Author Topic: CRAVEN of Newport/Goole/Hull/Wakefield (Mariner) - Lookups Please  (Read 27228 times)

Offline boothferryboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CRAVEN of Newport/Goole/Hull/Wakefield (Mariner) - Lookups Please
« Reply #45 on: Monday 08 June 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone for their helpful responses on Joe William Craven.... yes, by my reckoning, I am speaking of Joe W Craven born July 1855, and baptised at All Saints Wakefield on Aug. 12th 1855, then marrying Frances Mason on Feb. 6th 1882.   Originally, I thought he was John W, but all the records suggest he was known as Joe throughout the census period at least.   

Thanks for confirming his death in Sculcoates in 1923, and hopefully, it may be possible to discover where he is buried.  I was interested (and sad) to see that so many of the children born to Frances and Joe died very early, but it makes it all the more intriguing who the children are in the picture held at Goole museum, which I take to be of John Craven (Joe's father) before his loss at sea in 1894, surrounded by probably six children and possibly two adult women who would appear to be all belonging to his family.   My guess is that they are mostly the children of Martha (Joe's sister) and Alfred Knox; sorry I don't have the url address for this picture.   I look forward to hearing more about Lily and John William in due course.

On the question of the links between Newport and Hull, there is a wonderful baptism entry of the baptism at North Cave Parish Church of Mary, 2nd daughter of William Craven brickmaker and Sarah his wife (from Crowle) living at Eastrington and dated Oct. 16th 1782, which records that William Craven is the son of John Craven also brickmaker of Stanley, which is presumably the village located on the Calder Navigation not that far from Wakefield.  Does this suggest that there is a good likelihood that at least some of the Craven's moved downstream in the mid 18th century from the Wakefield area?  It would appear that there were already Craven's in the Hull area by the mid 18th century, so my question lies in whether there were close family links between the "Newport" Craven's and the "Hull" Craven's before the migration of "upstream" Craven's to Hull that seemed to take place around the first decades of the 20th century, by which time presumably shipping priorities had perhaps dictated a move downstream - and where Joe W Craven dies in 1923.

I guess my interest here is in trying to get a picture of how the extraordinary shipping narrative from the mid 18th century that shaped the development of Goole and beyond - as there were, it seems, local families who lived abroad as part of the shipping trade from Yorkshire - affected people's lives. 

Thanks again for all your responses, 

boothferryboy   

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 08 June 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I had some home improvements done last summer and my boxes of info had to be packed away and I also need to check what research I have already handed to Goole Library Museum on the Craven.

I will be back in touch as soon as I have located the info I need regarding the Hull Craven's and the Wakefield Craven's and the families I researched. The pack of info I had Joe's info in is what I have been working on for sometime, so was to hand.

I will telephone the burials office in Hull and ask them to do a search for me re Joe W Craven's death and burial, I know that there are many cemeteries in Hull, some still being used and some closed, it is not necessarily the closet cemetery to Washington St that is where he is buried.

I do know that Goole Library Museum will be delighted to see you and hopefully you may be able to identify some of the photographs, they also hold much other info too which was donated from the same family.

In the meantime, when you are visiting please let me know as I can also be at the Museum too and would like to meet you.

Bendywendy

HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline boothferryboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks bendywendy for getting up into the loft to look out those boxes..... I am aware that people like yourself have done so much of the hard work already, so thank you for being willing to share your findings.   I look forward to hearing from you on the Craven's in Wakefield and Hull; we lived in Hull for a while a few years back and I still remember how vast those cemeteries were, but it would be good to know where such a mariner as Joe W Craven was laid to rest.

My wife and I are hoping to visit the Goole museum in August; would it be a good idea to try and make an appointment beforehand?

Thanks boothferryboy 

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just got your PM and this message,  been faffing with a laptop since early evening, if only I knew what I was doing with the "inner gubbings" !!!!  IT and myself don't gel well at all.

Had such a busy day today, visitors and babysitting, so tomorrow the burials dept is at the top of the list, I will endeavour to find out where Joe W Craven is buried, one reason I need to know is because they are in process of widening the major road through Hull and a cemetery that belongs to Trinity Church is going to have thousands of burials removed and several agencies are involved in this work and to find descendents of any of those burials.

Then to contact the library.

b.
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Burial found for Joe William Craven @ Northern Cemetery Grave 43 Compartment 86 Master Mariner died of Bright's Disease. This grave is in a group of 5 purchased together, the other 4 are empty graves.

I do believe his wife Frances died June Q 1954 Goole and Goole library are searching the Monumental Inscriptions but cannot look at the death register microfiche as it stops at 1950 so one would have to purchase the death cert to see if that entry is the correct Frances etc..

b.

Goole library have searched the monumental inscriptions and nothing found for Frances Craven.
I will now contact Goole Town Council who hold the burial registers for Goole cemetery.

b.
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline boothferryboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 30 July 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information on the whereabouts of Joe Craven's burial at the Northern Cemetery in Hull.  Yes, I believe Frances died in the 1950's, so hopefully one may discover where she is buried, as clearly not in Hull. 
I shall hope to be at the Goole museum on August 21st so will enjoy seeing what light the archive can shed. 
If anyone can shed light too on any link that might have existed at any time between the Newport Craven's with the Wakefield Craven's and/or the Hull Craven's, that would be excellent.
Good wishes
boothferryboy

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this will connect with 'bendywendy' and 'boothferryboy'...but here goes.

I have been trawling RootsChat with various surnames as I seem to have come to a dead stop in some areas of my families.  I'm doing 5 lines right now and I came across the name of "George Craven Wormald".  I can connect George (b.1978) and his dad, also George Craven Wormald, back to the Cravens of Wakefield through George Craven Jr's GGF, Samuel Wormald, who married Susannah Craven.  My main family line is the Cravens, of whom I am a direct descendant and have quite an extensive tree of the Wakefield Cravens going back to Jno. (John) Craven around 1720-1730.  If anyone wishes to contact me, please do so, and I will do my best to help.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi lydiaann
Many thanks for your info. I will have to familiar myself with what is on the thread, sometime since I last did anything with the Cravens.
I will contact you later on.
Thanks bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.