Author Topic: HALL  (Read 7780 times)

Offline jahjahau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HALL
« on: Thursday 31 December 09 03:02 GMT (UK) »

The earliest records of my HALL family show them as farmers in the townland of Corlust (between Markethill and Poyntz Pass) in Armagh, in Northern Ireland. 

There is a lease dating from the late 1700s to John Hall of Corlust for the lives of William, Thomas and Henry Hall.

6 March 1829 - William Hall dead.  Henry aged about 62 is very ill and not expected to live.  Thomas aged 58 in possession of the farm.  I acknowledge that the above are the particulars of the lease which I hold my farm in Corlust under Col. Graham and which I hereby certify.

Signed Thom Hall  06 March 1829.  Last life died 07 Feb 1845.

The 1847 rent book shows that the 18 acres previously leased by Thomas HALL was  leased as follows:
John HALL junior 11 acres  John HALL senior 4 acres  Samuel HALL 3 acres

In 1848 John senior was ejected.  Ellen HALL’s name appears in the records the following year as leasing the 4 acres previously held by John senior. 

In 1849 Ellen seems to have been in financial trouble - she failed to keep the lease. 

On 29 May 1851, Samuel HALL died and his land was taken over by Moses GREER, which suggests Samuel may have been a single man..

In 1852 and 1861 the entire plot of 18 acres was leased to John junior alone. 

In 1862 John jr emigrated to Queensland, Australia and he sold his right to the lease to John Irwin

The 1864 Griffiths Valuation has Ellen HALL subleasing a house only, from John IRWIN.

SO, it appears
John HALL of Corlust, Armagh had the following sons:
•   William, who was born in about the 1760s. He died before 6 March 1829, when his father’s lease was renewed.
•   Henry, who was born about 1767.   
•   Thomas, who was born about 1771.  He died on 18 February 1845, according to the 1845 rental book.  He was about 74 at the time.  He leased land in Corlust until his death in 1845.  he had a son John who rented 4 acres of land in Corlust until he was ejected in 1848.  He may have died before 1864, as he is not mentioned in the Griffiths Evaluation and ?married Eliza FULTON.  Their son, John Thomas HALL, emigrated to Queensland, Australia in 1863.
•   Samuel, who died on 29 May 1851 in Corlust.  His 3 acres was taken over by Moses GREER; ?marr 1797 

Oral family history records that
:John Hall and Eliza FULTON had five children, a boy, they named John Thomas and four girl
:seven cousins emigrated to New South Wales, Australia.
:John Thomas, his wife and family arrived in Australia with very few possessions besides a dexter rocking chair

Records of the Clare Presbyterian Church, Tandragee, Co. Armagh,  show  two daughters of John HALL and Eliza FULTON were christened in the church - Jane Eliza, christened 13 October, 1844 and Sarah Matilda, christened 26 January, 1849.  The christening records indicate the family was living in Corlust at the time. 

I have some church records from the Clare Presbyterian Church in Tandragee for HALL but can't yet connect them to my line - there are marriages between HALL and  FINN, DICKSON, CAMPBELL, McKEE, BLACK in the mid 1800s.

Pension records show an Ellen HALL  Father Daniel KELLY  Mother Dorothy KELLY in Parish of Kilmore.

The family in Queensland, Australia - names Margaret, Jane, Sarah, William, Thomas, Henry and John appear in sucessive generations.

Does anyone else have connections to these HALLs?

Judy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HALL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 May 10 19:28 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane Hall ,nee Hamilton, Died on the 3rd of October 1921 , age 87 , at Amberley , Willowbank , Queensland , Australia
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jahjahau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have her death certificate. 

Are you connected to the family?

Offline indy500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 November 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Your post of Thurs. Dec 31, 2009 concerning Hall Family.
There seems as though there must be some connection between this family and the Hall family I am researching in the same general area.  I have been searching for information concerning my great grandfather, Thomas Hall who was born at Clare in Armagh County in 1850.  He married Margaret Gardiner daughter of Mark Gardiner and Mary Ann Kiens (Cairns) in 1871 at the 2nd Presbyterian Church in Portadown.  Her brother William Gardiner and his sister Agnes Hall witnessed the marriage.

Thomas and his brother, John immigrated to the United States aboard the "City of Paris" arriving at the port of New York 7 October 1872.  His wife and young son joined him the following year.

Thomas also had brothers, William, born in April 1844, who immigrated aboard the ship "The Queen" from Liverpool and London on 1 July 1869.  He married Margaret A. Haire daughter of John Haire in 1871 and Samuel Hall b. 1848 Immigrated aboard the ship, "Nemesis" out of Liverpool on 25 April 1870.  Samuel married Sarah Haire, sister of Margaret on 12 August 1866 at Crewmore Meeting House, Ballymore, County Armagh.   They had daughter, Mary Anne and son, William J. Hall born at Poyntpass prior to their departure for America.

All of these sons joined their father, Robert Hall who had emigrated to America in 1862 and settled in Allegany County, New York.

Here is where my mystery begins..

Thomas Hall's death certificate states that his mother was Hannah Greer (this information provided by his son Thomas) .  In 1860 and subsequent census returns Robert Hall has a wife named Ellen whom he married about 1860 according to census records.

On his passport application in 1923 he states his father was Robert Hall who was deceased and that he was born in Clare, County Armagh, Ireland.

It appears that Robert Hall (born in 1824) had a first wife named, Hannah Greer, who either died prior to 1860 or were divorced (seems unlikely).   He and his new wife, Ellen, departed Armagh County Ireland in 1862 with a young daughter named Margaret.

After their arrival in New York Robert & Ellen  had  Robert Jr., b. about 1864,  Bettie born about 1863,  Abram Lincoln (who went by Lincoln) in 1867,  Ellen born about 1869 and Annie born about 1870. 

Robert and Ellen joined John Hall and his wife Jane in Allegany County who had arrived there previous to 1860 when they appear on the 1860 census.  John was born about 1812.  (presumed to be his brother but may be a cousin).

Thomas Hall and Hugh Greer (probably a cousin's son) both applied for passports and traveled together to visit family and friends in County Armagh in 1923.  Hugh Greer states that his father was Robert Greer. 

In a letter in my possession dated 28 July 1923 from Tandragee, Thomas Hall writes to my grandmother that he was staying at his grandfather's farm (fails to mention which grandfather) and that the next day he was going to try to find his sister's children.   He states he has found a few old friends one who was his Sunday School teacher who was 101 years old. 

All of these Hall sons appear to have been well educated.  Thomas hall always referred to himself as "an Orangeman."  He was active in community affairs as were his brothers in New York.  His brother John did not marry and was in the military for a number of years.

Could the Ellen you mention in your post be the wife of Robert who possibly remained in Ireland for a period of time after her husband had emigrated to America, joining him later?

Karen

Offline jahjahau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 June 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
I have been trying to chip away at this HALL brick wall which has frustrated me for 30 years.  I am certain there is a link between our lot, but where and how is the question.  GREERs were neighbours of the HALLs in Corlust, though there  were GREERs elsewhere. 

The 1901 and 1911 census records for Corlust show

Henry Hall, weaver
Children:
1. James Hall, weaver =1889 Charlotte Thompson dau of Jas THOMPSON, weaver; witness Geo McCart
*2. William Hall weaver, = Margaret Muldrew 1883; witness Henry Hall
3. Robert Hall, weaver - 1882 Mgt McCarthy of Ballyshielmore - dau of Sam McCarthy; witness Wm Hall

....*1911 census Wm HALL weaver 52 (the William above)
Mgt MULDREW 51
Violet HALL 27
Ellen HALL 19
Bella Lucinda HALL 15
John HALL 10
Wm HALL 5

The Ellen HALL who was in Corlust is still a mystery.  Don't know who she was. 
Sorry, not much help.
Judy