Author Topic: Visit to Caithness - McGregor, McLeod, Sutherland, Gun  (Read 9435 times)

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Caithness - McGregor, McLeod, Sutherland, Gun
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 January 10 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I have now been snowed in at my place since 31 Dec but have had a resupply of beer lol.  We are now hoping to be there 5/6 Feb.  I do have the information you have given but it is always nice to get confirmation from people as I am still fumbling about at this.

You have given me information that I did not know i.e. that an illegitimate child took the father’s name.  I have little bits on Kenneth it would appear that at some stage he used the name Kenneth McGregor McLeod and indeed I have my Grandmothers marriage certificate giving her name as Williamina Gilchrist McGregor McLeod.  I also have a copy of the 1891 census where he is named Kenneth McLeod along with a brother Charles McLeod.

From family verbal history it would appear that Jessie/Janet McGregor took Kenneth’s Father (Kenneth McLeod) to court at either Fraserburgh or Peterhead, with regards to parenthood from then on he dropped the name McLeod.

I will have to try and find the 1881 Census as the 1891 has Sutherland McGregor as Sutherland Williamson.

Keep the info comming lol I am loving it.

Regards,

Jim
McGregor, Sutherland

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 January 10 15:21 GMT (UK) »
HI Jim

Good news about your essential supplies being topped up. Here in Caithness we have beautiful blue skies above and ice below our feet.

Are you saying that Kenneth Macleod ( the father) was from Peterhead? Was Sutherland Williamson/Macgregor also a child of Janet? Perhaps we should look for a Sutherland Williamson as his Father but then Janet did have lots of sisters so perhaps he is a nephew.

Think I have the McGregors on earlier census with surprises.

1861 Census The Old Meeting House, Berridale
   I don't know where this property is but sounds interesting and another place for you to visit.

James McGregor Head 41 labourer Latheron                                                       
Janet McGregor   Wife 41                    "
Johannna   McGregor  Dau   12   scholar   Berriedale
Janet McGregor  Dau  8               scholar         "
James    McGregor   son   3                              "
Robertina  McGregor dau  1                              "

1851 Berriedale

James McGregor  H  38  Ag lab  Latheron
Janet McGregor wife  29?
Jane                  dau  13
Isabel                dau  12
Esther                dau  9
Charles              son  6
Anne                   dau  3
Johanna             dau  2

All the children born Berriedale

1841 census  Dunn Watten
on farm of Robert Ryrie

James McGregor  marr male servant 20

John McGregor  15 Ag lab

Jane  McGregor  4
Isabella McGregor  3
Esther McGregor 3mths

No sign of mother Janet and on next census these 3 children down as being born Berriedale as their siblings. James is also a problem because age is  not right and could be relative and not your James and father of the girls.

Something for you to think about wile you watch the snow

Regards W

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 January 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi W,

You gave me the kick in the pants that I needed today and I have been doing some work on the tree.

I am in the process of updating my family tree to Ancestry.co.uk.  I found Sutherland Williamson – he was down as Sutherland Williamson McGregor born 12 Oct 1870 again another strange one taking on the mother’s name.  You could be right and his father’s name could have been Williamson and the Sutherland part could have come from grandparents?  We will never know. His mother was Ann McGregor born 1848 who is the daughter of James and Janet/Jessie McGregor.

I am not sure where the first Kenneth McLeod came from.  However, looking a local history I assume the he has come from the Isles to Latheron when the fishing was good had two children with Janet/Jessie then moved onto Peterhead or Fraserburgh.  Just got some information on this one – A paternity suit was won against Kenneth McLeod, Fisherman, residing in Peterhead by Jessie McGregor for Charles McGregor (Kenneth’s brother) – Scottish Records Office.  Don’t quite know how I would follow this one up.

I will go through all the info you have sent there is always something new that comes out of it lol.
I too have tried to find out where the Old Meeting House was, but have not been able to find anything out.

Another two lines I am going to follow – just for the interest is the Latheron Parish Poor’s Cash Book (Scottish Records Office, Edinburgh) 1842 at Latheronwheel district Widow Charles McGregor 4/- (four shillings) paid to Joseph McKay

1843 – Widow Charles McGregor paid to himself 4/- .   

This is all information left to be by a great aunt god only knows what it is about?  The other is she left notes of Robert McGregor and Mary Sutherland both of Sempster were matrimonially contracted in order of marriage 14th of 21st June 1762.  Children were:
Margaret Baptised 18/07/1763
John 07/10/1764
Mary 10/04/1768
Charles 13/08/1770
Anna  **/05/1775
As you can see I have a lot to do lol.  I think I need a beer lol. 

Regards, Jim
McGregor, Sutherland