Author Topic: British subjects in Russia  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Ferrit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British subjects in Russia
« on: Wednesday 30 December 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
My 2xgreat grandfather,David KILBURN, was born in Kiev in 1838. He was recorded as a British subject.  His older brother,William, was born in St Petersburg. His parents came from Yorkshire(West Riding), and were on the census in Leeds by 1851.
His father, James Kilburn, was a master weaver, which may be relevant.
Can anyone throw any light on why the family may have been in Russia; and how I can obtain David's birth certificate?

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: British subjects in Russia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
There were a fair number of British subjects in Russia at that time as Russia was keen to develop its cotton industry and contracted men [and presumably women] with the relevant skills from the Lancashire and Yorkshire mill towns. One of the families that I am researching ended up in the St Petersburg area. The father worked for Mather & Platt of Manchester who were, I understand, contracted to the Russian Government of the time to provide weaving equipment.

As I understand it most of the British subjects registered the births of their children with the British Consul and they should show up in the GRO overseas records.

In the old days it was possible to consult those index volumes at the Family Records Centre, now closed. However this page give some information on how to access the records now:

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Overseas_Births,_Marriages_and_Deaths

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline Ferrit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Having looked around a bit I don't think a record exists anywhere apart from census records but I have got a date of birth and christening (in St Petersburg)now, so shall keep on looking!

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 December 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Coming in very late on this but I was doing other research in Kyiv and there is a whole page of Kilburn and the St Petersburg consulate on Family Search site.