Author Topic: 'Captain Jack' John RICHARDS  (Read 16785 times)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Captain Jack' John RICHARDS
« on: Wednesday 30 December 09 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I am looking into an 'uncle' of my g-grandfather.  He was known as 'Captain Jack' and was resident in Haverfordwest - St Davids or LLanrian are where the family came from.  I have a possibility of him being a genetic uncle by the name of John Herbert Richards.  There is always the possibility that he was a family friend and not a blood-relation.   BMD give John H Richards a birth date of 1875. His nick nmae came about from his occasional sailing to Ireland (apparently not always paying any duty on anything he brought back!).

There is the possibility that he is living in Cathedral Close in 1906 (his name is on the sister's death certificate.  Does anyone know if he was still there in 1911?

He was certainly still living in the area in the 1920s/early 30s as he was visiting by my g-grandfather and my grandfather was born in 1926 and remembers him being alive when he was a child.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 'CAPTAIN JACK' JOHN RICHARDS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if he was still there in 1911?

The 1911 census is only available on a strictly pay per view basis and lookups are not allowed here - Rootschat policy.   

Have you checked the 1881 census for him which is free to search at www.familysearch.org - it may show if there was any family connection
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 'CAPTAIN JACK' JOHN RICHARDS
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 17:25 GMT (UK) »
John Richards is listed in 1881 as a child and my GG Grandmother's brother.  I cannot find him (or his sister) in 1891 as his father and mother are dead by then and the family have dispersed.  A possible candidate for his sister Elizabeth is on Ramsay Island in St David's Parish in 1901 (her son's birth certificate shows that she is there is 1897) but the age is wrong. His address is given in 1906 as Cathedral Sq and there is a John Richards of that name there in 1901 but the links are still a bit tenuous.

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: 'Captain Jack' John RICHARDS
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking at your query, on the face of it was a very simple answer ~ or so I thought, just wrong again!!

Egbert Eira Richards was baptized at Llanrhian in 1886
George Hargrave Richards was baptized at Llanrhian in 1886
Stephen Thomas Victor Richards was baptized at Llanrhian in 1886

Experience shows that so many baptised at the same time and based on the fact that they are mature children by the time of their baptism that the family has only just arrived in the parish and that they are catching up with their religious requirements, Also ofcourse they needed to prove that they resided in the parish in case they needed poor relief in the future, and would not be transported back to another parish.

My other reaction to the ’81 was that this may be John’s 2nd mrge, but with 21 mrge’s for a John Richards in the Haverfordwest Reg District between 1847 and 1874, it is impossible to determine if and who his 1st mrge might have been.

I note the baptism of a John Richards at St David’s in 1827 and his probable mrge in 4th Qtr 1873 to Amy Phillips. I presume Amy wife of John Richards died 4th Qtr 1883 aged 39 yrs.

Have you been able to discount that John remarried 1884, 85.

Not sure if this help, hinders or just repeats what you know.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 09 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.  Those are the 3 younger boys from a second marraige.  They were born in Llanrhian in 1877,78 and 81 so I am not sure why they were so slow to be christened.  There were 2 eldr brothers John b1875 and Thomas b 1872.

His first wife was Jane Bateman who died in 1868.  It was their youngest daughter (John's half-sister) Elizabeth who was my GG Grandmother.

Thank you for filling in some more details.  I thought that Amy died in 4th Q 1886 so I will check my research.  John dies in the 1880s (poss 1889) and the family disperse.  The children of the second marraige end up in the workhouse or emigrate.  They are all missing from the 1891 census but reappear in 1901.

Alan

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 December 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a second Amy Richards who dies in the Haverfordwest area but in Dec 1886 when she is 40.  This is a better match as I beleieve that she was born in Whitchurch in 1847.

I don't know if the 1827 Christening record for John lists his parents but I believe that they were called Thomas and Ann.

thanks

Alan

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 December 09 15:50 GMT (UK) »
For your consideration ;
A Thomas Richard(no ‘s’) widow and Labourer of St Edrens mrd Anne Nicholas at St Davids 11 July 1822.
A Thomas Richard of St David’s mrd Anne Evan at Whitchurch 05 July 1832
A Thomas Richards a Farmer of Mathry mrd Ann Louisa Thomas at Llanrhian 07 Mar 1820
A Thomas Richards mrd Anne Gould at Fishguard 08 Dec 1833

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 December 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Number 3 for sure as her middle name was indeed Louisa according to their marraige records. The family came from Mathry.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 December 09 16:05 GMT (UK) »
The family came from Mathry and lived at Torbant farm which is now a B&B . The 1851 census has her down as an Ann L Richards.