Author Topic: Marriage Lookup LE MASURIER, possibly St Brelade, Jersey  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage Lookup LE MASURIER, possibly St Brelade, Jersey
« on: Wednesday 09 December 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Good day
1. 1841 census gives John Le Masurier (40) and Mary (45) (unknown maiden name) living in St Brelade civil parish with 5 children. Mary, b circa 1821 is possibly the first born, so I have to assume a marriage around that time. Could SKS check for me please?

2. Margaret the person of interest to my family died in Australia. Her death certificate stated her father was a 'French naval officer' (He is a farmer in the above census).
I've not followed the French line as yet but am wondering whether he could possibly have been in the English navy and if there was a naval base on the Islands? And the 'French' bit comes from his accent.
Thank you
Bryan
Christchurch NZ
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookup LE MASURIER, possibly St Brelade, Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 09 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan

Have done a few lookups for you - I'm not sure what you mean by SKS so I hope I'm not picking up something you are asking someone else to do. If I am sorry.

First of all I have found the baptisms of 4 of the children, all in St Peters to Jean Le Masurier and Marie Thoreau.

Margueritte - 7th Jun 1829, Godparents, George Bisson and his wife Margueritte Thomas.

Nancy - 3rd Aug 1823. Godparents George Le Masurier and Nancy Thoreau.

Elizabeth - 1st Jan 1826. Godparents Francois Pirouet and his wife Elizabth Les Masurier.

Mary - 3rd Oct 1819. Godparents Elie Asplet and his wife Marie Elizabeth Horton.

I also found 1 additional child not mentioned in the 1841 census as living with the family:

Jean - 14th Oct 1821. Godparents Philippe Thoreau and his wife Susanne Vautier.

The 1 remaining child - Philip - although the 1851 census says he was born in St Peter there is no baptism record in this Parish.

The 1851 Census seems to indicate that Marie Thorau was born in St Mary's and fortunately there is only one about this time.

Marie Thorau - 21st Dec 1792 the daughter of Philippe Thorau and Rachel Esnouf. Godparents were Laurens Ahier and Elizabeth de Gruchy.

The 1851 census indicates Jean was baptised in Trinity and again there is only one about this time.

Jean - 12th Feb 1797 the son of Charles and Elizabeth Le Riche. Godparents were Jean le Riche and Francoise Noel, his wife.

Charles and Elizabeth married in Trinity, 4th Mar 1792.

The marriage of Marie and Jean proved a little more difficult but I eventually found it in St Helier. They married 9th Jan 1819 at the Parish Church. Both were listed as living at St Mary's.

As regards the "French Navel Officer". The census returns and the BMD's indicate that this could be poetic licence! I have found nothing to support this statement.

Stewart

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookup LE MASURIER, possibly St Brelade, Jersey
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 09 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart
What grand work! Thank you very much for all that information. SKS = forum-speak for 'some kind soul', which you surely are.
If there's any New Zealand research I can help you with just say the word.
Regards
Bryan
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen