Author Topic: Caldecot Road School, Camberwell  (Read 13148 times)

Offline bayman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caldecot Road School, Camberwell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 May 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I started at Caldecot School, in 1957 .... I agree, that the photograph is NOT of this school....

Offline EvacueeBoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 July 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Patsy, With my sister I was a pupil at Caldecott Road School before the war. I started there in1934 up to 2nd. September 1939 when along with many others we were evacuated from London. Thankfully my sister and I still survive and I often wonder if any class mates may be in contact from that era. Coincidentally,  I was speaking to my sister yesterday to learn that she has located a booklet about Caldecott Road school which she is mailing to me. Hopefully memories will be further rekindled.

Offline Peter Shields

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I grew up in this area and went to Caldecott Road School from 1951 - 1955. The photo does seem somewhat like I remember, the play ground was surrounded by a brick wall and the building is the right age but it looks bigger than I remember. Someone mentioned Kings College Hospital as being the site of the old school. this cannot be right as I was born in Kings College Hospital as was my brother.
I remember a large entrance hall to the school and very high and echo filled rooms. My best memory is of very large and ornate rocking horse in our classroom that was a treat to ride on if you were good.

We lived in Denmark Hill Road and there were still bomb sites all over the place that we played in and around.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 August 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate1001,

Your private message to agran has just bounced back to us as it looks like they have changed email address but sadly we do not know what the new email is  ???

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrew cross

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patsy,   The school is still standing in Bessemer road Camberwell, my brother David Cross and I attended the school from 1952 to approx 55/56  when we moved from Flaxman rd off Coldharbour Lane, I remember that at the top of Caldecot road were the entrance/exit gates to King's College Hospital. If you remember there was a very small shop in between the entrance/exit gates, you can see it in some of the old movie pictures on the TV. Of course the old gates & shop have long since gone, but I once went through them in an old Humber Ambulance; (you know the one with the extremely long bonnet), after an accident in Myatts Park on my tricycle. I was about 5 at the time. i remember sitting on the kerb in Coldharbour lane with all the other school children, when the Queen was driven past after her coronation in 1953. Now as per the School--- You may not know that you can type into your browser Bing Maps. when it comes up type Caldecot school SE5  and enlarge the picture enough to get the blue line and a view of the School from Venitian road should then come up. You can move up & down the road using the arrows.   Enjoy   regards   Andy

Offline Tonykelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 February 16 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Is this what you are looking  for ?

http://victorianschools.ibinichi.co.uk/Schools.htmx?schoolid=86

However the postcode differs from that given on the Dof Education website:

http://www.education.gov.uk/edubase/establishment/summary.xhtml?urn=100559

Tony Kelly

Offline neelie123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 June 16 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I came across your photograph of the school thought to be Caldecot school. it is not Caldecot school but the old Bellenden Road Primary school SE15.

Offline Steve Kimpton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 November 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patsy,

Caldecot school was still open as recent as 1984 with just 160 pupils remaining.

I have pictures from 1984 - i have also got some video, but cannot appear to upload to this reply?

Regards,

Steve