Author Topic: My Lincolnshire family: Cocking, Forward etc.  (Read 8418 times)

Offline Juliet Sassenach Pascho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Lincolnshire family: Cocking, Forward etc.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
hi . I am very new to this site.  I am a forward by birth. descended from Thomas forehead in Cornwall...my grandfathers parents were  J HH Forward and Amelia ray .

Offline John in Ontario

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 18 January 18 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Juliet,

We do seem to share some ancestors, but I think you may be partly mistaken about your grandfather's parents.  According to my records, my (Forward) great grandparents were Robert Arber Ray and Ann Elizabeth Potto, my grandparents were John Henry Hercules Forward and Amelia Ray.  Their children were Ralph, Irene, Mildred, and Jack.  Are related to any of these people?

Your name "Pascho" is interesting because back in the early 1800's Samuel Forward married Hannah Pascho.  Not sure how this all fits together, but we probably do have common ancestors, but I think you may have the generations wrong. 

If you need some more help, please send me some more details, and I will see if I can help you sort it our.  I do have quite a lot of Forward family history, since my mother was a Forward. 

John.

Offline Juliet Sassenach Pascho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 18 January 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I was tired and mistakenly put in the wrong  person. Jack was my wonderful Grandad. Who's parents are the ones you  correctly named. His son was John, who is my dad . I have a few photos of some of that side. I remember meeting Mildred when I was young (would have to check with mom and dad) .
 The weird thing about Pascho ... I used to play childhood games when I was little . I used to call myself Hanna and  pretended I lived by the sea. When I found Hanna on the tree I was so interested , especially when I found out she was either born or at least registered (not sure which) on my birthday! 
There is a story behind how I became Pascho .. but Its probably not wise to put it  on a public forum.
I do have all of the direct line of ancestors to cornwall thanks to  people on Genes Reunited, but some of the maternal sides .. not so much. I'd like any info you can give me about the  Rays .. there was a story that one of the family did the statue in the park in Grimsby, and the  name does seem to  match one of them , do you know anything about that or more about Amelia. I always knew we had relations in Ontario .
  Thankyou for replying :) ... Jules

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 January 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jules

I'm in Grimsby and have quite a lot of info on the Forwards as my gg grandfather was John Forward (grandfather to your John H H Forward) I can send you what I have so you can compare to your information.
The statue in Peoples Park is called the Smethurst Memorial and was built as a tribute to Henry Smethurst who was, amongst other things, the mayor of Grimsby.  Its was built by Robert W Ray elder brother to your Amelia.

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John in Ontario

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 January 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jules,

So, your grandfather was my Uncle Jack, the antique dealer who had a shop in Hainton Square, with whom I used to spend quite a bit of time.  We used to go to Hull, he to scour for antiques, and me to go trainspotting at Paragon Station.  (I would guess that I was around 10-12 at the time).  I do have some more I can pass along, but not right now.  The information from "Floss" who has some common ancestors with us, is correct, also the war memorial in Louth is his work.  There is a longish story about him going to Florida, that I will tell you later.  He would have been your grandfather's, and my mother's, "Uncle Bob".

If you wish to contact me privately, my email address is john.cocking
  • gmail.com.  (*put in an @ at the appropriate spot)

John. (First Cousin, once removed)