Author Topic: Odd Signal COMPLETE  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Signal
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
The link;

http://www.portofblyth.co.uk/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=54&catid=2

hasn't worked how I was anticipating. When you arrive at the page, just click on the Chain Ferry image. How times have changed for the area since the picture was taken.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 15:03 GMT (UK) »
A direct link to the ferry image http://www.portofblyth.co.uk/images/zoom/history/Chain_Ferry_Blyth.jpg

Back to Worcester again - some more photos here (modern ones)  http://www.miac.org.uk/heenan.htm

and a sketch map here http://www.miac.org.uk/vinegarmap.htm
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 December 09 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Philip, I think your statement about working in harmony with the railway effectively confirms my point, though of course the ownership was independent. The signal as pictured is showing its rear aspect, which on Britain's railways would be black and white. Does anyone know what the colours were on the other side of the signal. On a railway the signal as shown would not affect traffic in  the direction of travel.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 December 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure the signal at Blyth was simply to stop traffic waiting to board the ferry.  Traffic disembarking would do so as quickly as possible without need for special permission.

Roger: Your avatar presumably shows Mayflower on a Grimsby - King's Cross turn ... did they change crew at Boston?  Was it always an Immingham engine?  I think it was.  I remember one day in the late 1950s my auntie and uncle took me for a drive, then we crossed on the ferry from New Holland to Hull.  Standing in one of the platforms all afternoon was 61379.  I see it was only introduced to traffic in June 1951 and "lived" for only 11 years before being scrapped at Donny. http://www.britishsteam.com/PHP/-ln_user.php

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 December 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I wondered whether the signal was to alert an operator in the cabin to wind the ferry back again.
It seems too close to the cabin to be used by vehicles approaching the ramp. Just a thought.
Cheers
Guy

PS The clarity of the signal from across the river could also support this, if an operator on the other bank had to winch out as his/her companion winched in.
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 December 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I wondered whether the signal was to alert an operator in the cabin to wind the ferry back again.
It seems too close to the cabin to be used by vehicles approaching the ramp. Just a thought.
Cheers
Guy

PS The clarity of the signal from across the river could also support this, if an operator on the other bank had to winch out as his/her companion winched in.

I have given that theory some thought too. There was only one signal and that was on the North Blyth side of the river, which would substantiate the 're-call' of the ferry to the north shore. I also note the height of the signal, which was possibly deliberately low so that train drivers in the vicinity could not see it and make a mistake, perhaps in the dark....... could really do with a response from a surviving user of the ferry. Perhaps I ought now to post a link to this topic in the Northumberland section of the forum.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 December 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
The clarity of the signal from across the river could also support this, if an operator on the other bank had to winch out as his/her companion winched in.

I thought that with a chain ferry, the chains were fixed and the ferry "cogged" itself along the chains to achieve movement.

In places where the ferry trip is longer, fares are collected on the ferry but with a shorter crossing (as at Blyth) it would seem there was a ticket office with a bench for foot passengers.  The signal appears to be a few yards in front of the bench and at a suitable height to be visible from vehicles.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 December 09 00:08 GMT (UK) »
"I thought that with a chain ferry, the chains were fixed and the ferry "cogged" itself along the chains to achieve movement".

You are correct, but in this instance (just to be awkward) the Blyth High Ferry crossed a shipping channel. When required, and it would have happened regularly when the port was at its busiest, the ferry had to moor up and lower its chains to the river bed so that other vessels could cross its path without getting caught up in the chains / cables. Also when the ferry was not in use, it upped chains and went down river where it was then moored up in the Blyth Harbour Commission dock.

I suppose the currents in the tidal river would have been strong so a chain ferry would be a more 'stable' option, but at the same time it had flexibility in that it could be stored out of the way when not required. An image of it at the BHC dock is attached with its chains / cables wrapped up on the ramp.

Very interesting topic, this vessel on its own without the complexities of its operation. Fun though. Creates a nice bit of juicy debate. Don't get to overwrought though as it is not worth it. It is just a very interesting and rare piece of history.

Philip

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 December 09 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Just to demonstrate how far the high ferry operated away from the BHC dock I include this map of the river.

Philip