Author Topic: Elba Street St. Quivox  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Dof

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elba Street St. Quivox
« on: Saturday 05 December 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Been a while but I'm back
Can anyone advise me if the Elba St. refered to in Ayrshire Census's is located in the village of St.Quivox (north of the Ayr by-pass) or is it in Wallacetown within Ayr itself? There is an Elba St in Ayr at present located off John St and just North east of the River Ayr
Milne, Hume, Fraser, Maurer, Bicker, Muntce, (Muntz), McFadyen, Caddis, Jardine

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elba Street St. Quivox
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 09 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Is there a specific number on Elba or family that you are looking at?  Just going by a quick peek at the 1881 census disks there are 164 hits for "elba" and "ayr" in the same record and of those the addresses are all stated as Elba St, St. Quivox, Ayr.

Best wishes
Jean 

Offline Dof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean, thanks for replying

I have a Robt. Jardine aged 32 at 44 Elba St in Wallacetown, Ayr 1901 Ayr census together with his wife Mary 27 and son James aged 4
But I have also seen earlier references to Elba St St Quivox and I wonder if the are the same location or was there a street in the village of St quivox also called Elba St?

Ian

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 09 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

I'm guessing the confusion is arising from the various divisions used on the census.  In 1901 your family is resisding at 44 Elba St.  By the way I think your Robert is only 30 but it looks like a 32 with the enumerators slash through the 0.  The 1901 census is like you say recorded as the Quod Sacra parish of Wallacetown within the Civil Parish of Ayr.  If you go back 10 years to the census of 1891 to see if the 44 Elba St address existed you'll find that there is not a record of a family at 44.  It seems to jump from 42 Elba Street to 46 Elba St.  The free header info obtained from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for this census indicates that the Elba St addresses are located within these descriptive boundaries..... "so much of the civil parish of St. Quivox being part of the Quod sacra parish of Wallacetown within the parlimentary burgh of Ayr and the school board district of Ayr as lies on the north of Content St from Elba St. to Craigie gate thence along the line of the Ayr and Dalmellington railway to a point in a line of the centre of Elba St including Queen St from Elba St southward, then down Elba St to Content St including the south side of Elba St.,Boghall Row Lane or Elba St Lane from Church St to Elba St Church St on the north side of Content St James St on the south east side of Elba St and all other lanes within the boundary".   

I don't think there is more than one Elba Street...just more than one way of dividing the area for census purposes.

Offline Dof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jean , It never ceases to amaze me the trouble folks go to to help out fellow researchers Thanks again for this information   

Ian

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
St Quivox & it's various spellings is a parish in Ayr as well as a village outside Ayr.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Present Elba Street does run through Wallacetown area of Ayr. St Quivox is the name of the parish that includes Dalmilling and Lochside as well as the actual St Quivox village/church. So St Quivox parish comes down through Whitlets, nearly to modern Tescos.
Hope that helps.
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Present Elba Street does run through Wallacetown area of Ayr. St Quivox is the name of the parish that includes Dalmilling and Lochside as well as the actual St Quivox village/church. So St Quivox parish comes down through Whitlets, nearly to modern Tescos.
Hope that helps.
revmother

For anyone unfamiliar with topography of Ayr, "modern Tesco" is on Whitletts Road, a main road into the town from the east. A daughter church of St. Quivox is in Dalmilling.
St. Quivox village is a small rural village. Wallacetown, in contrast, is and was in 19thC a densely populated area.
There is a new thread about Elba Street.
Cowban