Author Topic: Where Do I Start - COMPLETED  (Read 12496 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Re: Where Do I Start
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 20 December 09 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abdul,  the Simon Dix tree on Ancestry is the one I pointed out to you earlier.  You mention merging this tree with your own, I would advise you to keep it separate from your own tree until you can verify that the details are correct.  As I said before, only use it as a guide, check everything out for yourself and never assume someone else has got it right.  Maybe when Simon gets in touch he can give you the sources of his findings.

Jool

Hi Jool,

Yes I have been doing some reading and this is what is advised and even when you merge you do it to a new file as you cannot unmerge. Have made some contacts see my next message.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 20 December 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Good news I have contacted some cousins in the UK and got a bit more info mainly new stuff. Did not collect much data at this stage as we needed to chat and catch up.
Going back on fathers side they were not able to give much information. But I do need to get more from them. Unfortunately there not on the internet.
Now the Scandinavian connection -  My Grand Mother, Nellie Johnson b. 1885 was the daughter of a Johnson who can out to Grimsby on the "Butter Boat" from Sweden. My Cousin thinks his name was Johansen.
Was there any name changes recorded in the 19th Century? How will I find the links in Sweden. Was any of this information recorded anywhere?
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 20 December 09 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Some naturalisation papers are held at the NAtional Archives, but more frequently people changed their name almost by default - it wouldn't take too long for a surname such as Johansen to be changed to Johnson. 

To find out where Nellie's father was from, the 'easiest' thing to do would be to find her in the census and see where he was from.  Was Nellie born in Grimsby do you know?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 20 December 09 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abdul

As mentioned in earlier posting, I believe that John William Fletcher b.1866 Waltham (according to 1911 Census) was in fact born there in 1859.   He was around 20 years older than his wife on census but believe he'd 'knocked a few years off' and that he was in fact 51 not 45!

I think you really do need to get the marriage certificate of John William Fletcher and Nellie Johnson in 1905 to confirm if the father is Thomas Fletcher as I believe it should be.   I've also found a death entry in 1926 at Grimsby which ties in with a 1859 birthdate (no entry to tie in with a 1866 birthdate).

So, if I am correct, John William Fletcher was born 1859 Waltham, Lincs. son of Thomas Fletcher and Martha Greenfield who married Louth, Lincs. in 1859.

I won't post all the details - as you are on Ancestry you can find out the census details yourself which is all part of the fun - like John William, father Thomas is considerably older than is wife Martha (almost 30 years).
1901 - in Waltham (John W. with widowed mother)
1891 - in Waltham - John W. (shown as William) with widowed mother and 2 brothers.
1881 - in Waltham
1871 - in Waltham but transcribed as Flecher
1861 - in Waltham
1851 - in All saints, Lincs. - Thomas Fletcher with widowed mother Mary - servant is Martha Greenfield who he married 8 years later.
1841 - in Great Grimsby - Thomas and mother.

IGI shows Thomas seemed to fib about his age too (census indicates c.1803 Benniworth, Lincs.) as his baptism was:

Thomas Fletcher bp.23/3/1800 Benniworth, son of Christopher and Mary (looks like siblings were Mary bp.25/3/1797, Martha bp.9/3/1806 and a possible John 21/8/1803 (no parents shown on entry??).

Christopher Fletcher married Mary Marshall 28/6/1796 Burgh on Bain, Lincs. - this ties in with a son of Thomas who was named Marshall Fletcher.

A lot here to be going on with but the key has to be the marriage certificate - if his father was Thomas, a farmer, then this is John William's family.

Obviously late starters in this family - John William appears to be actually 46 (probably lied) and single when he marries, Thomas 59 and single!    Thomas died 1886.

Good luck.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 20 December 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Annette,
Wow you have given me so much to work on. I will try to take a breather and get the birth certificates. I also need to do more study on researching so I will see what the local library has.
As regard Nellie Johnson's Swedish roots I think I will stop there it's not going to be easy to trace that one.
Well I have collected heaps of info in the last few days I need to verify it and then I will have something to take with me to the UK.
Regards
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 05 March 10 06:44 GMT (UK) »

IGI shows Thomas seemed to fib about his age too (census indicates c.1803 Benniworth, Lincs.) as his baptism was:

Thomas Fletcher bp.23/3/1800 Benniworth, son of Christopher and Mary (looks like siblings were Mary bp.25/3/1797, Martha bp.9/3/1806 and a possible John 21/8/1803 (no parents shown on entry??).

Christopher Fletcher married Mary Marshall 28/6/1796 Burgh on Bain, Lincs. - this ties in with a son of Thomas who was named Marshall Fletcher.

A lot here to be going on with but the key has to be the marriage certificate - if his father was Thomas, a farmer, then this is John William's family.

Obviously late starters in this family - John William appears to be actually 46 (probably lied) and single when he marries, Thomas 59 and single!    Thomas died 1886.

Good luck.

Annette

I have revisited this my first thread and start of my research. A lot have happened since then. But the big sticking point comes to Christopher and Mary. I have just looked again at the IGI, (back in Dec I did not know what the IGI was). As Annette said then Thomas's  father was Christopher Fletcher and mother Mary.
What I am lacking now is some evidence that links the Marriage of Christopher Fletcher and Mary Marshall other than having a son called Marshall.
What I have learned is there are many records not in the IGI but never the less are there in other repositories.
I am missing evidence in the 1841 Census. There is just too many Christopher Fletcher's around at this time.
Can someone please have another look at this for me.
Thanks
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics