Author Topic: Vancouver BC Help Please-COMPLETED  (Read 4599 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Vancouver BC Help Please-COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 29 December 09 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I would be much obliged if anyone is able to do the following look up for me.

My Great aunt Jane Ross Gordon Smith emigrated to Vancouver from Scotland in 1907. I have her arriving from Glasgow at Quebec:

S/S IONIAN Passenger List Quebec 2 September 1907

Jane R Smith 44 Scotland , wife of Boilermaker
William Smith, 20, Scotland, Boilermaker
George Smith, 16, Scotland, Clerk
Gordon Smith, 14, Scotland, No Occ.
Hector Smith, 13, Scotland, Child
Jeannie (Jane Ross) Smith, 6, Scotland, Child
David Smith, 3, Scotland, Child

She was travelling to join her husband there, Alexander Smith, who presumably came over earlier, maybe with her two older sons Alexander Smith, 24, and Robert Smith, 18, who are missing also from the quota above.

I believe the family thereafter remained in Vancouver as I have found several Death Index Entries which I believe relate to Jane, her husband, and the three youngest children:

Alexander Smith              Died 8 Feb 1937   age 77        Vancouver      Reg. Number: 1937-09-525322

Jane Ross Gordon Smith   Died 20 Nov 1941 age 79       Vancouver      Reg. Number: 1941-09-597165

Hector Smith              Died 30 Dec 1982 age 88           Vancouver       Reg. Number: 1982-09-021359
Jane Ross Smith         Died 02 Aug 1979 age 79          Vancouver        Reg. Number: 1979-09-012071
David Smith                Died  02 Sep 1972 age 69         Vancouver       Reg. Number: 1972-09-012136

Now in an ideal world what I would like is some kind soul to look up the certs themselves, and furnish me with copies transcripts, and/or find out if any obits were printed which might give some clues to the lives they led there, and if any living relatives remain today.

However I realise that is a great deal, and even so much as the one transcript for Jane Ross Gordon's death in 1941 would be enough to make me very happy indeed!

Thanks in advance.

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver BC Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Should also add I have them on the 1911 Census there:

216 Vernon , Vancouver City
Smith Alexander    M     Head    M     52  Nov    1859        
Smith Jane             F    Wife       M    50  Aug  1861       
Smith Robert         M    Son        S    22    Jan    1889       
Smith George        M    Son        S    20    Jan    1891    tinsmith
Smith Hector         M    Son        S    17    Aug    1896    fitter
Smith Jane            F    Daughter     S    10    Jul    1901       
Smith David          M    Son        S    7    Jun    1904    

(All Presbyterian, Scottish, year of emigration mistakenly given as 1908)
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I can look them up for you.  I won't be able to get to the library until after the New Year holidays but I think they reopen on Sunday.

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lynwen.

Have also sent an email through to you covering our Mallandain link etc, hopefully it has got through to you fine!

Regards

Richard

Offline jewhite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver BC Help Please-COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Richard,
My children, twins, *, are descendants of Alexander SMITH and Jeannie/Jane Ross GORDON through Robert SMITH, his son (my girls' great grandfather), born 08 Jan 1889 in Glasgow, died 29 May 1970 in Vancouver.  He was the brother to Jane SMITH.

Robert SMITH married 1926 Euphemia MONTGOMERY (1885-1976) in Prince Rupert, BC, a rainy fishing community up the coast.
Their son, David Christie SMITH (1919-1970) may or may not have married Catherine Mary PATERSON (1920-2000); they may not have lived together for very long...I have a picture of the tall, lean David CHRISTIE in an army uniform, during WWII.
Their son, * (adopted by the man Catherine PATERSON did marry) is the father of my girls, *

A whole community of Isle of LEWIS Scots settled in East Vancouver and supported each other (boarding houses, etc)
I see Alexander listed his "place of habitation" in the 1911 Census as Vernon, where MY Scottish Grandfather, Robert WADDELL of Bathgate, was ranching at the time.  Vernon was an area, on a 100 mile-long lake, where a future Governor-General of Canada pioneered, Lord ABERDEEN (Even before Lord Aberdeen became Governor General in 1893, he and Lady Aberdeen had fallen in love with Canada), a Scot, was living there and attracted a lot of other Scottish people to the area, now about a 4 hour drive from Vancouver; then, a train ride. My e-mail is (*)  I have other information.  PS Where did the GORDON name come from for Jane Ross GORDON?  When you say COMPLETED, does this mean you don't need any more information??.  Thanks for some of the death dates you did provide, that I did not have...JW

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jewhite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver BC Help Please-
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 07:51 GMT (UK) »
To continue, In Sept. 1922 Robert SMITH took his wife and several children to Jasper, Wyoming.  On an Alien Manifest List, he lists his contact in Vancouver as his father, Alexander SMITH, living at 2555 Turner, in Vancouver (Vancouver to Seattle, Washinton, USA Passenger and Crew Lists).  You can Google the address, and even get the street view today, still in the East Vancouver area....it is only about 15 min. max. from where I live...

Request: Do you have ancestors for Alexander SMITH or Jane Ross GORDON?

Thanks

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janet

I tried to reply to you via the email adress originally on your post here a couple of weeks ago but have not received a reply so unsure as to whether it got through.

I am still very much researching the family, and it is great to hear from you.

The info as I have it to date for your branch is as follows

Robert Smith, born 08 Jan 1889 15 Teviot Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He immigrated to Canada aged 17 May 1906. His brother Alexander had gone over 7 May 1904 S/S SARDINIAN, and his father Alexander six months after that on S/S PRETORIAN in November 1904. Their father went back to Scotland in 1907 to gather his wife Jane and their six younger children and they came to Canada in September 1907 on the S/S IONIAN.

Robert I have down as marrying Euphemia Montgomery, b. 10 Oct 1895 Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland dau of Daniel Montgomery and Katherine Christie, on 26 February 1915 at Prince Rupert B.C.

Three children to my knowledge:

Robert Hector Smith b.  29 Nov 1915 Vancouver. I think he married a 'Connie', but absolutely no more info on him to date.

David Christie Smith b. 26 Mar 1919 Vancouver, I have some death details for him as 08 Jun 1970 Qualicum Beach, B.C, but not sure if this is correct? Your information is the first clue I had of any family details for him.

Kenneth Vivian Smith b.31 Jul 1923 Vancouver. Married Marjorie Edna Smith, died 25 Jul 1978 Vancouver.

Their father Robert died 29 May 1970 Vancouver, mother Euphemia died 16 Apr 1976 Essondale, B.C.

Robert's mother Jane Ross Gordon b. 17 Oct 1862  Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland died 20 Nov 1941 Vancouver, was the daughter of my great-great grandparents James Gordon, a Master Cooper of Aberdeenshire and his wife Elspet Troup. Their youngest son Alexander Milne Gordon, b.1868 was my great grandfather.

I am in contact with three other cousins in Canada, Scotland, and U.S.A (I'm in England) who are all descended from the same couple and between us have done a fair bit of research into the family to date. Would certainly be interested in sharing further information with you.

Kind regards

Richard

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 12:24 BST (UK) »

Jane Smith Gordon - The Vancouver Sun Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
21 Nov 1941, Fri    Page 8

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75664386/mrs-jane-r-g-smith-21-november-1941/

The Vancouver Sun Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 21 Nov 1941, Fri    Page 22

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75664438/jane-ross-smith-21-november-1941/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 12:27 BST (UK) »
David Smith -

The Vancouver Sun Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada  5 Sep 1972, Tue    Page 42

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75668252/david-smith-5-september-1972/

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLY5-N4V

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada