Author Topic: What became of Hodgson/Wilkinson/Burrows family?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What became of Hodgson/Wilkinson/Burrows family?
« on: Sunday 20 December 09 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have ancestors who seem to have emmigrated from Lancashire to York, Ontario.

I have Jessie Florence Hodgson (widow of Frank Wilkinson) who married George Charles Burrows in Liverpool England in 1905. They left Liverpool some time between 1905 and 1909.

Jessie's daughter Frances Eleanor Wilkinson b1892 travelled with her maternal Grandmother Martha Anne Hodgson (nee Willis) heading to Mitchell, Ontario 'to daughter' approx 1909 (but I cant seem to find where i've written the ref.) UPDATE I've found my notes the ship was 'Empress of Ireland' and the arrival date was 16 Sep 1909 & Quebec was the port of arrival.

Frances Eleanor Wilkinson marries William Thomas Brown on 22 May 1919 in St James Rectory, Stratford, Perth.

Martha Annie Hodgson dies 14 Feb 1929 aged 83 and was buried in Prospect on Feb 18 1929.

I have no further info on what happened to Frances after her marriage to William Brown or what happened to her mother Jessie and George Burrows (except for Georges attestation paper).

Any help appreciated

Andi

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Hodgson/Wilkinson/Burrows family?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 December 09 03:42 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have it, here is a link to the family on the 1911 census in Stratford, Perth, Ontario (starting on line 8 - Frances' name was mistranscribed as Williamson):
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=54163

I couldn't find anything else about the family. Privacy laws in Ontario really restrict what information is available.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 December 09 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

Thank you so much. I didn't have that census and it will help me to build up a picture. The whole Wilkinson family was recorded as Williams on the 1901 census in the UK so it doesnt surprise me there is a discrepancy. I wonder where Jessie's mum Martha Annie Hodgson was in 1911 as she is not recorded in their home?

I have e-mailed a Toronto newspaper to see if i get any response from any descendants if there are any.

Thanks again

Andi

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 December 09 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry thought I might have found something but didn't.  :D

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 December 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi I looked too but didn't find right one. Thanks for your help

Andi :)

Offline David Charles wilkinson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 19:56 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Hello,

I have ancestors who seem to have emmigrated from Lancashire to York, Ontario.

I have Jessie Florence Hodgson (widow of Frank Wilkinson) who married George Charles Burrows in Liverpool England in 1905. They left Liverpool some time between 1905 and 1909.

Jessie's daughter Frances Eleanor Wilkinson b1892 travelled with her maternal Grandmother Martha Anne Hodgson (nee Willis) heading to Mitchell, Ontario 'to daughter' approx 1909 (but I cant seem to find where i've written the ref.) UPDATE I've found my notes the ship was 'Empress of Ireland' and the arrival date was 16 Sep 1909 & Quebec was the port of arrival.

Frances Eleanor Wilkinson marries William Thomas Brown on 22 May 1919 in St James Rectory, Stratford, Perth.

Martha Annie Hodgson dies 14 Feb 1929 aged 83 and was buried in Prospect on Feb 18 1929.

I have no further info on what happened to Frances after her marriage to William Brown or what happened to her mother Jessie and George Burrows (except for Georges attestation paper).

Any help appreciated

Andi
hi Andi my great great grandfather was Charles William b Wilkinson ....brother of Frank Wilkinson husband of Jessie f hodgson .... They lived in the Manchester area then known as Lancashire .... I'm slowly trying to work out my family history . Was stuck at my grandfather then was linked to Frank and Jessie .. nice to see someone with similar interests and possible family connections ...