Author Topic: Hiding living people on Ancestry Family Tree  (Read 10049 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hiding living people on Ancestry Family Tree
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 January 10 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes putting dates in the wrong format confuses Ancestry's systems.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
If your tree is private, names come up in searches, then other members have the option of contacting you through (private) message connect system, where they can contact you.  If you want to share info, then you can send an invitation for them to view your tree. 

You have options to send invitations to other members, (share your tree) and you can choose whether or not to allow them to view details of living people!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
If your tree is private, names come up in searches, then other members have the option of contacting you through (private) message connect system, where they can contact you.  If you want to share info, then you can send an invitation for them to view your tree. 

You have options to send invitations to other members, (share your tree) and you can choose whether or not to allow them to view details of living people!

Indeed and that is a good option as the tree can't be "stolen" and used by anyone who can then add "their" people, regardless of them being correct!

You then control who has access to the tree!

There are an awful lot of trees out there completely distorted because some people just put names/dates together "because they look right!"

plus, if you have it Private, people can be found (without details), then people have to contact you, so you may learn too. Otherwise someone can just copy everything to their tree without you knowing.... If you have one of my lot then I have to contact you, if you are happy that I am correct then you can choose to share, or not!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 10:30 BST (UK) »
Even although it's private and unsearchable, for personal security, I prefer not to have any living people in my tree at all.

However, for continuity between my own family and that of my husband, I have overtyped  both of us plus all of our parents ( recently deceased) with "Not Available or "Private Person"
I would never add our own siblings, our parents siblings or our own children

The last identifiable family members on my tree are both sets of grandparents.

However, there are still unscrupulous people out there.
I opened my private tree to one person who could not readily identify us, or our parents as the unavailable persons.
On his next GRO visit, this dude located all the info himself and added it to a public tree!
Me my marriage, my husband and our parents were all there, all named with DOBs etc.
Thank goodness he didn't locate out children!
I nearly flipped!
The contact ignored my requests to remove the info from his trees both on Ancestry and another site

I got Ancestry involved and THEY removed it within 24 hours!
I also contacted the other genealogy site who did the same.
I periodically check to ensure we have not been added again

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Even although it's private and unsearchable, for personal security, I prefer not to have any living people in my tree at all.

However, for continuity between my own family and that of my husband, I have overtyped  both of us plus all of our parents ( recently deceased) with "Not Available or "Private Person"
I would never add our own siblings, our parents siblings or our own children

The last identifiable family members on my tree are both sets of grandparents.

However, there are still unscrupulous people out there.
I opened my private tree to one person who could not readily identify us, or our parents as the unavailable persons.
On his next GRO visit, this dude located all the info himself and added it to a public tree!
Me my marriage, my husband and our parents were all there, all named with DOBs etc.
Thank goodness he didn't locate out children!
I nearly flipped!
The contact ignored my requests to remove the info from his trees both on Ancestry and another site

I got Ancestry involved and THEY removed it within 24 hours!
I also contacted the other genealogy site who did the same.
I periodically check to ensure we have not been added again

I just give a few snippets and then see if they offer anything in return... the last person got some bits but offered Zero in return, so just added them to my Blocked list!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.