Author Topic: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants  (Read 13508 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones's of Newmarket + descendants
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 23:26 GMT (UK) »
There is an Edith J Jones,given born 1880,daughter of William and Ellin(possibly Ellen),at Tanyfynwent,Newmarket in the 1891 census.I think William dies in 1910,and as Edith is not at that address in the 1901 or 1911 censuses,presumably she was writing "home".
Obviously I cannot speculate on any connection without any further details.

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
There is an Edith J Jones,given born 1880,daughter of William and Ellin(possibly Ellen),at Tanyfynwent,Newmarket in the 1891 census.I think William dies in 1910,and as Edith is not at that address in the 1901 or 1911 censuses,presumably she was writing "home".
Obviously I cannot speculate on any connection without any further details.

Regards
Roger

1910 was an estimate- only because I cannot read the stamp on the postcard. The post card was to my great grandmother who was staying with friends in Cheshire. The group of postcards I have of hers are from a 1907-1912 grouping- so it was a ball park area. The card from Edith reads,  "Write soon, Home at last for a holiday and enjoying myself hoping you to be the same love from Edith". I am going to try scan to upload. I do also have a photo of Edith Jones. Of course i dont think it helps us!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Are you willing to reveal any details of your great grandmother that might help find any connection?

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I think I can find Edith in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses.I n 1901 she is with her married sister,Sarah Nuttall in Everton.In 1911 shee is in domestic service in Rhyl.

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 December 17 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Are you willing to reveal any details of your great grandmother that might help find any connection?

Regards
Roger

Of course. Her name was Margaret Dowell Jones. Her parents were John Evans Jones (b~1854 Cynwyd/Llandrillo d 11 June 1922 Bala) and Martha Williams (b. 13 Jan 1850 Cheshire - d 20 May 1916 Bala). The story is a bit strange- John and Martha along with their new baby William emigrated to America in 1882. My great grandmother Margaret was born in Venedocia Ohio 10 feb 1883. They moved to Missouri and had twin girls but one died the surviving one was Susannah Mary (Susie), then they moved to Iowa and had a boy Albert David and a girl Catherine Ann (Katie Ann). Around 1897- Martha was having asthma problems and John told her to choose- California or back to Wales...so they went back to wales. They moved to Rhyl and lived at "Cynwyd House" Brighton Rd. Martha ran it as a boarding location for summer visitors and John opened a shoe shop. Their son Albert David was a grocer. Eventually my grandmother moved back to America along with her older brother William- the rest of the family stayed. I suspect Edith may be a cousin to my great grandmother- we have little information on John Evans Jones besides him being a shoemaker and where he was born. We don't know his parents names or if he had siblings and therefore kids- we also do not know why he chose to go to Rhyl...but then again who knows.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 December 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Can't immediately see a connection.Perhaps they were just friends,Edith born 1879,Maggie 1883,who became acquainted because of proximity-Edith at Preswylfa,Russell Road,Maggie at Cynwyd,Brighton Road,only a few hundred yards apart-or maybe Edith was in service to the family at some stage.
Will carry on looking for a family relationship.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 December 17 19:51 GMT (UK) »
The postmark looks like it was "Rhuddlan" with a date beginning with a zero.The second number seems to have a curved bottom 3,5,6 or 8? It doesn't help the relationship or otherwise issue,but it looks like Edith remained a spinster till she died is 1943(probate granted to er brother Edward,a grocer-like Albert David?).
What a striking photograph!

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 December 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
This marriage snippet says the father of Martha Williams was"late of Rhyl"-perhaps this is why John Evan Jones went there.I'll see if I can find anything more about John Evan from the address given.

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3851279/3851281/4/

Regards
Roger

Offline CMooreddrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 December 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
This marriage snippet says the father of Martha Williams was"late of Rhyl"-perhaps this is why John Evan Jones went there.I'll see if I can find anything more about John Evan from the address given.

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3851279/3851281/4/

Regards
Roger

Wow! Ive tried searching the Wales newspapers and I had been having a neck of a time. Its fantastic you found this! I was able to locate them on an 1871 census in Rhyl thanks to that info. They lived at 4 Vale Road in that census- I had only known them to have lived in Chester! Now the fact they went to Rhyl seems more apparent - and I can at least estimate his death as per the announcement. We didn't really have much more information on her parents so this is exciting.