Author Topic: Ripon Road Bournemouth?  (Read 14742 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ripon Road Bournemouth?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 05 February 10 17:19 GMT (UK) »
The reason they did this in Germany, was because they stayed on until they were 18, as there were no colleges;  and if you wanted to attend college you were sent home to the country you belonged to, mainly Britain.  But we had Canadians, Americans and the like there as well.  I was in D1, my friend Jane was in F1 with Elizabeth, she was suspended, then eventually expelled and in the forces it would mean that her father would be hauled up in front of his commanding officer and reprimanded as well.  She was 1 of 8 kids, very poor and she would steel things.  But never from me, not after the first time in Juniors anyway.  She would also get into fights. The Head boy was Canadian and wanted to go into the RAF with stripes on his sleeve so he stayed on to do his AS Level which at the time I had never heard of.  He was studying electronics  To an eleven yr old, he was dreamy.....
It is a different sort of life.
marjorie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 05 February 10 17:20 GMT (UK) »
You mean they had the legs and could run.!

marjorie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 05 February 10 17:27 GMT (UK) »
By age 16 they knew how to cross a road. Never did have a sense of humour, it probably comes from my Anglo Saxon Ancestors!
 The sins of the father being visited on the daughter then? we had a similar thing with travel facilities on the railway. If a spouse or child of the employee was caught misusing travel facilities then the employee was liable to dismissal. Rigidly enforced, it saved management redundancy and pension payments if they could sack a few, but manifestly unfair in my opinion. What influence has a parent got over a child who is at university but still enjoying travel facilities until they leave? In most cases not a lot.
Back to the topic, I think the idea of Kelly's directory is a good one, and when I next go to the archive will have a look.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 05 February 10 17:35 GMT (UK) »
It just shows the differences between people with their views on education and life in general. Some parents badger their kids into things, some support their children to become and do their best, others have the view that its not worth it, because what will be, will be.
Children in the forces travelled a lot around the world, making new friends only to have to say goodbye and start again somewhere else.  You promise to keep in touch, but it is difficult.  You learn a lot of languages, briefly.  Always the one for the country in which you are staying at the time, in case you need help. It gives you a broader view on life in some respects, and a narrower view in other ways.  Most of my school friends were of mixed race and culture.
Marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 05 February 10 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Havent heard from Trisha for a while?!! :-\

Perhaps she thinks that we have forgotten about her.  Bmth used to have a really good Research Library.

If not Kellys, do you know of another.  Do we have his trade for example.  Maybe we should ask her.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 05 February 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
When I do it, it will mostly likely be at Dorchester County Record Office. Knowing the trade would be useful though.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline g0bby-1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 07 February 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
 Trish not been on for a while ? Probably got fed up with you 2 hijacking her thread............... ::)

Moderator comment: let's just wait patiently for Trish, shall we?  Perhaps she has had other things going on which have prevented her presence here.  Let's let her answer in her own time.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 07 February 10 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gobby,

Welcome to our discussion on Ripon Road Bournemouth.

marcie

Moderator comment: edited.
 searl rogers sutherland