Author Topic: Latin transcription please  (Read 2643 times)

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Latin transcription please
« on: Friday 11 December 09 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very grateful if anyone can translate the following two entries in the Calendar of Patent Rolls please.

Wareu'icnm et Lciccstria.—Stephanus de Sedgrave, Willelmus de Curly, Walterus de Eyvill, Willelmus Basset et Henricus de Nafford constituti sunt justiciarii ad gaiolas deliberandas in coniitatibus Warewici et Leicestrie. Et niandatum est eis quod ad diem et locum quos vicecomes provident, conveniant ad dictas gaiolas deliberandas, facturi etc. Teste rege, apud Westmonasterium, xx die Junii. Et mandatum est vicecomiti quod de predictis die et loco eos certificet et coram eis venire faciat omnes prisones quos habet in ballia sua. Et scire faciat omnibus illis de coniitatibus suis per quos atachiati et detenti fuerunt, quod tune sh*t ibi ad prosequendum id quod eis obiciunt.

Rex omnibus etc. salutem. Sciatis quod suscepimus in protectionern et defensionem nostram homines, terras, redditus, res et omnes possessiones dilecti et fidelis nostri Eicardi filii Hugonis, qui in servicium nostrum nobiscum ad partes transmarinas profectus est. Et ideo vobis mandamus quod homines, terras, redditus, res et omnes
possessiones suas manuteneatis, protegatis et defendatis, nullam eis inferentes vel inferri permittentes molestiam, injuriam, dampnum aut gravamen. Et si quid eis forisfactum fuerit, id eis sine dilatione faciatis emendari. In cujus etc. fieri fecimus, duraturas quamdiu idem E. etc. nobiscum fuerit in partibus transmarinis. Teste rege, apud Portesmue, xx die Aprilis.
Consimiles literas habent:—  [amongst dozens of others]
   Hugo de Eyvill, cum Roberto de Curtenay.

Jill

Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latin transcription please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 December 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Salve Jill!

Warwick and Leicester - Stephen of Sedgrave, William of Curly, Walter of Eyvill, William Basset and Henry of Nafford have been appointed justices for hearing cases in the counties of Warwick and Leicester. And they are required, at a date and place which the viscomes  [literally 'viscount' I think - medieval jargon beyond me - possibly 'deputy']shall arrange, to meet to hear the mentioned cases, and to make etc. [judgement?]. The king as witness, at Westminster, 20th June. And the viscomes is commanded to inform them of the designated day and place  and bring before them all prisoners whom he holds in his bailey. And he shall inform all those [inhabitants?] of his county who have been charged and arrested, that they shall be tried there on the charges brought against them.

The king greets all etc. [ the rest is a  declaration that the whole of Richard, son of Hugh's matters and possessions, he having  departed overseas on the king's business, is placed under the protection of the king. King as witness, Portsmouth, April 20]. Hugh of Eyvill and Robert of C[o?]urtenay hold identical letters.

Offline aelf

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 09 08:55 GMT (UK) »
And they are required, at a date and place which the viscomes  [literally 'viscount' I think - medieval jargon beyond me - possibly 'deputy']shall arrange, to meet to hear the mentioned cases, and to make etc. [judgement?]. The king as witness, at Westminster, 20th June. And the viscomes is commanded to inform them of the designated day and place  and bring before them all prisoners whom he holds in his bailey.

For "vicecomes" try "sheriff"

Larry
Cannell, Cutting, Lawrence in Norfolk
Gatford anywhere
French in Devon
Kirton in Durham
Donaldson, Hunter, Mckenzie in Clackmannanshire/Stirling
Watson in Renfrewshire

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 09 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pinot et al,

Thank you so much!  Walter was steward of the Earl of Chester and Justice Itinerant for Warwickshire & Leicestershire - that much I know - but I haven't a clue who Hugo/Hugh was or where he fits into the overall picture, although I'm certain he does!  It's interesting to note he had a son, Richard - another one to track down!

Thanks again.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk