Author Topic: Urgent help please for one of our chatters  (Read 17936 times)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent help please for one of our chatters
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 December 09 12:45 GMT (UK) »

Thanks one and all for your replies and suggestions,  i know Chelle appreciates it all, 

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 December 09 13:05 GMT (UK) »
If I can help on this one, I will.

I'll throw my hat in. Might not help much but I will get ringing around Tuesday...unlikely any phones will be answered tomorrow in UK as it's Bank Holiday.

http://www.upmystreet.com/findmynearest/community-charities-and-advice/cemeteries-and-crematoria-listings-in-harrow.html

God speed, Reaybo!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 December 09 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou everyone for what your doing , i feel so guilty not having much time to do the research myself i am truly grateful to you all .

Chelle

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 December 09 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chelle

It would most probably help the councils and funeral directors if you had the exact date (or near enough) of death for your grandfather and grandmother.

Although the Watford site is currently out of action, there is information at the Hertfordshire site here

http://www.hertsdirect.org/atozofservices/distborserv/burialgrave/

Although Vicarage Road may now be closed for new burials, it may still be possible for burials in existing plots if they were purchased for multiple use.

You may be able to speak to someone at Three Rivers cemetery dept here, cemeteries are usually open on bank holidays and some of the staff may be available to help

http://www.threerivers.gov.uk/Default.aspx/Web/Cemeteries

Although they lived in Watford, don't exclude the possibility of burial just outside eg Carpenders Park

http://www.brent.gov.uk/cemetery.nsf/Cemeteries/LBB-8

or Harrow Weald

http://www.harrow.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=481&pageNumber=3

or North Watford Cemetery

http://www.yell.com/b/North+Watford+Cemetery-Crematoria+and+Cemeteries-Watford-WD250AW-452149/index.html

And just to clarify, Breakespeare crematorium is just a crematorium, there are no burial plots except for ashes.

Although most Funeral Directors will take out of hours phone calls, unless you track down the one that was used last time, they won't be able to help until they speak to the cemeteries dept when they re-open on Tuesday.

You may also have to come to terms with the possibilty of not being allowed a burial in the same plot if it is full. To overcome this most cemeteries allow the interment of ashes after cremation.

Chelle, please don't worry about the time it takes to find the plot, both Watford & Harrow Councils cemetery departments deal with this type of enquiry almost daily. And the Funeral Director should also allow the family plenty of time to make all the necessary arrangements and give you all the options.

I hope this is helpful for you at this time.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 December 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Dawn x

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 December 09 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chelle

Dawn is absolutely right re the time to make arrangements. When my father died 10 years ago we delayed the funeral for over 3 weeks as my sister and her family were on holiday in Australia and my Mum insisted they didn't come home early.

Take care, thinking of you

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 December 09 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Watford Borough Council is the first place to start, since Harrow is not that far from Watford and he may have died in hospital in that registration district.

We already established on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,423638.msg2904644.html#msg2904644 

that he died in Mount Vernon,Stanmore hence being registered in Harrow rather than Watford where they lived.
Of course the fact that he died there doesn't mean he was buried there and he could well have been taken back to nearer home.....ie Watford.

I was down at Breakspear Crem (Ruislip) just before Xmas- my dad was cremated there in 1970.We lived in Harrow Weald.

Hope you find it soon- Harrow Council are very good if you email them.
But of course no one is back at work till Tuesday  :(

cemeteries AT harrow.gov.uk replace AT with @

Phone 020 8424 1596

Civic Centre PO Box 875, Cemetery Office, Station Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2YF

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 December 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for that Carol, 

I have emailed the council,  and we have people on here and in the chatroom,  phoning around all the cemeteries / crems in the area, 

Fingers crosssed

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 December 09 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

When you do locate the grave another issue may come into it, who owns the grave? I'm not sure what the procedure is regarding the cemetery giving out contact information. When my mother died we fortunately found the relevent paperwork so there was no problem as it was in my mothers name.

Andy