Author Topic: O'Hara St Quivox area Ayr  (Read 7576 times)

Offline liznel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
O'Hara St Quivox area Ayr
« on: Tuesday 05 January 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking for info on John Ohara who married Mary Kelly.
Who were is parents?
Where did he come from?

They had 3 children John 1832, Sarah 1834 and Mary 1837. John remarried in 1839 to Christian McMillan children Christina,Alexander, Margaret, Peter, Dougall and Daniel.

John O'Hara was born about 1809-1812  ? Ayr or Ireland.
1841 Old Foundry St Quivox  coal miner.
1852 Newton on Ayr Prestwick road Pauper coal miner.

I have came across a JohnO'Hara and a Sarah McNaughton ??if they are his parents.Children to John and Sarah were Daniel, Hugh John and Charles all born in Ayr.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Liz
Findlay, riccarton kilmarnock.
Nelson,  Ireland and Ayrshire
Mc kellar, Argyll Fenwick and Kirkoswald
Gilmour, Kirkoswald.
Telfer, Dumfries Kircudbright
Blair, Ireland Ayrshire.
O'Hara, Ireland and St-Quivox.
Blane, Ayrshire st-quivox Kilwinning.
Gibb, Auchinleck

Offline starryskies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Consilio non impetu
    • View Profile
Re: O'Hara St Quivox area Ayr
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 10 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I found a John O'Hara listed in the 1851 census in Newton on Ayr.  He is listed as staying in what I think says Hathfield House (but that could just be my poor deciphering of the writing).  He is listed as the head of the house, married, 24 years old, a labourer and born in Ireland.  Below him and listed as his brother at the same accommodation is a Francy Fitzsimmons, his brother, unmarried, 22 years old, an engineer and born in Ayr, Newton.

The strange thing is that (other than his brother having a different surname) the entry below is for a Fitzsimmons family as follows, note the grandchild's name:-

Thomas Fitzsimmons    Head    Mar    53yrs   Coal Shipper         born Ireland
Helen         "       "        Wife      Mar    44yrs                                     "    "
Mary           "       "         Dau      U       17yrs   Woolen factory     born Ayr  S  Newton
Helen         "       "          Dau     U        15yrs       "      "                    "     "
Daniel        "       "          Son      U        12yrs      "      "                     "     "
Robert       "        "         Son      U         9yrs        "     "                     "     "
Helen O'Hara                 Granddau   U   1 yr                                     "     "

I'm afraid that the only other John O'Haras that turned up in Ayrshire that were older was one in Maybole that was a hand loom weaver.
Agnew, McCloy, Foster, Geates, Hair, Downie, Leslie, Morris
Ayrshire, Fife, Wigtownshire.

Offline scully

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Do you know when Christina was born, as  i have the Newton Green burial grounds book. it has a Christina O Hara died 29/7/1923 aged 84 and she was married to James Brown. Also there is a Dugald O,Hara died 4/5/1905 aged 55, married to Margaret McAlister. if this is your family and you don,t have the Inscription i can send it to you as it has other  details about some of thier children.

Scully

Offline liznel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 10 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scully
Christina Ohara who married James Brown was the daughter of Christina Mc Millan and John O Hara. I would be very interested on any insciptions that you have found.

James Brown b 1862(son of James and Christine Brown )  became labour MP in Ayr!!

Gilmour, Kirkoswald.
Blair, Ireland Ayrshire.
Gibb, Auchinleck

Offline scully

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
This is how its written & spelt.

erected by CHRISTINA O,HARA in memory of her beloved husband  JAMES BROWN d,at Drumndow Stair 14 Jan 1895 aged 56; also their sons JAMES d, aged 10 mth; PETER aged 2; ROBERT d, aged 6mth; ROBERT d,aged 2; DUGALD
d, aed 2; WILLIAM d, aged 11; also the above CHRISTINA O,HARA d, 29,july 1923 aged 84.
..........................................................................................................................
Erected by  MARGARET MCALLISTER in memory of her Husband DUGALD O,HARA d,at Annnbank 4 May 1905 aged55; al
so her dau ELIZABETH d, 23 Aug 1895 aged 15; also her gson TOM O,HARA d, 7 Oct 1915 aged 11; also her son JOHN O,HARA d, 6 Oct 1921 aged 47; the above MARGARET McALISTER d, 26 Sep 1923 aged 70.
..........................................................................................................................
Its a shame Christina lost so many children at a young age.
I have a few MI books covering Ayr if you woulld like any other names checked.

Scully

Offline liznel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 February 10 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Scully.

Great info.

can you have a look and see if there are any ohara's in any of the other books you have.

Best wishes

Liz
Gilmour, Kirkoswald.
Blair, Ireland Ayrshire.
Gibb, Auchinleck

Offline scully

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 February 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
There is a few more O,Hara,s

Newton Green Burial Ground
Erected in memory of JOHN VANCE d, at Annbank 27 Sep 1870 aged 61; also his dau MARY ANN VANCE or McCULLOCH d, 29 Oct 1867 aged 31; also his son JAMES d, 22 April 1885 aged 54; also his gson JOHN son of JOHN VANCE d, 15 April 1889 in his 21st yr; also his wife AGNES VANCE or O,HARA d, 21 June 1889 aged 76; also his gson DAVID son of JAMES VANCE d, 13 mar 1890 aged 19; also his son PETER...
.........................................................................................................................
     MI,s for St MArgaret,s R C Church,  John St, Ayr
Erected by ANN FITZIMMMONSin memory of her beloved husband JOHN O,HARA,
Merchant Ayr d, at Ayr 16 Dec 1900 aged 78. Also in memory of their dau HELEN d, Oct 1846 aged 3y 9m, Also the above ANN FITZIMMONS who d, 8 Dec 1909 aged 85,  JOHN FITZIMMONS d, 19 June 1916 aged 10,  THOMAS FITZIMMONS d, 16 July 1920 aged 49, Also his wife MARY McM FITZIMMONS d, 11 June 1956 aged 81
                                       ................................................

Sacred to the memory of JOHN O,HARA Merchant Ayr who d, 28 April 1838 aged 50 years  The rest of the stone was sunk.
.............................................................................................................................
                         St Qivox Churchyard
In memory of DAVID McALPINE beloved husband of  MARTHA O,HARA d, 26 May 1969 aged 68; also the above MATHA O,HARA d, 26 July 1974 aged77.
...........................................................................................................................
        MI,s for Old Alloway Kirk
Sacred to the memory of PATRICK O,HARA Merchant Maybole d, 17 Jan 1828 aged 48
............................................................................................................................

Thats all i could find.

Regards
Scully

Offline liznel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 February 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Scully

Much appreciated
Gilmour, Kirkoswald.
Blair, Ireland Ayrshire.
Gibb, Auchinleck

Offline sim1one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 July 10 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I only decided to look into my family history tonight and stumbled on your post.

My Grandfather was Peter O'hara from Annbank and he died only two and a half years ago in his eighties. His dad I'm sure was a John O'hara and my mums middle name is Kelly.

I just wondered if you might be tracing the same family.

Kind regards
s