Author Topic: Birth Record  (Read 7903 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 June 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hamilton shows as 19 yrs old in the 1901 census, so born c. 1882 you would think.

There is only one marriage showing between a William Edgar and an Elizabeth in Scotland between 1878-84, shows in Glasgow from general searches (marriage shows in 1881 if you narrow down the search fields).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 June 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
See what I mean about confused!

See my replies #6 onwards. That is the marriage between a William and Elizabeth (Miller) in 1881. Not sure how accurate the 1901 census birth places were. From what we already had, William John was born in Ireland and Hamilton son in Glasgow late 1881.

Monica

Offline Bo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 June 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
Monica thank you so much for the quick response - I am shocked that you have sourced the census details  :o :o I have hunted this family high and low !!  I haven't had time to work out the address yet but I'm sure it is the right family.  I also believe the Scottish Edgars are extended family too - Hamilton Edgar is quite an 'unusual' name.

Also, the person born in Scotland isn't my grandfather (he's William) but his brother.  I need to get my details gathered and if you don't mind I will pm them to you tomorrow.  I think there's a bit of a story and it's too convuluted to put online just now.  Bear with me please and I will get back to you asap.  You have been a great help and I really appreciate it  :)

Offline Bo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 June 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
Monica, before I go for the night I just want to say that I cannot access the census record you sent me.  I can access your link, but if I do the search myself nothing comes up for this family. confused again  ???

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 09:16 BST (UK) »
You might want to send in a correction on the transcription for the family's 1901 census entry!

You can use ther wildcard '*' (like SP) to pick  up on spelling variations. In this case, I searched the 1901 for a Ham* Edg* - he is transcribed as Hamellen Edger  ::)

Monica

Offline Bo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

I'm just checking that you got my pm yesterday with details attached as promised.  After all your assistance I don't want to appear ungrateful.  If you haven't please let me know and I will forward it again.

I've been slowly working my way through all the information - my head's pickled but it all seems to make sense now  ???

Sancti I can also see now how the 1901 census details fit so thankyou again.  I will keep in touch  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Bo

Got one PM but thought more to follow  :)

Monica

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar Family.
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 November 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I made a posting sometime back under another heading and the links given to me then have throw up these posting so I do hope it does not upset things for folks. The one thing we all seem to have in common is total confusion. The information I have is all over the place at the moment as varying postings throw up potential connections but either with additional different names or locations.The fact that Edgar is a common name in Co Down was something I was not aware of until now.
My Great Grandmother (Margaret Edgar married Michael King in 1886 at Bessbrook Presbyterian church. Her age is given as 23 which indicates she was born circa1863.
the certificate also shows her father was Hamilton Edgar and the marriage was witnessed by James and Minnie Edgar.  Now I think we have found Minnie a sister born circa 1873 and by all accounts born in around Bessbrook. John Edgar we cannot find.
My Hamilton Edgar was born circa 1839 and his Father was Hugh Edgar and Mother Margaret (Craig) they were living in Dundee so I assume he was born there- he died there in 1899. I do not have any record of William being a first name. I also have him married to an Ann Jane but she seems to have been married before and goes by either Geddes or Rowan. Not sure which is maiden name and which is previous married name. ( Malloy at the moment is not confirmed).
Another wife was Joan Donaldson (nee Campbell). married in 1895. Does this help anyone and can any  further light be throw on the subject?

Regards

MK

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 November 17 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there MK

Trying to get my head round all  your new names. The name Hamilton Edgar certainly seems popular!

John Edgar we cannot find.

Maybe this entry here (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5KP-D99

Monica  :)