Author Topic: Ripon Road Bournemouth?  (Read 14770 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Ripon Road Bournemouth?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 January 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
No offence taken at all Marcie, the Kellysdirectory is a good idea. Pine Road is off Wimborne Road, next to Calvin Road, opposite the library, same side as police station. Had a look on Wallisdown Road this morning, several houses in that general style, but nothing that rings a bell, the posh garage is now Woods who sell BMWs at astronomical prices, so that would be on the Poole side of the road? There was some sort of police incident there this morning either the bank or strangely at the gents hairdresser, either a bank job, or perhaps someone had shot Don Silvio Berlusconi while he was getting a haircut. All the shearers there are girls!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
PS - I'm wondering if it could also be Richmond Park area. There were a lot of houses built there at around the same time, I think.

You mean just the other side of the traffic lights either coming from charminster or winton?
As if you are heading towards Boscombe.

Can I ask Linda, which school you went to then?
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline LindaJ1959

• RootsChat Member
  • Florence, my Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that sort of area, Marcie.

I went to St Mark's, Talbot Village, and then to Bournemouth School for Girls. Loved the former, didn't think much of the latter!  ;D

Linda
Francis, Sopp, and Durrant: all in Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire.
Durrant: Toronto, Canada; Los Angeles, California, USA.
Poynter, Fidler. Rolfe, Hedges and Scorey: all in Hampshire.
Allen: Dorset/Somerset/Wiltshire, and Longford, Derbyshire.
Miles: Bournemouth.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 February 10 18:26 GMT (UK) »
A friend of mine won a bursary to Talbot Heath School for girls.  Another friend, whom I did not meet until we were both 16 went from our school, which I had left 2-3yrs previously and went to a village school then germany.  She had gone to Bournemouth school for girls, her name was Rita Stein or Steiner.  She felt the same which is why she left at 16.

Marcie.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 February 10 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Begins to sound as though there might have been something wrong with the school at that time. By the way, I left school at 16, couldn't get out quick enough!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LindaJ1959

• RootsChat Member
  • Florence, my Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 February 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't the best school, Roger, if you think that considering the best interests of the pupils important! We weren't allowed to learn to type, because we were too good to be secretaries - apparently! And we're talking the 70's here, not the 50's! I stayed for the sixth form, but more from lack of a better idea than anything else.

Which school did you go to, Marcie? And Roger, did you go to school in Bournemouth too?

Trish, sorry, kind of looks like we're hijacking your thread!  :-[

Linda

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 February 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I had just turned 15 when I left.  No 'O' levels or CSE's but that is another story.
Hadow Road now has a really bad name for itself, at the time I attended it paled in comparison to the school  I had left behind in Germany.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 February 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Linda, No I was brought up in Boston, and went to 2 schools there St. Thomas CofE Primary, 1945-1950, and Boston Grammar School 1950-1956. There were problems at primary school due to lack of staff, 3 teachers including the head (over 65) for 240 approx pupils, due to the war. The Grammar School had pretensions to be a public school, and I believe had taken boarders and paying pupils, we 11+ pupils were made to feel we didn't really belong.

Offline LindaJ1959

• RootsChat Member
  • Florence, my Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 04 February 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I think that was quite common with grammar schools at the time, Roger - my mother's was similar.

Marcie, I know the school you mean, but I don't think I knew anyone who went there. Kinson generally seems to have a bit of a reputation now, but I don't know if it's deserved (I left Bournemouth in 1988).

Linda