Author Topic: Advice needed on Dublin record search  (Read 3805 times)

Offline brownwetdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Advice needed on Dublin record search
« on: Sunday 13 March 05 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I have very limited information on Ellen (Eleanor) Cole - - in the 1851 Liverpool Census, she reports her birthplace as "Dublin, Ireland".  She was 28 years old, making her birth year about 1823.   Her father's name (per her marriage certificate) is James Cole.   This is my first venture into Irish genealogy.   I'd greatly appreciate pointers on areas to search that may be most fruitful.   I understand that Dublin is both a County and a City.  Can/should I make assumptions about what she meant by reporting her birthplace as Dublin?   At some point, she first immigrated from Dublin to the City of Chester, in Cheshire County.  Is there any link between the two cities and immigration? 

Thank-you VERY much in advance for advice in directing my initial search.    Carol

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed on Dublin record search
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 05 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol try the Cheshire bmd site www.cheshirebmd.org.uk, also lancashire bmd site www.lancashirebmd.org.uk which covers Liverpool. I have the 1881 census if you can tell me her married name

Regards
Shirley
Perth WA
My Gt grandmother was from Dublin
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 05 23:50 BST (UK) »
May I answer the easy bit - emigration from Ireland and immigration to England did not exist. You could get on a ship in Dublin and off in Liverpool without papers. Both countries were under British rule. There was an Irish Parliament and an English Parliament but it was all British rule. The Act of Union 1800 merged the Kingdom of Ireland with the Kingdom of Great Britain. I think you would be safe enough to say she came from the Greater Dublin area rather than the further out parts of County Dublin

Offline gmack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Dublin was divided into 4 Poor Law Unions, North Dublin, South Dublin, these would have been mostly city areas, and Balrothery which would now be  North County Dublin, and Rathdown  which would be South County Dublin.

Catholic births would not have been registered with the civil authorities until about 1865, COI about 1845, but church records can go back a long time. 

Finding someone born before 1865 will be difficult and it would help if you could narrow down the search a bit. Do you know any place names or church names that might be spoken off in your family?

Regards
McKevitt, Shannon, Dunphy, Allaroin, Rippleton, Martin, RIC, DMP, 7 Batt Royal Irish Rifles 1914 - 18.