Author Topic: Hiding living people on Ancestry Family Tree  (Read 10050 times)

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
Hiding living people on Ancestry Family Tree
« on: Thursday 07 January 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I have just uploaded a family a family tree to Ancestry (Gedcom files), but it shows a lot of people who are still living - chiefly because haven't put Birth / death details for them into my tree. I can't seem to find a way of showing that these people are living & therefore exclusing them from my tree. Is there any way of doing this. I know the obvious way would be to add the missing details, but I don't want to do that. In the meantime, I've deleted the tree from Ancestry, which is a shame, so I'll have to start again.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Hiding living people on Ancestry Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brain
Its a shame you deleted your tree as there must be a way.  You should have given their Customer services a quick e mail and asked them they are quite nice people.
I am also on Ancestry and didnt realise the ones living were shown as on GR there is a click button you can put on your tree and that doesnt show the living relatives. I havent put all my living ones on this site so maybe it was a good call by myself.
Hope you resolve your problem
regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 January 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Braindead

Have a look in the Ancestry Help here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07t1/   

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 10 08:47 GMT (UK) »
If I recall correctly, Ancestry assumes that anyone born less than 100 years ago with no death date recorded could still be alive, and will be treated as such.  What you could do is try the BEF (before) prefix - so if someone was born in 1918, and you know they are no longer alive, you could put BEF 2009 as their death date.  That may work, if you want them to appear on your tree.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 January 10 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brain
Its a shame you deleted your tree as there must be a way.  You should have given their Customer services a quick e mail and asked them they are quite nice people.

I was just playing around on their site as I've got a copy of Family Tree Maker on the way & I wanted to see what the tree thing's all about. It was onyl a gedcom file so if the issue is resolved, it will be easy enough to re-upload. I have emailed their customer services so I'm awaiting a response.
In the meantime, I thought better safe than sorry, especially as I couldn't work a handy way of sorting things out.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll try them out over the weekend.

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 January 10 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Just in case I can persuade you to add dates to your living, I use Legacy to make gedcoms to make other, public trees and it is possible to exclude the living in various ways. Have a look at your FTM to see if is similar. My picture shows what you can do with a good Family Tree Programme:
I use the option to show living people, all called "Living". Good job we don't have any Stones in our ancestors  ;D
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 10 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Reading this thread again, it appears that we are at cross-purposes here.  If Ancestry "thinks" that your ancestors are still alive (using the DOB less than 100 years and no death date rule), then they should be shown as "Living" to any casual viewer, with no details being shown.  However, they will still be shown to you (as the owner of the tree) and to any people specifically invited by you, if you have ticked the "Can see living people" box.   To test to see if casual viewers can see living people in your tree, you will have to log out of Ancestry.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 10 01:06 GMT (UK) »
From Ancestry

You may be wondering what I mean by “people we believe to be living.” If you’ve provided a birth date but no death date for a specific relative, our system assumes that person is living if he or she was born less than 85 years ago,

you can always redo your tree and make it private, so names can still be searched but no personal info can be seen, or if that doesn't appeal then make it so it cannot be found in searches until you decide what to do ;)

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 January 10 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions, I have emailed and now received a reply from Ancestry about my problems, unfortunately it doesn't really offer a solution.
I have the following issues:
1. A grandfather, aged 102, still alive
2. Some living relations I haven't input dob information for.

Ancestry's rather unhelpful response:
1. Change grandad's dob so it's younger than the cut-off age of 100
2. Input approximate dobs for the lving relations.

Neither of these are what I intend doing, so it leaves me with Ancestry's third option, make the tree private, which to my mind, rather defeats the object of sharing it on Ancestry.
Ideally, what I would like is an option on each individual's profile to privatise them with one click.
Thanks anyway for your help, I guess we'll have to put this one down as unresolved!