Author Topic: WILLIAM PERCY ALLEN - MY BIGGEST BRICKWALL!  (Read 10246 times)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM PERCY ALLEN - MY BIGGEST BRICKWALL!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 January 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I found him at last- I had seen that one before but for some reason didn't read far enough into it to establish him.
There are one or two points - although they don't help to find him  ::) which I think are here:
Enlistment
Birth: I do think it says St Marks for parish
Dated:  ??? January 18- date has 180 printed and then there is a 9 with blots
Description states ages as 18yrs ? months and is dated ? January 1899
which would give a birth for late 1880
Parents- as named earlier - I'm not sure if they would be current on his discharge but I have no reason/evidence to disprove the date- the writing does look the same as discharge though and your wife is not your next of kin I suppose -  :(

other form still dated Jan 1899 - he is a labourer
another form for enlistment to militia 21 November 1899 - age 18 yrs 1 month - but this is dated January 1899 so perhaps should have read 1898 for enlistment date.

I'm  not at all sure of these various forms but you would think that on enlistment you would give true age (or older if a means to get in the army) rather than give a younger age so perhaps he was born late 1880.

Thanks so much.  It really helps to have another pair of eyes looking at the army records.  Yes it is strange with his age details and I too thought - wonder why his wife wasn't noted as next of kin initially.

I will see what I can find on the St Marks Parish for births around the 1880 range.   I think when I find him I will have to do a victory dance and book a celebratory holiday!
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 January 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
We will have to join you!

I found something on the internet that said St Marks either opened or joined with St margarets 1872 but can't find any reference to parish records  :-\
If you could find them - there might be a baptism to help  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 February 10 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Having no joy with my quest on the St Margarets records - it's pretty tricky being all the way here in NZ  :'(

Are there any baptisms at all for WILLIAM PERCY ALLEN at St Margarets Leicester between 1876-1880?

Or a marriage  of CHARLES ALLEN TO SARAH ? at St Margarets Leicester around this time frame also?

There was a sister known as NELLIE ALLEN (I wonder if she was born ELLEN?) but I do not know if she is older or younger.

Super hard solving this mystery. 
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 06 February 10 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi HistoryFan,

I have a freebie disk that lists baptisms at St. Margaret's Leic upto 1878. I haven't been able to find anyone that could be your William Percy unfortunately. I tried all combinations I could think of re: with or without a middle name/initial, surname Allen, surname Jenkins, surname anything at all, father Charles, single mother Sarah etc. etc.

Hopefully someone else that has additional records upto 1880 will see this and be able to find him for you - Good Luck.

There's nothing at St. Margaret's up to 1878 but I don't have the data for the next 2 yrs, nor any marriage data.
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 07 February 10 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi HistoryFan,

I have a freebie disk that lists baptisms at St. Margaret's Leic upto 1878. I haven't been able to find anyone that could be your William Percy unfortunately. I tried all combinations I could think of re: with or without a middle name/initial, surname Allen, surname Jenkins, surname anything at all, father Charles, single mother Sarah etc. etc.

Hopefully someone else that has additional records upto 1880 will see this and be able to find him for you - Good Luck.

There's nothing at St. Margaret's up to 1878 but I don't have the data for the next 2 yrs, nor any marriage data.

Thanks and I so appreciated you looking at the material up to 1878.  That was very kind. 

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 February 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
I realise that this isn't going to be much help really but I just had a thought re the Nottingham address.
I wonder if it would be possible to check the Burgess Rolls (voters' lists) to see if there is an entry for 22 Garden Street.
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/microficheandmicrofilm.pdf has some information.
You would imagine that he gave the address with parents on enlistment rather than discharge but even so the time span is not that great.

Part of me is inclined to think that William just invented one or both parents -probably dad - but then by giving such a specific occupation for dad, I think perhaps not.  ???
Likewise, there must be some connection wtih Garde Street- otherwise why give it as a contact address.

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 08 February 10 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood.  Yes I think there was a bit of invention going on in William's world there.  I will check out the link - thanks so much for it.

Offline julieg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 October 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, did you ever sort out this mystery? I am asking because he is on my Netley Cemetery web site and I would like to know more about him. Would that be okay with you?
Take a look at my site and maybe you could write a few details about him for me please? Let me know if I have the wrong details.

www.netley-military-cemetery.co.uk

Best Wishes
Julie

netley military cemetery

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 October 12 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Julieg

Thks for your post here and the two direct messages you previously sent asking me if I would like to post on your Netley Website.

I've now just responded via DM with some further information for your website.

Kind Regards