Author Topic: HOYLE - Rochdale, Whitworth  (Read 6165 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HOYLE - Rochdale, Whitworth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 September 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
As I said - a fascinating story to be researching. Two observations: the surname 'Hoyles', rather than 'Hoyle'. In Rochdale St Chad'd baptism register for the years around Samuel's birth, there is not one 'Hoyles'. I would think he must have been Hoyle.
Second observation - the practice of pressed service into the RN was, to the best of my knowledge, restricted to coastal communities. Since Whitworth is quite some way from the sea ... either, Samuel happened to be by the coast at the time of his impress (at a time in history when travel far from one's native town / village was highly uncommon ... though he may have been a runaway) OR the story is a family legend, embroidered (by Samuel?) over the years. That the place name Whitworth was mentioned in his US obituary is the most significant feature of the item. Perhaps you could find out more about the church of which Samuel was such a stalwart member. If Samuel came from a nonconformist background then his baptism may not have been conducted in the established church.
Just some random thoughts ... I hope you will post any developments you manage to make.

Offline bedardphoto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 September 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
From further research on his military service, in the prisoner of war records, he is listed as Private in the Royal Artillery. Captured 3 July 1814 (not 1813 as it says in the obit). He was later marched to Canada in March 1815, and as mentioned earlier, he then returned to Massachusetts in the U.S.

Offline bedardphoto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 September 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
I believe he was at Fort Erie in Canada when he was captured. I also believe his name was listed Hoyle in the prisoner records.