Author Topic: Ripon Road Bournemouth?  (Read 14772 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ripon Road Bournemouth?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The whole picture is at the top of the page, with the 'maid' standing in the front garden.  The name of the house is behind the fir tree.  I have tried several methods trying to work out the name.
Many thanks Trish
Trish, thats a Monkey Puzzle tree,  not many grown because they grow to more than 100 ft high.  Someone would know this house. If it is still there(the tree) you could not miss it after all this time.  Its girth would be to the window and its height would be above the house by now.  Redroger is probably right about the Bmth Echo, somewhere in their archives they would have this information.
But I think wrong about the splitting of the houses.  Wallisdown road being one place which did have houses split into flats when my nan moved down from scotland to bournemouth.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Trish,   what date are we looking at for the photos ? My dad grew up in Pine Road, so, if you can let me know a rough date, he might be able to help.
cheers,Dale.
Dale I would say that they date from late 1920 / 1930s.  A lot of houses were built on the land along columbia road which look exactly like this.  We used to go to a fairground which always came to the farmers field along there.  It is now where they have a school and a housing estate, which for a while had a bad name for itself.  further up the road or just off of it is Glenmoor School for girls. And it backs onto Talbot Woods, from memory.  Long time since I have been around there. Kingsbere Ave.
Isnt Ripon rd off the main drag passed the police station and library <Redroger)? Dale.
Marcie.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I found one thats Pine Road Winton Bournemouth but the other is a bit harder to work out.  The funny thing is I think I know the house but cannot remember for the life of me where and when!

Thanks anyway regards Trish
And is pine road where the laundry place was?
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline LindaJ1959

• RootsChat Member
  • Florence, my Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Marcie, I'd say you're right about the dates, and it could well be Talbot Woods/Ensbury Park kind of area. I grew up in Parham Road (off Columbia Trees Lane) and Glenmoor Road (near the school), so I used to know the area pretty well. I suspect that the tree will no longer be there - as you say, it'd be huge by now, and that front garden doesn't look like it could take such a big tree.

Linda

PS - I'm wondering if it could also be Richmond Park area. There were a lot of houses built there at around the same time, I think.
Francis, Sopp, and Durrant: all in Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire.
Durrant: Toronto, Canada; Los Angeles, California, USA.
Poynter, Fidler. Rolfe, Hedges and Scorey: all in Hampshire.
Allen: Dorset/Somerset/Wiltshire, and Longford, Derbyshire.
Miles: Bournemouth.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Marcie, I did say unlikely to have been split into flats at that time. However since I'm not far away, I'll have a look around. Don't expect to find the monkey puzzle tree though, but I have seen a few around here.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline g0bby-1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Marcie,

if I remember rightly, as a kid, you are right. The laundry used to be on the left just before you went down the hill.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 January 10 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I have remembered,  it is Castle Laundry in Castle Road which is the next road to where you would have to go to take your driving test.  Then there was a row of shops and the unemployment /job shop followed by the Police Station, almost opposite Winton Library as you say just before St. Peters Hill.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 January 10 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Marcie, I did say unlikely to have been split into flats at that time. However since I'm not far away, I'll have a look around. Don't expect to find the monkey puzzle tree though, but I have seen a few around here.
Redroger, please don't take offence.  I did not mean anything by it.  My Grgran lived in Wallisdown Road on the left either 259 or 289 passed where the posh garage used to be and Greens on the other side of the road and my Nan was in a house which was split into two opposite her. ::) I might tell you about her oneday.

Marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 January 10 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Just thought, another way you can find out some things is either through the council archives, or an Old Kellys Directory.  You can sometimes find them on line in historic archives.  That would give you the owners/landlords name and also the tenant.

marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland