Author Topic: Moving data to new laptop?  (Read 11426 times)

Offline MerryGiles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moving data to new laptop?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 January 10 12:31 GMT (UK) »
So basically it is NOT a migration then?

I notice the demo did not actually run any proper programs after the so-called migration.  A movie or a song will work on both systems and a browser will work on both systems.  Are they trying to suggest that Windows 7 doesn't have a browser, therefore you have to migrate it from Windows XP?
I personally think that if all your programs and data are usable on the new Windows, call it what you like - but it solves my problem.
As for the movie - you'll have to ask the director  :), but do you really want a demo to start up Photoshop? It'll take forever.

From the reviews I found, the software seems to actually work. Here's the epinions: http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Zinstall_XP7_epi

And, again, they do have a refund policy. You can probably always find something that doesn't quite work and request a refund on that basis if you aren't happy :) Though they say it's no questions asked, but can never be sure these days.

Offline MerryGiles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 January 10 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Suggest to me that as previous said this seems like a scam.

Huh? Microsoft do explain that if you upgrade to 7 from XP you lose all your programs.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 January 10 13:22 GMT (UK) »
As for the movie - you'll have to ask the director  , but do you really want a demo to start up Photoshop? It'll take forever.

The point I was making is that Windows Media Player exists on XP and Windows 7 so you don't need to transfer the program in order to play the movie.  It would have been better to have shown an example of another non-Microsoft application.

I think there has to be a drawback to this method of running a Windows XP user environment on a Windows 7 computer and that is the demand it makes on resources.  Running Windows XP and Windows 7 on the same computer must mean that it is resource hungry and it will remain that way for as long as you run the two systems simultaneously.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 January 10 21:25 GMT (UK) »

This PCMover software seems to be a rip-off because if you were upgrading to Windows 7 on the same computer then Windows would do it anyway.

Then again maybe Not?

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?t=190293&highlight=laPLINK

Ok the link is to another Forum, but its a National UK Magazine so I guess they`d not put their Name up to this if thay had doubts about its ability?

3rd post down!!!!

Chriswhiles isn`t a bad Lad & is quite knowledgeable & I`d hazard a guess He knows a bit more than me?

I wouldn`t put myself in the firing line if I`d recomended something like Laplink...

There are a few negatives though...

Regards.

Steve

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 January 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
We're doing 40% off Laplink PCmover at the Computeractive software store (http://store.computeractive.co.uk)

That's probably an incentive to recommend it.  I note others have commented on its limitations.

What I don't understand is this nonsense about long it takes to install a few programs.  I re-installed WIndows XP from scratch last April and then I started to add my programs.

I installed MS Office-2007 Enterprise edition which is probably the biggest application anyone is likely to install on a PC and that took less than 15 minutes.  All other programs installed in a few minutes each.

The only thing that takes ages to install is Windows updates.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Bob, Thanks for your help.
On my pc I have a number of programs....exe... that I have paid for and downloaded from the net [ eg Album GV2.4.exe] and others such as Family Tree Maker that has all my entered data intrinsic to it as I understand it now.

Do I copy these to the external HD lin the same way as  the data files?
 I ask this as I don't understand how your remark "Any application programs will need to be reinstalled" differs from copying them via the external HD.

charlotte

I think this point appears to have been missed in the general discussion about laplink etc.
The ORIGINAL files downloaded from the internet are installation files and as such can be treated like any normal piece of data and simply copied over to the backup drive.

Providing there is no conflict with W7 these installation files can then be copied over to the new computer and run to install the programs - Exactly as was done when they were first run on the XP machine

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 January 10 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Falkryn, Thank you very much for that advice.  I needed to know that.

May I ask 2 further questions please?
If I use Win Easy Transfer and a USB Easy Transfer Cable or external HD to move the data, do I need to select the original.exe files [not knowing if they are Win7 compatible or not ]  or will Easy Transfer program  detect what is Win7 compatible and transfer that only?

Re External HD: If I used this method I'd  be using Apollo Imation portable HD that already has backup on it.   Would I need to reformat this before copying the data to be transfered?
If so would it be better  to keep a copy on the HD in case I muck up things, and for the transfer use the USB Easy Transfer Cable?

I'm a novice at this and need the most failsafe method.

Thank you for your help,
charlotte

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 January 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
When you ran the installation files of these original programs they set up your computer to run that program - these installed programs cannot then be simply copied over as there are a number of files integrated into the operating system to allow the actual program  to run.

Regardless of which method you choose to use you will need to transfer/copy over these original setup files in order to run them and install your programs.

Personally if there is enough space on your backup drive I would run the backup program and then create a new folder named e.g. backup 07012010 (or whatever date you use)and then hand copy all of the data files I considered important into this folder. The easiest way to do this is to have two windows open on the desktop and simply drag over using the RIGHT mouse button and select copy from the drop down menu.

This potentially gives you two copies of the same data and although on the same drive better than having only one

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 08 January 10 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Falkryn.
I'll get onto running the backup program- plenty of room as it's 320 GB-  and then do the new folder . The laptop arrives next week so will get organised.
I appreciate you clear instructions and your help.

charlotte