Author Topic: Liddesdale Ancient Battles  (Read 1762 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liddesdale Ancient Battles
« on: Thursday 31 December 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I've researched the myths/legends/internet conjecture concerning the progenitor of the Armstrong family, & am now looking at Brythonic Celt origins. In the process I found some info detailing a battle at Arthuret between Peredur (aka 'Steel Arm') & Caer Gwendolleau. Further research revealed Gwendolleau to be from Liddesdale.
These probable Kingdom of Rheged Celts may have been connected to the Cervantii, Brigante & Selgovae tribes. The Brigantes were supposedly linked to Brigit who had a three-armed circular crest as her emblem. Many Armstrong Border graves have three arms carved into them - although in a different style.
I was wondering how much of the above is factual & how much yet more mythology?
Also, I've just discovered an old internet message from a Roy Graham* who mentioned the Brigantes speaking of a people called the 'Strong Arm' from north of Hadrian's Wall. Does anyone have info on this?
Many thanks (& Happy New Year!!!)
Bob
PS I see from further  searches that the gentleman's  full name should read Roy Graham Perkins
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.