Author Topic: Looking for a marriage - HELP PLEASE  (Read 4794 times)

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for a marriage - HELP PLEASE
« on: Monday 14 March 05 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the marriage of Alfred Blake of Trevanson and Grace of Kilhampton probably around 1861. Alfred was born in 1834 and Grace in 1835. Would like to find out Grace's Surname believe it could be Bonetta?

Cheers
Andy
Surname Interests.

Allin - Sutcombe, Devon * Blake - Cornwall, Cardiif * Campbell - Durness * Cockburn - London and Scotland * Elsey - London * Facey -  Holsworthy, Devon * Falconer - Durness and Eddrachillis * Hartfall - Gosport * Hopkins - Barry and Sully * Howell - Cheptow * Larkin - Bromley, Kent * Lambert - Sturminster Newton, Dorset * McDonald - Compton Gifford, Plymouth * Moxley  - St Arvans * Smith - Bethnal Green * Taylor - Portishead * Wickenden - Southsea * Yeo - Cornwall and Devon

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a marriage - HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 05 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Kilkhampton does have an OPC who is prepared to do lookups.

Contact details on Cornish OPC site.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 05 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help on all three posts Fizzy

Cheers
Andy
Surname Interests.

Allin - Sutcombe, Devon * Blake - Cornwall, Cardiif * Campbell - Durness * Cockburn - London and Scotland * Elsey - London * Facey -  Holsworthy, Devon * Falconer - Durness and Eddrachillis * Hartfall - Gosport * Hopkins - Barry and Sully * Howell - Cheptow * Larkin - Bromley, Kent * Lambert - Sturminster Newton, Dorset * McDonald - Compton Gifford, Plymouth * Moxley  - St Arvans * Smith - Bethnal Green * Taylor - Portishead * Wickenden - Southsea * Yeo - Cornwall and Devon

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 05 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the 1841 census for Kilkhampton ?

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 05 18:00 GMT (UK) »
There are loads of Blakes at Trevanson in 1841 but not your Alfred.

Who were his parents and siblings ?

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 05 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fizzy

Alfred's Father was a Charles Blake believed to have been born in 1798 in Lostwithiel his mother was a Charlotte Moxley born in 1799 in Monmouthshire but she died in 1836. He had one sibling a boy born in 1836 but have no idea of the childs name. I know that in 1836 Charle's mother and sister Ann were living in Trevanson. Charles also had an older brother who inherited an estate in Penlynt? This brother also had a daughter who died at the age of 9.

Charles was a preacher for the bible christian connection and so traveled around a lot I know he preached in Mevagissey and the Isles of Scilliy, Monmouthshire and in Devon. After Charlotte died due to complications in the birth of the second child he publish a book about her life which is where most of my information is from. I do think I have found him again in 1861 census living with a second wife called Martha and a daughter Elizabeth in Tiverton, but as I cannot place Alfred there at the same time because he got married in 1857, so I cannot be absolutely sure. This Charles though is also a Bible Christian so I am confident it is him.

Thanks for th interest and any help would be great.

Cheers

Andy
Surname Interests.

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 05 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Something I meant to say when I last posted was on the 1881 census was have you noticed that Alfred and four of the children have an M initial in their names and at least one of these is for Moxley so I wonder if they all were  ?

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 March 05 16:39 GMT (UK) »
There was a family of Blakes who owned what looks like a huge farm in Pelynt ( 8 servants) but the Head was Jonathan Blake aged 25 - inherited from his father who may have been Charles' brother maybe ?

It is a mystery where Alfred is in 1841 . He doesnt appear to be anywhere that is already transcribed into FREECEN.

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 March 05 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I know, its killing me. He would have only have been 7 and his brother if he survived would have been 5. I suppose they could have been staying with relatives somewhere or maybe sent away to school. Would kids have been sent away at this age?

You are right about the Moxley name, it was also handed down for another two generations.

Thanks Fizzy

Andy
Surname Interests.