Author Topic: Caldecot Road School, Camberwell  (Read 13094 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Caldecot Road School, Camberwell
« on: Thursday 10 December 09 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Earlier this year I requested help in trying to find a photograph or information about Caldecot Road School, in Camberwell, and received several helpful replies. However I am still searching for the elusive photograph!

Recently I bought a photograph of what is thought to be a London School which was posted in Camberwell on 8th October 1908, but there is no hint if the school was in Camberwell or not! It was sent to a Mrs. Chaplin, School House, Bramfield, Halesworth, Suffolk, and the message reads -

Dear A, Arrived safely. The train about 20 minutes late. H. met me at the station. Love from Edie.

I think the school was not closed until after WWII and so I have my fingers crossed someone in RootsChat Land might recognise the school building. It was not facing north as the sun is shining on the front of the building, and according to the notice on the corner evening classes were held there! Pity I can't read the remainder of the notice.

I will try and attach a copy of the photo, but I appear to be having difficulty in doing so - don't know why!

Yours with fingers crossed,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Caldecot Road School, Camberwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 09 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I think Kings College Hospital is now on the site. It would be worth contacting their archivist to see if there are photos
Monique
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 09 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi mc8,

I think you are correct in saying the hospital now occupies the site, and I will try and follow up your suggestion about contacting their archives. I will crack this problem one day, and most likely when I am not expecting to!

Thank You,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline agran

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 August 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
Your message has just caught my eye.

I attended Caldecot Road School between 1953 and 1959 and have very fond memories of the place. The photograph you have is  familiar but doesn't seem quite right but buildings look different as a child, I suspect most schools of that era looked much the same.

The school was certainly meant to close down soon after I left to go to grammar school but did not do so for many years after, not sure exactly when but it was still there in 1963 because my grammar school used to go there for our domestic science lessons as we did not have those sort of facilities.

Kings College hospital now occupies the site

Offline agran

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 August 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
further to my previous message
Caldecot Road school closed on 31/12/1997

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I thought at first your photo looked a bit like the Marlborough Centre in London (from a different angle):

http://www.kcc.ac.uk/contact/marlborough.php

but as Agran says a lot of these places can look the same...

Have you tried Friends Reunited - someone suggested it to me and I managed to find some old school pictures on there.

Meriel  :)

smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline Minkara

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Patsy
I attended Caldecot school from late 1945 until My dad uprooted us and we emigrated to Australia as "10 pound poms" in May of 1948. The posted photo looks like the old school. The "playground" in front of the school was asphalt and sloped down to the wall where there was a water trough with lead! cups hanging above it.
In winter the playground iced over and we used to slide down it on our backsides, much to Mums horror. The resulting patches only added to others honorably gained.
I have no photos, only memories.
I have not been back to UK since 1948 but I am returning next spring [2011] to try and refresh a few old memories.
I would love to hear from others
Minkara

Offline KATE1001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patsy

If you are still looking for a picture of Caldecott School their is one on this
website, www.landmark.lambeth.gov.uk if you click on places, then Loughborough Junction it is on page 4 with the title Bessemer Road, Herne Hill.

Regards

Kate

Offline Kellyana

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there, My mm went to Caldecot and I have (bizarrely) attended a clinic there as an outpatient.  Mum agrees that this is not Caldecot Road Primary as it wasn't as tall.  I think the building may be the school on Camberwell New Road.  Mum attended in the early 50s.