew Wilson,[1847 Thorne his father Robert Wilson Kirby Moorside 1818 ] and had; Fanny1876,  Voilet 1878, Bella 1882 ,and my grandad Andrew 1883.Stopping next to my grandparents in 1911 Robinson fair grounds Kettering, is Anna Rafferton ?,who had 19 children,which ties in with family legend .Also going back to 1891  with Andrew and Hannah, ,Ann Bonsin[Burnside?]was listed as mother in law[Edwards wife?] I'm new to this so i wonder if this info is of any help in the Burnside saga?---janeo
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline Keelie100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am also related to the burnsides. My great nan was hannah burnside and we are also related to the hunters and smalls? My nans grandad also had donkeys on Whitley bay. Any info anyone?

Offline Keelie100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
P.s. My great nan was born in York

Offline lilo48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,
           I have William bap. Aycliffe 21june 1829 son of Edward and Elizabeth
occ. Potter liv Aycliffe. Bishops Trans.Have you got Thomas 17dec 1843 Aycliffe and Edward 26sep1847 aycliffe. Why William was not on 1841, i dont know but will look for him. I was interested in william Allison, as i have a Joseph Burnside =Hannah Allison from Cockfield. Do you know if Francis Swales was related to my Robert Swales.
                         Regards Fred

Offline lilo48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred
My great grandparents were Joseph Burnside and Hannah Allison.  My nanna was their daughter Eleanor Ann Burnside aka Ellen / Helena born 24 Apr 1883 Durham.  I am also losing the plot with the Burnsides.  I have her on the 1901 Census and then as Soothill on the 1939 Register.  She supposedly married Jonathan Soothill in Halifax, who would have been my grandfather.  I know she went to Halifax where my mother was born but I cannot find any trace of her marriage or my mother Lily's birth 23 Feb 1916 Halifax.