Author Topic: Alexanders  (Read 5540 times)

Offline Ross996

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexanders
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 March 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Clarabell,
I think that i need a bit more info. Can you tell me more about Hugh, Samuel,s Father. Who was Samuel,s mother? When was Samuel born? I don't have any Samuel Alexander, but that does not mean that he's not one of ours.
Ross
Alexanders from Coylton, Tarbolton,Annbank. Ayrshire
Simpsons from Ayr.
Ross Ayrshire
Ryders from Derbyshire.
McWilliam from Wigtonshire and Lancashire

Offline clarabell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
He was born after 1901 so wouldn't show on any censuses.  He is 94 now.  His father Hugh would have been born just before the turn of the century.  I can't remember the name of my grandfather's mother I only know her surname was Hopkins.  Anyway I know the house in Burns Street and have been in it (when it was no longer occupied by the Alexanders) so I'm pretty sure they are relatives.  I just don't know how.
Alexander, McLachlan and Poole all in Ayrshire

Offline Ross996

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 March 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Clarabell,
Samuel's mother was Agnes Hopkins,Born 1889 in Renfrew. Hugh was born in 1883 in Tarbolton. They married in 1906 in Renfrew.
Samuel is from the Hopkins side, as it was Agnes's fathers name. Her mother was Marion Hopkins. I don't have alot on the Hopkins' but I can trace the Alexanders back to Samuel's Great Grandfather, Hugh Alexander. This Hugh Alexander was my 3 time great grandfather.
Ross

Simpsons from Ayr.
Ross Ayrshire
Ryders from Derbyshire.

Offline clarabell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 March 12 05:46 GMT (UK) »
I had a look in the past on ancestry.co.uk but I couldn't find the right information.  Grampa was adamant that the family was in Tarbolton for generations before him.  I think Agnes Hopkins's father was Irish as far as I remember from my searches in the past.

I know Grampa talked about relatives in Annbank and Prestwick too - those in Prestwick lived in the Bell Rock cottage.

Thanks for replying!  I love findin out all this type of information, I just wish I had time to do it properly.

Alexander, McLachlan and Poole all in Ayrshire

Offline Ross996

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 March 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Clarabell,
PM sent.
Ross
Simpsons from Ayr.
Ross Ayrshire
Ryders from Derbyshire.

Offline danielok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 February 20 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I am the great great nephew of Samuel he was born on the 14th October 1917 and he died on the 5th January 2014 at the age of 96. His mother was Agnes Hotkins who was born in 1889 and died in 1949. Hugh, his father was born in 1884 and died in 1958. Also I have got Samuels paternal great great grandfather, John Alexander he was born in 1770. Death is unknown. Samuel had lots of siblings some of them I know, Agnes Alexander, William Alexander (who became my great grandfather) John Alexander David "Davy" Alexander and Hugh Alexander and Allan H Alexander.
Alexander, Cluderay, Whiteside, Smillie, White

Offline Ross996

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
danielok,
Thanks for replying. Don't know if you have Marion Ballantyne Hopkins Alexander and Margaret, Both Samuel's sisters.
Can you tell me more about John Alexander, b 1770. As I don't have any Alexander's going further back than Samuels G.G grandfather Hugh in 1815ish
Regards
Ross
Simpsons from Ayr.
Ross Ayrshire
Ryders from Derbyshire.

Offline danielok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Marion Ballantyne, Sams maternal grandmothers great grandparents were James Ballantyne 1769-???? and Helen Lauder 1772-????
Alexander, Cluderay, Whiteside, Smillie, White

Offline danieloks2ndaccount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:10 BST (UK) »
This is danielok I lost my account. John Alexander is wrong Hugh Alexander 1814-1890 dad was also Hugh Alexander and the dates for Samuels parents are slighty off, Hugh Alexander was born 5 July 1883 and died 26 January 1958, 74 and Agnes Hopkins was born 25 April 1889 and died 16 December 1949, 60. They married 31 December 1906 but people think it was 1907 because it was signed then.
It appears the name Hugh was past down generations, since Hugh Alexander 1779-? to his son Hugh 1814-1890 to his son Hugh 1857-1920 to his son Hugh 1883-1958 to his son Hugh 1907-? to his nephew hugh (via william alexander his brother) 1945-