Author Topic: Inverness - Oldtown/Culduthel Cottage - SCOTT ***COMPLETED*** with Thanks!  (Read 30513 times)

Offline dhalaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Inverness - Oldtown/Culduthel Cottage - SCOTT
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I went to the archives - and found it closes on Fridays.  However, the family history search room was open so I had a nose around there. When I was in the Archives the other day I looked at the Valuation Rolls and found John Scott listed as a "Contractor" whose lease covered 230 acres at Oldtown, Milton (of Culduthel?) and Upper Slackbuie and an unnamed Farm House.  All the land in that part of Inverness was owned by the Baillie family of Dochgarroch.  Anyway, I had to do something while I was there again today so I took a look at the microfiche for the 1881 census.  I found John at Culduthel Cottage.  More importantly the next entry was the schoolhouse.  That to me is sufficient proof that the cottage I went to the other day is the one John Scott stayed in.  Looking further at the census I found that the dwellings at Oldtown were occupied by farm servants, shepherds and the like. 

Imber

Hi Danchaslyn,

This is my follow up post to yesterday. I only read page 2 after posting those comments. That is some fantastic research you have done on my behalf. Again, thank you and well done indeed! Understanding the excitement that comes from the positive result of dogged research I am happy for you for the satisfaction you too must have gained. Certainly I am happy for the result.

I agree entirely with your conclusion as to the location as the 1881 census puts the location next to the schoolhouse.

My only unresolved issue now is whether he still resided at this location in 1891. That census locates him at address "Oldtown Farm". Instead of 9 windows the home is described as having 10 windows. I realize this may be one and the same home. Then again perhaps not. Perhaps he moved closer to the actual farm and Oldtown into another cottage. Or perhaps he remained in the old home and added a window, or perhaps the window count in 1881 was not accurate. As I recall from previous research through google Earth I believe the place where Cunningham Wines is now located in Oldtown is today described as "Oldtown Cottage" or some such thing. I have just wondered whether this may also have been inhabited by John Scott in 1891? However, my guess is he stayed put in the original Culduthel Cottage next to the schoolhouse. But if possible I would like to know categorically. The only way to know I guess is to understand the context of the 1891 location to the previous, next, and surrounding entries in the 1891 census. I can't tell anything from the copy I have. So I am asking if I could beg your further generosity the next time you visit the archives to have a look and see if you can determine either that he moved to the Oldtown farm proper or he stayed put at the original Culduthel Cottage.

To support the "stayed put" theory his 1896 death register states his location of death as "Oldtown, Culduthel, Inverness". His estate documents also put his address as "Oldtown of Culduthel, Inverness". It just seems a contradiction from the way things are placed on the map. John leased "Oldtown Farm" (230 acres), Culduthel and Oldtown are in different locales on the map. As a farmer would he want to commute that distance to the Oldtown farm on a daily basis? Perhaps it's not that far, or perhaps the 230 acres was actually pretty close to Culduthel.

I am attaching some macro images of the surroundings from the old maps. Sorry I don't recall what years but they are old enough. Mostly they are self-explanatory and you and Imber will already be familiar with them. In Culduthel I believe we are talking about the cottage that is shaped like a letter "T" in the macro image next to the schoolhouse.

The macro image of Oldtown seems to show larger buildings and perhaps does not indicate a cottage or home. These images are just to help you confirm your conclusions or arrive at new ones.

It appears we are very close to closing the chapter on this investigation. I will look at the google earth street view instructions you indicated. Somehow once we have tied the ribbon I am hopeful to get a picture of the cottage. If we have an address and an inhabitant if necessary I would be happy to write or contact them for permission for someone to take a few snapshots.

I will post the Oldtown macro separately.

I am extremely grateful for the time and energy both of you have put into this investigation.

Warm Regards,
David  ;D
Scotland = BLUE, GOW,WYLIE, SCOTT
County Tyrone & County Londonderry, N. Ireland = LAUGHLIN/LOUGHLIN, ORR, CRAWFORD, MC GREGOR, MEATHERS/METHER(S)/MATHER(S)

Offline dhalaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
Here is the Oldtown macro. David
County Tyrone & County Londonderry, N. Ireland = LAUGHLIN/LOUGHLIN, ORR, CRAWFORD, MC GREGOR, MEATHERS/METHER(S)/MATHER(S)

Offline dhalaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 September 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, I see the building you mean.  Are you looking on the coloured map? That seems to date from the 1920s.  What you need to do is zoom in further and wait until the black and white map appears. I think that's about 1875.  That building doesn't seem to be there.  Yes, the "sch" you refer to is the Culduthel Schoolhouse but if you look at the b/w map it is spelled out, as is Culduthel Cottage.  I think what you need to do is imagine yourself driving along passing the bowling place on the left and the IRA on the right until you come to the roundabout on the Southern Distributor Road. Go right across the roundabout on to the Inverarnie Road.  That is still Culduthel Road.  The old schoolhouse and Culduthel Cottage are the first buildings on the right, although construction of the new roundabout has shunted them into a little cul de sac.

I didn't take any photos because the cottage is completely screened by large bushes and I couldn't just wander in and start snapping away. However, the answer is to use Google Streetview.  Go on to the UK site, type in SL2 6AE and when the aerial view opens up head north up the B861 until you arrive at that roundabout I mentioned. Then pick up the little orange man from the left of the map and drag him to the cul de sac.  Once there you use the white arrows to proceed along the road etc.  You can use the controls to move him around through 360.  The cottage is the one with the yellow Highland Council lorry parked outside in the street.  There's another parked in the schoolhouse which is still used by the Council to house various community services etc.

Imber

Hi Imber,

Forgive my exuberance on all this. I didn't mean to leave you out in my thanks for your efforts. You obviously did more than your part in dogged detective work too.

I had a look at the google earth street view. Got right to it. Brilliant! I see what you mean about being overgrown. Very bushy! On the old map (1875?) there is also a rectangular cottage behind this 2 story home that is also close to the school house. Do you think we can categorically rule that one out? It could just as easily be the next entry on the registry after the school house. But I would guess if John Scott controlled 230 acres he would live in the larger of the homes and others would be occupied by farm help etc. Or perhaps the rectangular building isn't even a cottage. Could it be a barn? Anyway, would appreciate your opinion. Thank you so much!

Oh, by the way. John the "contractor" had worked as a railroad contractor before going into farming. I think this means he was building the railways. His son John also became a successful railroad contractor in Stirling. He was in that business his whole life. I also found his beautiful sandstone home on google street view right next to the rail road station in Stirling! His sons also seemed to have joined the rail road development business first in Scotland and then on to South Africa and the Congo. Almost all died or disappeared in Africa. I am beginning my search for their residue there. Wonder if I will find anyone?

All the very best!

;D
David

Offline dhalaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 September 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
Imber & Danchaslyn,

I must be going dotty!

Obviously I am getting the 2 of you mixed up. In my hurry to reply coherently I got tied up in a knot!

Now I have it sorted out. You have both been teammates on this and I got mixed up on who did what.

I think I should have been asking Imber to have a look at the archives next time. So the long message to Danchaslyn is actually meant for Imber. So sorry to confuse you both! And thanks again to BOTH!

::)
David

Offline dhalaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 September 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Imber & Danchaslyn,

Sorry for so many posts. Yes, I am obsessing, and yes I am asking too much! I am sure you are partners in crime with me in that sense. I hope it doesn't all confuse. But today is Sunday and I have time to respond.

There might be something to my notion about John Scott living in a different home in 1891, and thereafter until his death in 1896.

From the 1891 census John Scott is schedule number 116 and listed as living at "Oldtown Farm". The next entry is 117 (unreadable MacDonald) living at "Ashie Cottage". If you go to Google Earth and enter "Old Town of Leys", "Ashie Cottage" or "Oldtown Cottage" followed by Culduthel you will see that all occupy the same location. This leads me to believe that the possibility is strong that John Scott later lived in a cottage at Oldtown after having occupied Culduthel Cottage in 1891.

Here is the info on Cunningham Wines:

CUNNINGHAM WINES

OLDTOWN COTTAGE, OLDTOWN OF
LEYS
IV2 6AE INVERNESS, HIGHLAND REGION
Phone: 01463 243524
Fax: +44(0)870 132 0309

I am going to check the old maps for Ashie Cottage (Oldtown) and see what I find.

David

Offline dhalaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 September 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
Meant to say 1881 in the last sentence of previous email. Couldn't find Ashie Cottage on any maps but the NLS map site is fantastic!

And aha! After studying the 1891 census again I see that schedule number 115 just before John's 116 reads "school". It is occupied by Jessie(?) MacPherson (40) a "teacher in a public school". But the more I study it the more confused I get. I need help! It is hard for me with my American perspective to divine the context of these addresses and people. But I think I'm leaning back to the "stayed put" theory...until tomorrow... Am I close to clarity?

David

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 September 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

You're certainly making up for lost time! I'm not sure where to start.  The easy bits first perhaps.  The Inverness water supply from Loch Ashie was opened in 1877 and so I tentatively suggest Ashie Cottage, which housed the Water Superintendent or whatever (the main man!) can be dated from about then.  That would explain why you can't see it on the oldest NLS map.  It's still there, about 250 metres west of the Oldtown group of dwellings. From the aerial photo you can see a large square earthworks next to Ashie Cottage.  That belongs or belonged to Scottish Water and I imagine received water from Loch Ashie. It is currently being infilled.  I suppose I had better mention that the water supply to Inverness was designed and built by a John Scott.  Is all this too much of a coincidence?  You mentioned he had connections with railways?  Is this another coincidence?:

http://www.hi-arts.co.uk/Default.aspx.LocID-hianewqkz.RefLocID-hiacg5005.Lang-EN.htm

As I know nothing at all about this chap I may be getting totally carried away but you will no doubt be better placed to decide whether there is any connection with YOUR John Scott.

If you wish to contact the current owner of Culduthel Cottage then the address is:

Mrs Catriona Murray
Weigela
198 Culduthel Road
INVERNESS
IV2 6AE

More later,

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 September 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
I should have said that I asked Mrs Murray if it would be OK to give you her details and she said she would be quite happy to hear from you.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 September 10 14:57 BST (UK) »
Some further tentative thoughts.  While I think that the 1881 situation is now resolved because of the proximity of the schoolhouse I don't think the same argument can be used for 1891.  Yes, the schoolhouse is still there at schedule number 115 and, yes, Oldtown Farm is there at 116 but if you look at 114 it's Culduthel Cottage occupied by William Cooper of the Highland RAILWAY. Just a coincidence? Leaving that aside and accepting there are not two Culduthel Cottages it seems that John has moved to Oldtown, although it is no distance at all. Take a look at the following using the keys to navigate, zoom etc:

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/propertyDetails.do?action=showMap&lpiKeyValue=ITNC5XIHLI699

This shows the current position at Oldtown.  My conclusion is that most of these buildings are "modern".  I think John was in the largest house, the current Oldtown of Leys House, although this has been hugely extended to a very high standard and I think is the home of possibly the wealthiest person in Inverness. I think Oldtown Cottage is an old building but I would put money on it being a line of farmer workers homes knocked into one.  It's seems a long narrowish structure and it is quite common in Scotland to see such modifications.  Take a trip through Oldtown using streetview, panning left and right to look at each building.  (Note the water company sign en route). Eventually you will find the road barred by a gate and if you look down at the lower land you will see Ashie Cottage and the earthworks of the reservoir or whatever.

Finally there is an entry in the following regarding the Findhorn Railway etc which may prove interesting, or not:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-

Imber