Author Topic: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants  (Read 13509 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 December 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't necessarily conclude that the phrase "late of Rhyl" implies that he died there(though it might),it may mean that he lived there until recently.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 December 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
In case you haven't found the records,there is a burial record for Martha Williams,Bridge End,Cynwyd,
July 1879-the parish is given as Llangar cum Cynwyd and it appears in one well known database under Llandrillo,Merionethshire.
There is a further record there for January 1880 for William Williams aged 70,but the abode is only given as Cynwyd.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 December 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
A little speculation:-
It looks like John Evan and Martha name their first son William Thomas.With William being Martha's father's name,it is not unreasonable to speculate that Thomas is John Evan's father's name.
There is a Thomas and Margaret Jones (born 1823) at Cwm Uchsf,Llandrillo in the 1871 census(ref. RG11/5538/63/13).
It may be necessary to purchase the 1879 marriage certificate to find out who was the father of John Evan.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 December 17 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Burial of Thomas Jones of Cwm Ucha Llandrillo,April 1884 aged 61.Probate granted to Robert Jones,son.

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 December 17 03:33 GMT (UK) »
In case you haven't found the records,there is a burial record for Martha Williams,Bridge End,Cynwyd,
July 1879-the parish is given as Llangar cum Cynwyd and it appears in one well known database under Llandrillo,Merionethshire.
There is a further record there for January 1880 for William Williams aged 70,but the abode is only given as Cynwyd.

Regards
Roger

I was able to find that record for William, but so far the only record I found that might be Martha is July 1878- unfortunately its under death registration so it has little information. Where/what database can I find the burial records. Do you think the burial was registered later and its the same person? I think you are likely correct of that information as he had a fondness for Cynwyd it really wouldn't surprise me to see them move back. Also with regards to his father being Thomas- we suspected it might be- but with nothing to go on it was hard. My great grandfather- who married Margaret Dowell was born William Thomas Jones(his moms dad was William, dads dad Thomas- but ended up changing Thomas to Roberts his mothers maiden name- we just thought it funny if he hadn't changed it he would have shared the same name as his wife's brother!). My family visited the vicarage of Cynwyd in the 1970s the vicar found the name but when johns name was found- it was off by a year- apparently the child's father was a horse thief George Barrow wrote about in Wild Wild Wales- but the vicar disregarded giving them his information which My family believed to spare embarrassment...unfortunately I never found the horse thiefs name to be able to know...

I will try to get a hold of their marriage cert to see. You have been able to find more information in a day than we had in years. The mystery of this part of the family has been bugging us- from seeing photos in 1921 of a woman called auntie Catherine in Llandrillo to some mystery cousins Hattie and Susie- we figured john had to have had siblings(at least Catherine unless it was a name they used forb endearment). At least with Martha we knew.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 December 17 04:08 GMT (UK) »
I use FindMyPast.The date for Martha could be 1878 or 9 from memory.It's early morning here,I'll resume tomorrow.

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 December 17 04:32 GMT (UK) »
A little speculation:-
It looks like John Evan and Martha name their first son William Thomas.With William being Martha's father's name,it is not unreasonable to speculate that Thomas is John Evan's father's name.
There is a Thomas and Margaret Jones (born 1823) at Cwm Uchsf,Llandrillo in the 1871 census(ref. RG11/5538/63/13).
It may be necessary to purchase the 1879 marriage certificate to find out who was the father of John Evan.

Regards
Roger

I found the 1881 census with that reference info but 1871 I saw the reference of RG10 5681 and a different family name at Cwm Uchaf- am I looking in the wrong place?

I saw what I suspect might be the family(with john and possibly a wing birth year) RG10 5681 26 9, for 1871 at Pentre, and another HO107 2509 226 5 in 1851at Cwm Uchaf...

I saw your post that its early morning- thank you again.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 December 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
You have found the same records as me:-
1851  HO107/2509/226/5    Cwm Ucha
1861 Not found.Some 1861 pieces are missing,But I didn't think this area was involved.
1871  RG10/5681/26/9         Pentre,Garthiaen  original gives correct birthplaces for Thomas/Margaret
1881  RG11/5538/63/13

While the 1871 seems anomalous,in 1881 at Pentre Bach,next to Garrthiaen is the family of Hugh and Catherine Jones.This Catherine looks like the sister of John(and Robert) with a possible marriage in 1873.The couple are still there in 1911.Presumably she is a candidate for Auntie Catherine of Landrillo,1921.

I have George Borrow's "Wild Wales",but I can't guarantee finding the name of the horse thief!

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 December 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I assume you have the marriages of the two daughters of John Evan and Martha,Susie and Catherine(Katie)
(Hattie is not a misread of Katie elsewhere is it?)

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3630482/3630486/41/

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4246823/4246831/37/

Regards
Roger