Author Topic: Thurso - Falconer  (Read 7979 times)

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thurso - Falconer
« on: Thursday 07 January 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Falconer, Alexander m. Catherine Smith 1816 in Forres, Elgin. 

1841 Census has them age 48 at an address which is Cowgate.  3 kids  Alexander -14, William -12 and Ann -6.  With help I now see that there was also Mary -8. 

Alexander's occupation is listed as "musik teacher" which I have since learned can mean precentor.

Questions:  What churches were there in Cowgate in 1841?   

At least Anne immigrated to Canada.  Would Thurso have been where they would have boarded the ship?    Thanks,  Anne

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Thurso - Falconer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 10 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne and welcome to RootsChat

According to this site

www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=8461

Cowgate is now called Riverside Place which you can find on google maps

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 10 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

Your Ann is 6 in 1841. There's a big gap between her and William listed before her age 12.
Which indicates at least 1  child may have been born and died in between (Mary b 1832, maybe - see below)

The IGI has an extracted 2 entries entry for Ann FALCONER  to Alexander FALCONER & Catherine SMITH - one b  26 Sep 1834 and another chr 10 Sep 1834, both Thurso Caithness  - I would say one of the dates is inorrectly transcribed by LDS, and this is the same girl in both records - however it's possible there was a child named Ann who died (and was christened just before she did so) just before another girl was born to the same parents and they named the new baby after the deceased one (which was a common practice).

IGI also has the following extracted records to parents of the same names:
William FALCONER b 4 May 1822 and chr 30 May 1822, Killearnan, Ross And Cromarty
Alexander FALCONER b 10 Apr 1826 and chr 5 May 1826, Rosemarkie, Ross And Cromarty
Mary FALCONER b 27 Apr 1832 and chr 7 May 1832, Thurso, Caithness

Right names of the two boys - and right age for Alexander. I think it is the right family for you on the IGI    Also William and Alexander are the wrong wayround on 1841  - IF -  they are the same two as on the IGI? Or perhaps William b 1822 died and another was born after Alexander. William born 1822 would be around 18 or 19 in 1841 and technically should be enumerated as 15 (rounding) in 1841.

Here is the family in 1851 - when did yours go to Canada - or at least, when can you first place them there?

1851: Cowgate Lane, Thurso Caithness
Head: Alexander FALCONER 57, Teacher of Church ?Music?, b Edinkillie, Moray
Wife: Cathrine FALCONER 55, b Fouress, Moray
Son: Alexander FALCONER 25, Stone Cutter, b Markie Ross

Cheers
AMBLY

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
1861: Cowgate, Thurso, Caithness
Head: Alexander FALCONER 67, Stone Dresser, b Edinkilly, Elgin
Wife: Catherine FALCONER 65, b Forres, Elgin

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 January 10 01:11 GMT (UK) »

Ambly,   Thanks for digging up all that info. I'm very new at this and am not sure what IGI is.

Certainly sounds like this is the family. I have encountered the practice of naming the next child after one who died with my other family search in Perthshire. That plus the rounding off and illegible writing sure complicates things.

I must get back to my files to see if it says the whole family came to Canada or just Ann and her husband William Paton Rodger.

Thank-you so much Ambly

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 10 01:13 GMT (UK) »

Linda,  Thanks for clarifying about the change of name for Cowgate. So from what I could see of the map its not far from the River in Thurso.

Anne

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 10 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

here is the link to the IGI
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

You can find Alxander Snr's possible birth record there, 1793, parents : William FALCONER and Janet ANGUS.

Also a link to their Search Labs site:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#

A link to Scotlands People
Free to register & Search, pay to view & download certificates etc
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Looks to me like Catherine died in Scotland - by manipulating an index search of the Statutory Deaths index:
There is a death registered in Thurso, Caithness in 1867.
Catherine FALCONER other surname SMITH, age 72

I cannot see any entry in Thurso for Alexander between 1861 & 1881.
There is 1 in Caithness in 1869 but the age is indexed as being somewhere between age of 1 and 40.
Perhaps Alexander, in his old age & widowhood, went with to join Ann, in Canada.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline dononshytalk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi I found this topic whilst googling for stonecutters in Thurso in the 1800s.  My great great grandfather (Donald Mackay) was a stonecutter round the corner in Wilson street in the 1861 Census with a thriving family with seven off-spring. The next census has him gone and the family had moved round the corner into Cowgate Lane.  When I say family - his wife Elizabeth (ne Tait) was there as was his second son Donald Mackay (my christian names) who had followed in his footsteps - but he had died in 1865 - can't make out the reason for death but by that time he was listed as a labourer/pauper. The family had scattered - son John, daughters Margaret & Mary and Esther - all gone. I found Esther down in Glasgow as a Domestic in 1871 and she married my great grandfather in 1874. Trouble is she married a guy called Thomson - tracing some one called mackay in Caithness (Mackay countryon the clan map) and Thomson in Glasgow is almost impossible.
What I am interested in is what sort of life they had in Cowgate Lane and Wilson street - because an awful lot of them were stonecutting there.