Author Topic: Where is her grave - London area  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Beakie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is her grave - London area
« on: Tuesday 29 December 09 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who could help me on this one?

My Grandaunt - Alvena Emmie FRITSCH b. 13.10.1901 died in 1926.  Her death is registered in Kensington, London.   I have a photograph of her grave, however it is when it was covered with flowers before a headstone was placed.   The photo definitely shows a graveyard as you can see other headstones in the background.

Now for the problem..............  it has always been known in the family that Alvena committed suicide by gassing herself after deciding that she was not good enough to marry the man she was engaged to.   Basically she felt that  his family would not approve of her and her background.   I think that the circumstances of her death must have been kept quiet otherwise she would not have been buried in consecrated ground.

Is there anyone who could guide me as to how I can find out where she might be buried.   

If family tales are to be believed, this was a tragic story of class divide.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Where is her grave - London area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Kensington (Hanwell) Cemetery might be the place to start your search.

I have 3 ancestors from the Kensington area buried there.

Good Luck!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beakie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan,

Thank you for your message and suggestion.   I have now contacted Hanwell and asked them if they would do a search for me.     My fingers are firmly crossed.
Best wishes,
Beakie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 10 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could I suggest reading the help guide, the link is at the top of the board

A Guide to Burials in the London area

As well as listing all the cemeteries in the Kensington and adjacent areas. It also mentions in the end section the laws as they related to suicide burials. From 1823 and 'The Right to Burial Act' all suicides were allowed burial in consecrated ground. By 1926 the only thing that might have been in question is whether she had the right to the full Anglican burial service at her funeral. If her death certificate stated suicide whilst of unsound mind it would not have been an issue. Coroners juries usually brought in that verdict if they could because to commit suicide was still deemed a crime until 1961 (not an issue unless you survived the attempt).

Death by suicide isn't something the family could hush up. All unnatural and unexpected deaths must be investigated by the local Coroner and if the death was deemed to be unnatural as in the case of suicide then the burial would be held up until a public inquest could be held and a death certificate issued. If the proceedings of the inquest were of interest then the local press may very well have given an account of the case in the local newspapers. Whether they did or they didn't this isn't something the family could hush up in their local area including their local church.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beakie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda,
Thank you very much for your message.     Your information about the right to be buried in consecrated ground was particularly interesting.   I received a copy of the death certificate yesterday which says:  "(Found dead) Suffocation due to coal gas poisoning.   Did kill herself while in an state of unsound mind"

This fits in exactly with what you have said.   I was interested to see that she died on the 29th May 1926 and the inquest was held on the 2nd June 1926 with the certificate being issued on the 3rd June 1926.   I don't think that inquests happen that quickly these days.
Best wishes,
Beakie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 10 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

She could still be buried in unconsecrated ground if she wasn't Anglican. When the Victorian cemeteries were established they had two sections. One where the ground was consecrated by the Anglican church for Church of England burials and unconsecrated for everyone else.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk