Author Topic: WEEDON Family  (Read 29715 times)

Offline delta

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WEEDON Family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 June 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
I have traced my Weedon's back to Joseph (abt 1757-1827) who married Mary Davies 28 Mar 1779 at St Giles Cripplegate.  Joseph's siblings include John (d. 1790 of small pox), George (settled in Uxbridge), and two unmarried sisters Mary Ann and Patience/Patricia who were alive to witness Joseph's will in 1827.

Who are their parents?  Family stories claim their father had a large family by his first marriage in Buckinghamshire and then came to London and had these children by his second wife, Mary Howard.
She was of a non-conformist church.  Joseph was a habardasher, later generations were drapers and lace merchants.

Any connections to your Weedons?  Would also appreciate suggestions for searching pre-1800 Bucks/Middlesex from "across the pond" (Illinois USA)

Amy
Sorry, but I don't think I can help.  My Weedons came from St Albans, Hertfordshire although a couple of their children appear to have been born in Cambridge!!  However, I think James' parents were probably John Weedon (1749-1828) and Mary Allen (1754-1798) who were married in Hertfordshire in 1774.
All in Hertfordshire
Barrett
Crawley
Kefford
Jackson
Mardling
Odell
Pearman
Toms
Wallduck

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 June 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy,

No readily apparent relationship to my tree.  The Weedon 'clan' concentrated in the area around Watford - Rickmansworth - Chalfont St Peter - Chesham - Amersham in the 1500 - 1600s.  I have extensive holdings of translated wills for that period.  They were predominantly husbandmen - farmers.  Many were Quakers.  By the end of the 1700s they were developing new skills / trades and moving to London.  My line were cordwainers (shoemakers) for several generations and then copper plate printing.  Some Weedons left the area in the 1700s and were involved in the draper - tailoring trade so I am not surprising by your Joseph Weedon findings.

I use the traditional online resources to conduct my research with the odd trip to the National Archives in London whenever needed.  I live in Jersey in the Channel Islands.  Happy to help with your quest.

I have located the death record of Joseph Weedon buried September 7, 1827 aged 70 in Finsbury St. Luke, Islington, London.    Joseph married, by licence, Mary Davies on March 23, 1779; he from the parish of St. Mary le Bow, batchelor and she, a spinster, living in St Giles without Cripplegate.  Witnesses were Sam Wood and William Walter.

There is one record of birth for a Joseph Weedon on suitable date:

Joseph Weedon baptised August 1, 1756 at St Mary, Harrow
parents John Weedon and Mary Weedon of Wombley (?)

I found the baptism of John Weedon recorded in St Botolph, Bishopsgate on December 5, 1736 son of William Weedon and Jane.   It is highly probable that this is your Joseph's father, John.

A William Weedon was christened in Kings Langley in March 1713, son of William Weedon.  This could be your Joseph's grandfather, William.  Kings Langley is not far from the Watford - Rickmansworth area from whence came many Weedons.

I can send you copies of the parish records directly, should they be of interest.

Do you have any living Weedon males in your family?  I wonder if their DNA matches mine?  I have located several Weedons linked to my family tree using DNA matching.

Regards,

R. Peter Weedon

Weedon and variants

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi 
I am sure this is a long shot but I wonder if you perhaps have any information relating to my WEEDON ancestors among your Hertfordshire WEEDON/ WEEDEN research. I have been trying to find more details regarding my 2 x great grandmother SARAH ANN WEEDON b. 1845 [6]Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire.

I am still unable to confirm her birth or who her parents could be [after several unsuccessful years of trying]. I am also unable to find any evidence relating what happened to her after her marriage to GEORGE BIRCH [b. St Pancras 1838] Bushey, Hertfordshire 1872.

The only information I can confirm:-
[Children x 2]
1. 1864 - HERBERT HENRY WEEDON [my g grandfather] was born in Watford Union Workhouse [father not named on the bc]
2. 1868 - THOMAS FREDERICK WEEDON also born in the Watford Union Workhouse - name of father not given but his later baptism recorded him as Thomas Frederick Birch [so possibly George Birch was in fact the father of Thomas]
3. 1871 Census - Sarah is recorded as housekeeper, 227 High Street, Watford with her children, GEORGE BIRCH and his children [from previous marriage to MARY ANN BENNETT], GEORGE 11 & WILLIAM 10.
4. 1872 [17th March] marriage to GEORGE BIRCH, Witnesses CHARLOTTE MONK & THOMAS VALE. Sarah's father is recorded as HENRY WEEDON a Tailor. George's father is recorded as GEORGE BIRCH, a shoemaker.
5. 1865 Watford Newspaper reported Court of Petty Sessions that WILLIAM BAKER NEWTON is accused of being father of Herbert Henry.
6. Unable to find any of the family in the 1881 census but both Herbert and Thomas were apprenticed fishermen in Grimsby Lincolnshire 1883 where the family settled.

I am unable to find any further details or deaths for Sarah or George.

There seem to be many links and marriages between the Birch's and Weedon's over several generations. [one branch in South Africa/ Rhodesia]

I found one bc for a FEMALE WEEDON 26th August 1845 Watford Union, Rickmansworth with mother recorded as CAROLINE WEEDON and again no father.

Its driving me mad so any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I am nevertheless prepared for further blanks as I have a feeling some of the facts may have been 'misrepresented' in the first place.

Best wishes
Steph

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Further to previous message - related Birch family were originally from Chesham.

Many thanks

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 October 14 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph,

I will have a good look.  Undoubtedly we are related somewhere in the distant past.  Do you have any living male Weedon relatives?  I have connected with some Weedon relatives by way of DNA matching.  Always looking for more using this method.  I would be happy to speak to you offline about my Weedon research embodied in a 150 page report.

R. Peter Weedon
Jersey, Channel Islands

Weedon and variants

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
Steph,

The 1871 census shows Sarah Weedon as a widow which suggests her maiden name may not have been Weedon.  Perhaps Weedon was her married name in 1871.  Thoughts?

Peter
Weedon and variants

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Steph

Herbert Henry Weedon's December 1887 marriage in Great Grimsby to Mary Jane Witty suggests his father's name was George Weedon - possibly referring to his step father George?  Comments?

Peter
Weedon and variants

Offline rpweedon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
Steph,

Did Herbert Weedon die in 1898 in Epsom Surrey age 33? 

Peter
Weedon and variants

Offline Steph 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 October 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Thank you so much for such quick response.

I was so pleased to hear from you with some further thoughts on my Weedons. I would love to learn more from your research even if nothing to do with my particular Weedons. I would find it very interesting anyway.

I know what you mean about the 1871 census with Sarah described as widow - but to be brutal, I think Sarah must have lied. Sarah Anne is described later as spinster on the mc to George Birch, but likewise George is described as a bachelor which was not the case. I am unable to find a death certificate or divorce details for his previous marriage.

I found an article via the The National British Newspaper Archive that related to Sarah Anne Weedon's 'illegitimate' child, Herbert Henry Weedon b. 24th December 1864.

Herbert's mc foxed me with George Weedon, Wood Turner documented as father but I think this describes George Birch as you thought.

Thomas Weedon married Catherine Manthorpe in 1890. The mc documents father as --- Weedon [no first name given][deceased] and again 'Wood Turner' so probably referring to George but who knows. All these fibs!

Herbert Henry Weedon died Dec 1937 still in Grimsby Lincolnshire. Poor Thomas drowned at sea when his boat, the Chilion hit Filey Brigg and sank - April 1894. He left a son, William Thomas Weedon, 18mths old. William interestingly [and sadly], also died at sea in 1941 [Navy]

My maiden name is Weeden. Herbert Henry's children all seem to have started to spell their surname as Weeden instead of Weedon, including my grandfather Fred Weeden.

I have 2 brothers and 3 nephews with Weeden surname but there are numerous Weedens in Grimsby Lincolnshire area - no doubt related to me via Herbert [who had 4 boys and 3 girls] and Thomas. [one of my nephews is on the famous Weeden's list if you google the surname]

Peter - I am not sure how to go about off line communication. I did register with Rootschat so my email is available via this forum. If you wouldn't mind informing me how I go about letting you have this, I would love to hear more when you have the time. I really appreciate it - thank you again, although I wouldn't wish to give you the headache I have with this branch of the family, who have obviously done such a marvellous job at hiding the truth. It is unfortunately my direct line and of most interest to me.

Best wishes
Steph