Author Topic: Transferring emails to memory stick  (Read 23368 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring emails to memory stick
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 December 09 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget with Windows Mail (Vista) its slightly different and easier to transfer but you can't take them backwards to an outlook account  :-\
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 December 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for continued help and advice.

Jamjar I am totally confused, I was going away from my computer for a few days and wanted to put my emails onto a memory stick in order to get some paperwork done using them.

I believe it is possible to save individual emails but I was thinking along the lines of selecting about 50 or so and saving them onto the memory stick.

I will keep trying.
Ewan

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 December 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
To be honest it is easier to save the whole database (outlook.pst) rather than mess about with individual emails,

You can export a folder from within Outlook by highlighting the folder and then selecting File >> Export from the menubar at the top left hand corner.  You can export all the emails within the folder to a CSV file but when you open it you will probably be disappointed with the layout.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace Jardine - Morrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 December 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Now I understand Ewen.  :)

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 January 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Be careful but:

In Outlook and Outlook express it is easy to save individual folders going through the menu 'File/Export' (if I remember rightly, I now have Vista and 'Windows Mail' which does use that method). However, using this method of saving, you do have to have an e-mail programme (preferably the same) on the computer where you are going to work on your batch of mails, in order to open and read them.

In Windows mail, to save an individual mail (including attached photos) you select the message and then in the menu 'File/Save as' and it comes up with an address and the extension .eml

When I select these messages in Windows Explorer I see a preview of the mail and double clicking opens it full screen but exactly like reading a received mail, including most of what appears when I open the mail programme. However I cannot decide whether it is opening my copy of Windows Mail or a reduced version, saved with the file. Obviously, to edit the message, I would have to copy/past to 'word' for example.

And that leads to the penultimate solution, before you go off, open each mail you want to work on and copy the contents to word documents.

And another solution, if the computer you will be working on has access to the internet, create an on-line e-mail account with say Yahoo or Google, Live or Hotmail and forward the mails there.
cheers, falcybe
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 January 10 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you downside and falcybe for your suggestions also.

I managed it in the end by file - export- message - microsoft window mail.

I created a new file, selected the whole lot and moved them into this new file.

Thank you once again for all help.
Ewan

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 January 10 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, duplicated ::)