Author Topic: PHILLIPS - GODDARD - RAYMENT  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PHILLIPS - GODDARD - RAYMENT
« on: Tuesday 15 December 09 08:41 GMT (UK) »
I am in hunch_mode with this one.  I have a few snippets of information provided by my grandmother many moons ago and the rest are about looking at options and possibles.

This is what I have found and includes bits of detail gleaned from my grandmother:

1. Ethel Phillips was born c1886, Bermondsey and the birth registered in St Olave, Surrey.  Her parents are William Henry Phillips and Mary Phillips nee Howell.

2. William Henry Phillips died within about 3 years of the marriage and Mary Phillips nee Howell married again, having 2 more children.

3.  The family moved to Walthamstow, Essex.

4.  Ethel married a cinema worker (no one seemed to remember his name) and they lived in Saffron Walden, Essex.  As far as I know they had only one child, a daughter known as Joyce.

Here is where the hunches come in and they may well be all a case of barking up a gum tree, but I thought the following details are worth looking at a bit more, even if only to eliminate.

I found a record for a marriage:

Sept quarter 1912
John F Goddard and Ethel Phillips, registered at W.Ham

I looked for a birth that might include the name Joyce, in Saffron Walden after the marriage:

June quarter 1914
Ethel J Goddard, maiden name of mother, Phillips, registered in Saffron Walden.

IF this is the right person, it could well be that she was named Ethel after her mother and the second Christian name showing as "J" might well be Joyce, the name she was known as.

So, moving along a bit I looked for a possible marriage for Ethel J Phillips:

1936 (not sure of the quarter)
Ethel J Goddard married Leonard A Rayment.  Marriage registered at Epping.

I have one frail and elderly aunt still living who often remarked "I wonder what happened to Joyce.Joyce was her cousin.  The family had lost contact just before the second world war.  My grandmother tried to re-establish it but there was no reply from any of the family.  I know my grandmother's other sister survived because I have traced her descendants down to the current generation.  But Ethel and her daughter Joyce have so far been able to elude me.

To find Joyce and or her descendants and understand what happened to them would give my aunt a spark of interest and clear up one of the family brick walls.

KILLEY, MULCARE, FAIRCLOUGH, GRIFFITH, BREADNER, Lancashire, England.
BROOKS, COLE, PURCHASE, MAY, LITTELL, HOWELL, MULCARE, CANE, East London, England.
GODDARD, Saffron Walden, Essex
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex
WALKINSHAW, Walthamstow, Essex
BEANEY, Walthamstow, Essex

Offline tempsford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PHILLIPS - GODDARD - RAYMENT
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 From parish registers Ethel Joyce Goddard was born 22 Feb 1914 and baptised 14 Jun in St Mary's, Saffron Walden. Daughter of John Felix and Ethel of Pleasant Valley, Saffron Walden. John was an electrician.

Tempsford. :)

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Goddard is a well known name in the Saffron Walden Area to this day. I also believe that Saffron Walden has an active Family History Society, (a branch of the Essex FHS). As your query is within living memory you could try contacting them to see if any one knows anything. Even if its only, 'that Ethel J Goddard was the daughter of so and so Goddard and she married so and so'.

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Oooh.. You really are on the ball.  I am not deterred by the fact that he was an electrician, but what is of interest is that Ethel J Goddard is Ethel Joyce Goddard and that the mother is just referred to as Ethel.  My understanding is that she only had one Christian name.

I will indeed try the family history society.  It would be something short of a miracle if Joyce was still living, but think it is well worth pursuing.

I followed a similar pattern of hunches when looking for the descendant's of of Joyce's aunt which took me to the generation of today.  No guarantees it will work a second time but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thank you ever so much!
BROOKS, COLE, PURCHASE, MAY, LITTELL, HOWELL, MULCARE, CANE, East London, England.
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the first step would be to get the Goddard/Philips marriage cert to check that you are on the right track to start with.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 09:56 GMT (UK) »
You are right of course.  I hadn't got that far as I have been on a roll this morning following up many things before I whizzy off to work.
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 10 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I finally received the marriage certificate and it would seem my hunches are correct:

10 August, 1912
The Parish Church, Walthamstow, Essex.

JOHN FELIX GODDARD, aged 24, Bachelor, Cinematographer of 28 Miltose Road, son of JOHN WILLIAM GODDARD, Decorator

married

ETHEL PHILLIPS, aged 26, Spinster, of 16 Newbury Road, daughter of WILLIAM PHILLIPS, Labourer.

Witnesses:

WINIFRED PURCHASE
VICTOR GODDARD

Winifred Purchase is my grandmother.
William Phillips is William Henry Phillips who died when Ethel was very small.
My grandmother had said her sister's husband was a cinema worker and the certificate says he was a cinematographer.
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 March 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above I now have a birth certificate for the daughter of Leonard Arnold Rayment and his wife Ethel Joyce. 

Sheila Joyce Rayment, born 1937, Chingford, Epping, Essex.
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
I am researching film studios in Walthamstow and I think I have found John Felix Goddard in the 1910/1911 census.
Although he is not involved in the cinema. The street name Miltose Road you have would see, to be wrong

Address: 28 Milton Road Walthamstow - 1901
GODDARD
John W     Head    Married    M    40     1861    House Decorator    Hastings Sussex    
Ellen    Wife    Married    F    40     1861    Hastings Sussex    
Ivan C    Son    Single    M    16     1885    Printers Cropper Boy    Hastings Sussex    
William Rd    Son    Single    M    15     1886    Printers Layer 0n    Hastings Sussex    
John F    Son       M    12     1889    Hastings Sussex    
Victor S    Son       M    8     1893    Lower Tooting London    
Dorothy L    Daughter       F    5     1896

Address: 28 Milton Road Walthamstow - 1901
GODDARD
Ellen   Wife     Married   F   50   1861                                  Sussex Hastings
Ivan   Son     Single   M   26   1885   Printers Machine Minster    Sussex Hastings   
John   Son     Single   M   22   1889   Stationary Engineman    Sussex Hastings   
Victor   Son     Single   M   18   1893   Decorator                  Surrey Tooting
Dorothy   Daughter  Single   F   15   1896                                  Surrey Tooting
Lilian   Daughter   F   14   1897   Assistant Teacher    Surrey Balham
Charles   Son      M   13   1898   School Boy                  Essex Walthamstow

In 1891 they are living in Wandsworth Streatham
John Wm Goddard 30
Ellen Goddard 30
Ivan Ch Goddard 6
William R Goddard 5
John F Goddard 2

Hope this helps you. If you do find that John was involved as a cinema worker / cinematographer perhaps you could let me know
Regards
Bob
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.