Author Topic: Moses Smedley and Family  (Read 4156 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Moses Smedley and Family
« on: Thursday 31 December 09 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

im trying to find out anything i can on Moses Smedley and Family.
They appear on the 1911 as follows:

Moses Smedley born 1865 Canterbury,Fish Hawker.

Mary Ann ??? born 1866 Croydon,Pedlar.

William born 1892 Chatham,Kent,Flower Hawker.

Cecelia born 1892Gravesend,Kent,Flower Hawker.

Susannah born 1894 Sittingbourne,Kent

Mary Ann born 1906 Lewes,Sussex

Lydia born 1898 Hastings,Sussex

Betsy born 1900 Dover,Kent.

Thomas born 1903 Chatham,Kent

Samuel born 1906 Rolvenden,Kent.

Rose born 1908 Whitstable,Kent

James born 1910 Ramsgate,Kent.

All living at 1 Bocton Street,Ramsgate.

My connection is through Cecelia Smedleys marriage to George Daisy Thanet o/n/d 1913.

Theres also a marriage between an Elizabeth Smedley and Edward Hughes a/m/j 1930 Thanet which could be Betsy.

This is al ive been able to find on them,no other census returns,no marriage for a Moses Smedley and no likely marriages for any of the others.

If anyone can find anything else id be very grateful,

Thanks

Nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Smedley and Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 09 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

just a bit more on this.Ive noticed theres a Moses Emmett born 1861 Canterbury on the 1881.
Hes living with his parents and siblings in tents near Ashford in Kent.

Some of the siblings have same names as Moses Smedleys children.

Im wondering if this could be them.At first glance,substituting Smedley for Emmett doesnt appear to help.

Nel

Offline arnold74

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 12 18:56 GMT (UK) »
hi there i think this is my family smedleys my nans name was rose smedley she married jim arnold then went on to have 7 kids jimmy jack billy tommy henry rose and jeanie arnold they live in chatham i no she had a sister called lydia who ad a son called frankie smith i no there was another sister cecelia and her kids would have been in the name youens

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 12 12:27 GMT (UK) »
hi.
adding to the NELWILD reply there was a family of Emmetts in the Canterbury/Ashford of Kent who changed their surname by a marriage to Lee they settled in a near by town called Faversham also the surname Smedley can be found in that town there may be a connection there perhaps.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline boltactionuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 July 13 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Mosey Emmitt is my gt gt grandfather who was nicknamed ' the biggest ram in Chatham) and changed his second name often, told to me by a family member (Moby of Thanet).Smedley of sugar loaf hill Chatham. George Daisy (ramsgate) 'the toffee apple king'
My father remembers his uncle Jimmy "black as black" running donkeys on the beach and a "god given family right" to seafood stall. Ann Smedley is my gt grandmother. Father (david latham ashford weald) has cousins (Arnold's) but they were for some reason unknown to him close family. In ramsgate they was teased as seaside Gypsies.

Offline boltactionuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 July 13 07:24 BST (UK) »
Nel I also see the camp noted in ashford and felt this was the same Moses but just a feeling

Offline Liz Beckham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 August 16 20:27 BST (UK) »
Samuel Smedley married in Chatham 1947 Georgina Beckham widow of Ernest John Beckham, he didn't have kids with her but he was my father in laws step father
From looking into the Smedley's I found Moses was Moses Emmett son of John Emmett b1837 and Charlotte Lee b1844, John Emmett was the son of Abraham Emmett and Susannah Lee.
Mary Ann Smedley wife of Moses was the daughter of Henry Smedley b1835 and Mary Ann b 1840, I've also found this family as Warne in Deptford.

Offline boltactionuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
Nel,
I can give you information as far back as John Draper (Cranbrook) 1719
James Brown (Cranbrook) 1727 Anne Moor  1725 for both sides of Mosey's family tree.
More info available if needed. Look into John and Eleanor Daisey. A wagon fire outside of Faversham 24 Dec1848 were five young girls lost their lives. Very sad. Priscila, Rossetta, Matilda, Adaliade and Cilia Daisey.