Author Topic: Forncett St Peter - COAN Family  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Iban Kepala

• I have sadly retired researching my genealogy after 40 years
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forncett St Peter - COAN Family
« on: Friday 25 December 09 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi and a Merry Christmas greeting to one and all  8)-
I am researching the above family and am looking for information in respect of John Tyrell COAN, born c. 1793 in Forncett St Peter and also any parental details etc that are available. There is also some connection with Lowestoft & Suffolk as it would appear that Charlotte and Charles, his first two children with Elizabeth SOANS whom he married in 1825 in Norwich were born there.
He is shown on the 1851 census as a Chelsea Pensioner/Letter Carrier and research of his military career has raised some more anomalies, therefore any details whatsoever would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers,
George.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Forncett St Peter - COAN Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 December 09 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,
He could have been just stationed in Suffolk when Charlotte and Charles were born.
You didnt mention the 1841 Census so I will post just in case you dont have it.

1841 Census
King St, Crooks Place,
St Stephen, Norwich, Norfolk
HO107/791/3/St Stephen

John T COAN, 45, Letter Carrier, Y
Sarah Coan, 22, Y
Charlotte Coan, 18, Shoe Binder, N
Charles Coan, 15, Shoe M Appr, N
John Coan, 13, Y
Mary Ann Coan, 10,Y
Robert Coan, 5, Y
Algernon Coan, 1, Y
Stephen Coan, 5mths, Y

GOT IT :) ;) :D

Baptism from Freereg;
John COAN
12 September 1790, St Peter, Forncett St Peter, Norfolk
Father, John COAN
Mother, Mary TYRREL

Merry Christmas
Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 December 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
2nd Marriage of John from FreeBMD;
John COAN, St Stephens, Norwich, Norfolk, 01 July 1839
Occp- Letter Carrier, Abode-Crooks Place, Widower
Father-John Coan, Occp Travellor
To;
Sarah CHAPMAN, Spinster, Abode-Crooks Place,Father-John Chapman, occp Baker
Both of this Parish
Witnesses, James SPINK, Ann SEXTON
Special Notes;
Bride a Minor, Groom of Full Age

His Parents;
John COAN, Single Man
15 October 1788, St Peter, Forncett, Norfolk
To;
Mary TURRELL, Spinster
Witnesses, Wm REES/Mary REES

EDIT; realised it should be FreeREG :-[

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Iban Kepala

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 December 09 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,
Many many thanks for confirming John's baptism as 1790 and also his parents marriage of 1788, at least the first part of the  ::) 'by word of mouth - fairy story' seems to be standing up to closer scrutiny.
I had the 1841 census details and also his second marriage, my problems are arising from the fact that I had what I presumed :-[ was his first marriage  in 1825 at St Stephens Norwich BUT then a couple of days ago got some military information re his service in India 1809 - 1826 which included a reference to '...in 1826 he returned to Norwich to settle down as a Chelsea-Pensioner with his wife and three children who had been born in India.' I have spent the last few days browsing Military Marriage Listings without any success in finding any such references; at least that information explains the 'N' (not born in the county) on the 1841 census for those two. Looks as though I am going to have to 'bite the bullet' and head for Kew in the New Year  :'(.
Be that as it may  - once again many many thanks for your interest, time and information.
All the best for 2010.
George.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 December 09 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,
I thought it strange that first wife was Elizabeth as none of the children seem to be named after her.

Anyhow there is a Charles COAN, born c 1824 living in Middlesex in the 1851 Census with Wife Susan ( down as Jusom!). He is indexed as born Indin , Essex, but image is East Indies ;)
Maybe a possibility?
HO107/1535/721/19

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 December 09 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a quick look but he seems to have had 2 wives and no children. The second is Frances. In 1891 Census he is indexed as age 15 ( born c 1876 but image is age 65. Born Meurett, India (East) British Subject. He is a Shoemaker/bootmaker on all Census. Wife Frances born c 1839, Clapham, London is with him
He is down as Charles HAPSON Coan, so that may be a hint if he is the right Charles ;)
EDIT;
Marriage;
Charles HOBSON COAN
Frances Ann H HALLE
March 1870
Holborn
1b 671

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 December 09 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Possible Death;
Charles H COAN
December 1914
Pancras, 1b 63, Age 93

Offline Iban Kepala

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 December 09 14:12 GMT (UK) »
By golly Trish,
I think you may have solved my problem, if this Charles and his sister Charlotte were in fact born in Merutt, India; that is a former well known British Army base right through to the Independence in 1947.
That narrows my search down considerably, as yet I have not looked at the census but will be scouring it and some other records I have access to in the next few days.
And to think I only put that query on this morning purely on speculation, in the 'forlorn hope' that I might solve part of the fairy tale and now here I am possibly on the verge of a huge success; somehow I do not think my cousin Sheila is going to be too happy with this information - but as Windsor Davies used to say 'Ah well, How Sad, Never mind Eh !! ;D

Once again many many thanks, may all the blessings of Christmas  be yours.

Cheers,
George.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 December 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,
Thank you for your lovely wishes ;D
Christmas is over here and it is now Boxing Day.
I hope it all works out . As I said I only had a quick look at the Census info so its up to you now!
Please let me know on this thread how you get on.
All the best for the New Year.

Trish :)