Author Topic: WEEDON Family  (Read 29584 times)

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WEEDON Family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 October 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
Steph,

BINGO!?

I have found a Caroline Weedon aged 15 in the 1841 census  in Rickmansworth residing at Water Lane and quite probably the mother of the female child born in 1845 in the Rickmansworth Workhouse.  Caroline is living with Elizabeth Weedon, 55, rag cutter, (probably her mother) in the home of the Thomas Birch family.  Thomas, a brewery labourer, and Martha, his wife, are in their mid 40s and have 4 children.

Is this of any help?

Peter
Weedon and variants

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 October 14 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if by any chance this could be your Herbert Henry in the 1881 RG11/1435/18/page 4.

Under the name of Harry Weedon aged 16 born Watford staying with William Baddams & his wife Eliza at Clay Hill Bushey, there is also a Thomas Weedon aged 12 born Watford a pupil in Watford Workhouse, RG11/1439/100/page 3 who could be a possibility. I see from your tree that you have most probably located George Birch in South Stoneham Hampshire for the 1881 so if the 2 boys are correct where is Sarah.  :-\

With regard to the Caroline Weedon that Peter has found I believe she married a James Swain in Chorleywood 1847 & on subsequent census states born Somerset & although I would agree that she does seem a likely candidate for the mother of the unnamed baby in 1845 unfortunately there isn't a 5/6 year old child with the Swains on the 1851 & looking again at Free BMD there is also a death registered in the Sept qtr 1845 Watford for an unnamed Weedon that could be the same child. :'(

Not sure if any of this is a help but I'll keep trying. ::)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 October 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Maddie,

All good detective work, but I think the Birch link carries weight.

Peter
Weedon and variants

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 October 14 22:32 BST (UK) »
I do agree Peter that the Birch family next door to Elizabeth & Caroline Weedon look interesting & are worth a little more investigation to confirm they are of the same family as Sarah Ann's husband George Birch. I see from the 1851 that Thomas Birch was born Bovingdon & Martha Chesham so they could be.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 October 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
Awe! Thanks Peter.

Caroline and Elizabeth sound a possibility and worth finding out more if I can - and another Birch connection of course. A history of illegitimacy appears a pattern though.

My father would have been mortified, he was convinced the Weedons came from some aristocratic line but he died before I got this far [which isn't too far] I would just love to find out who they were regardless.

It is so fabulous to have some help thanks
Steph

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 18 October 14 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddie,

Grateful for your help.

I had wondered if the Harry Birch could be Herbert in the 1881 census and Thomas is certainly the correct  correct age for the workhouse Thomas Weedon. Sarah Ann could have died before the 1881 census I suppose but who knows - maybe George cleared off to Hampshire and left her to it.

Family legend has it that the 2 brothers walked to Grimsby from Watford [reported in the story as 'London' and 3 brothers but near enough] according to my grandmother. They both became apprenticed fishermen 1883. No sign of Sarah and seems likely that she was no longer alive unless she was the one that abandoned them all.

The swains are interesting candidates - I just cant find a Sarah in the 1851 census to account for her in any family. Perhaps Mr Swain didn't want her though.  Could she be in the workhouse or with grandma? I also wondered if inmates not included in all the census.

If the child death you found was in fact the 1845 female birth - back to the drawing board!

I will try and connect the Thomas Birch and Martha from Chesham. I am really grateful to have a new line to research. I just kept going round in circles getting no where.

You have both given me a spurt to keep going

Thanks so much
Steph

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 18 October 14 07:40 BST (UK) »
Steph,

More information to whet the appetite and keep you engaged.

Joseph Weedon, Quaker, tailor, of Rickmansworth first married Elizabeth Birch a widow November 12, 1696.  He later married Mary Mowridge (or Moggridge) daughter of Robert and Mary Biggs of Beaconsfield on August 12, 1718.  Joseph's will was dated August 12, 1732.  Joseph was the son of David Weedon also of Rickmansworth.

Peter
Weedon and variants

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 18 October 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph
As Peter says there are a lot of records for Weedons in Ricky & the surrounding area particularly the Rickmansworth Militia list prior to 1800, which makes it even more strange that there is nothing for your Sarah Ann.

If it wasn't for that darned death of the unnamed Weedon same qtr 1845 I would have also plumped for Caroline being her mother. Presumably the death was for an infant as it's unnamed but I can't see a burial on my disc to correspond for more info, albeit if the burial took place in the Workhouse cemetery it may not have been transcribed.

By the looks of it Caroline's parents Elizabeth & John had both died before her marriage to James Swain so no maternal grandparents to look after an extra child. Where Sarah is in the 1851 remains a mystery & yet she is easily found in the 1861. ???

I can quite believe your Herbert & Thomas walked to Grimsby, they could have picked up the Great North Road/ Ermine Street & followed it straight to the South side of the Humber. :D Well done them. ;)

I shall be back to report any new evidence should I find it. :)

Maddie

Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 19 October 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Many thanks for that further link of Joseph Weedon marrying Elizabeth Birch 1696. That's another Weedon / Birch Link Brilliant! I feel sure once I have got beyond Sarah Weedon, if at all possible, it becomes more interesting.

As Maddie uncovered a death for infant Weedon in same year as my Sarah Weedon possible birth , naming Caroline as mother, I may have to go back to the only information provided, i.e mc to George Birch, where it states father as Henry Weedon a Tailor. Trouble is, so much deception, it has made me sceptical!

I opted for Henry Weedon [Rickmansworth b.1798] son of William Weedon [b. 1767 m.to Mary Marshall] because he was the only Weedon found to be a tailor. [I know not very concrete]  He married twice but I wondered if he could have had a 3rd marriage somewhere to account for the birth of Sarah Ann. [It was early days into my research] I realise doubtful now!

Thanks Peter - it is good of you to help
Steph