Author Topic: Looking for information on James Whitecross born 1841 in Aberdeenshire.  (Read 17401 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on James Whitecross born 1841 in Aberdeenshire.
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Think I might have found something that meets most of the criteria - only fly in the ointment is that father's name is Francis!.

1851 - 20 Hunter Street, Dundee, Forfarshire (Angus)

Francis Whitecross     30     Turner                b. Kirriemuir, Forfarshire
Helen Whitecross        34                              b. Armagh, Ireland
James Whitecross       12     Basket Maker    b. Old Machar, Aberdeenshire
William Whitecross       8      Scholar              b.          ditto
David Whitecross         5                                b. St. Nicholas, Aberdeenshire
Helen Whitecross         3                                             ditto

Roll CSSCT1851_63

1861 - 184 South Street, Perth, Perthshire

Francis Whitecross    40    Labourer in Foundry    b. Kirriemuir, Forfarshire
Ann Whitecross         28                                        b. Dundee, Forfarshire
William Whitecross    17     B. Moulder (app).        b. Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
+ 2 Boarders - both Labs. in Iron Foundry  

(1st wife Helen has died and Francis remarried to a younger model!!)

IGI shows Francis Whitecross married Helen Marshall 28/12/1838 Old Machar, Aberdeenshire.

An Iron Moulder would work in a Foundry and this family fits.
Children born Aberdeenshire - 2 born St. Nicholas, Aberdeen so family lived there for a while.
Lived in Dundee where 2nd wife also born.
With exception of Isabella the family christian names fit.

Just to continue the scenario there is a brief Public Tree on A....y which shows a James Whitecross (seaman) with a wife Elizabeth Ann Nairn - no marriage date/place and no other details about the couple at all - who had a daughter Elizabeth who married a David Hill in 1889 in Dundee.   The actual details shown for this daughter are 'Elizabeth Whitecross or Burnett, b.13/3/1866 Arbroath, Angus, illeg.'   I've run out of credits so can't look at the birth certificate but whilst they have the right parents for her I think whoever the tree belongs to has looked for a likely Elizabeth born in Scotland and cottoned onto this 'Elizabeth Whitecross or Burnett' b.1866.   I looked on the 1901 Census for Dundee and found a David Hill bc.1861 Dundee married to an Elizabeth bc.1865 ENGLAND.  I feel absolutely sure that the Elizabeth Whitecross who married David Hill 1889 Dundee is the dau. of James Whitecross and Elizabeth Narin/Nairn.   Again, with no credits I can't look at the marriage certificate either but feel sure I'm right.   With her married sister living in Dundee perhaps this is why  Margaret  and her husband went there too.

My brains worn out now so think it's time I went to bed.

Annette

(Just seen latest posts from Gadget which agree with my findings but will post this anyway.   Have we cracked it).
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Think we might have partly cracked it, Annette. Francis was the name given as father on James's first marriage entry (see above #32 )  so I went with that and found the marriage, etc, and the census entries.

Not sure whether we can do much more with Helen Marshall, b, Armagh but at least we have her parents from the death cert of 1882.

Haven't found a death for Francis yet or a baptism record but eyes getting very sore as I'm doing a photo restore in between looking  ::)

So Goodnight  :)

Just seen your comment re 1861 - Helen didn't die until 1882 so Ann must have been a bidie-in

Funny - I did see that family earlier but thought - no - because of the Francis and James down as a basket maker!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Re the Elisabeth Whitecross  b. 13 march 1866, Arbroath. her mother is down as Mary Whitecross or Burness on IGI, extracted, so, as you surmised, they've picked the wrong Elis/zabeth
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 01:49 GMT (UK) »
No Francis Whitecross/alternatives coming up on the Kirriemuir baptisms but there are quite a lot of Whitecrosses on the 1716-1819 batch.

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Well you have been busy ! just wanted to say a big thank you having to rush out which is really anoying because i just want to read all the messages. Will look forward to that later this morning.

thanks to Annette too trying to reply and say thanks but there is no reply box under her message. I am still finding my way around this site, but you have found out so much for me you are a star. ;D

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm so pleased to see how much progress has been made on your query. Well done everyone!
Just to say that the reply button is at the bottom of the page, on the most recent post.
Regards,
flst :)   
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Here they are in 1841;
Maryfield, Dundee
Whitecross Francis 20 labourer, Helen 23 (born Ireland),James 2, Milne James, 20 labourer,Whitecross Alexander,16, labourer (brother to Francis). Apart from Helen all are born outwith the county.
Regards,
flst :)
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes i am very happy and would like to thank  gadget and annette.

Just one thing! evrything ties in but i have James whitecross as the father on james and sarahs marraige certificate 1876  ( his second wife) it does look like james and not francis. This is the only bit that doesnt fit,  Gadget where did you get the information from about his second marriage to elizabeth? where James father is francis?

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
thank you fist,  still a little baffled over francis being James whitecrss father. Gadget said francis appears on the first marrigae certificate but on the second one his father is down as james unless i am reading it incorrectly.