Author Topic: Corn Mill- Stracathro- Early 1800's  (Read 13551 times)

Offline Noreen19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corn Mill- Stracathro- Early 1800's
« on: Saturday 09 January 10 03:32 GMT (UK) »
I am Interested in finding the Mill of Side, location of my GGGrandfather's birth. His father James Mitchell (married to Mary DUNCAN) was the Corn Miller at Mill of Side in Stracathro in 1811.

I have researched the area history, and cannot find anything on this Mill. Anyone have any ideas? I live in Northern California and cannot visit the area.

Regards,
Noreen
MITCHELL, DAKERS, DUNCAN, BLACK, AIR,
CAMERON, CRAIK, DAVIDSON, DEAR, FRASER,
GRAHAM, HAMPTON, HUNTER, JOHNSTON, McKAY,
McLEOD, McPHERSON, RITCHIE, SMITH, STUART,
STRATHEARN, STURROCK, STEVENSON, WEBSTER

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Corn Mill- Stracathro- Early 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noreen,

A big welcome to Rootschat. Hope you'll enjoy your stay here. We're all very friendly and love to help each other out. ;D

I managed to find Mill of Side on an overlay map at the NLS website. The link is:

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

The best place to start at would be Brechin. Up to Newtonmill and it's into the right before Inchbare. The best thing about this one, is you can switch between the historical map and the modern satellite image.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's still there; however, there is a small building not far from it showing on both maps. May have been property of the mill?

Hope this helps. :)
hume

PS. I've attached the historical map image of Mill of Side. It's part of NLS' collection of OS maps, 1843 - 1882.

Offline Noreen19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hume..I went to the NLS Mapsite..what a great resource. I appreciate your response. I just realized a couple of days ago that the OPR listing of Mill of Side as the birthplace of my GG Grandfather must be the actual work/living site,since my GGG Grandfather was a Corn Miller...can't believe that I did not connect the dots,as they say, sooner. My father was born in Brechin..although most of my MITCHELL line is from Arbroath. The MITCHELLs were in that area from the 1700's until 1913, when my father emigrated to America.

We are fortunate to have visited Brechin,Arbroath, Montrose and surrounding area several times, but we're past the age of international travel so have to be content with the memories and photographs. Thanks to people such as yourself, we continue to fill out our family tree.

Anything I can do for you in the States?

Noreen

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 January 10 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noreen

Welcome to RootsChat

Here's another link from modern-day mapping that might help you

I'f you've any problem accessing it from the link, go to
and do a PLACE search for 'Ballownie'

Regards

Chiad Fhear[/color]
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Noreen19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mill of Side- Stracathro
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 10 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chiad..
Thank you for the welcome..and many thanks for the map site. This is a terrific List..so glad I joined.

Noreen

Offline embla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
HI
don't know if you are still reading this
but I live at Syde in Stracathro
this is the farm house that was built in 1795. I have been doing a good bit of research on the families of stracathro and it seems that I have a good few connections with your people
I have a lot of photos of the area and links as to the ancient history as well as recent if you would like to see all that
here is a photo I took last year in April walking down to the Mill which is at the end of the track where it bobs down to the Cruick Water
 : ( the insert image link isn't working
Eimear

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 12:19 GMT (UK) »
don't know if you are still reading this
but I live at Syde in Stracathro
this is the farm house that was built in 1795. I have been doing a good bit of research on the families of stracathro

Hello Eimear

I also have possible relatives at Syde and would like to exchange notes.

James Wyllie and Agnes Bruce were in Syde from at least 1732 to 1748, because their residence is given as Syde in the baptisms of five of their six children: Andrew 1732, Isobel 1734, Jean 1741, John 1744, and Robert 1748. There was another son, James 1746, but I have not seen his baptism yet. James Wyllie Sr was probably the son of Andrew Wyllie, brother of my 7th great-grandfather David Wyllie in Lethnot. The Wyllies are said to have come to Lethnot after the destruction of the Bonnie Hoose o' Airlie in 1640 by the Earl of Argyll, as commemorated in the famous ballad.

Andrew Wyllie 1732 married Jean Greig, and they resided in Syde according to the baptisms of their children Isabella 1760, Jean 1762, Agnes 1764, John 1766, and David 1748. They must then have moved to Fern, because the next five children Mary 1769, James 1772, Catherine 1774, Andrew 1777 and Anna 1780, were baptised there. Then they resided in Newton, Stracathro where Betty 1782 was born, and then in St Vigeans where the last child, George 1784 , was born.

Later, Andrew Leighton was described as 'Farmer in Syde, Stracathro', but his family were all baptised in Brechin between 1787 and 1798 so I do not know when he was in Syde. He was the son of David Leighton and Anne Skair in Menmuir, and he married in 1786 Janet Fairweather, daughter of Alexander Fairweather and Janet Don, and second Mary Beattie, about whom I know nothing more.

Also born at Syde were Helen 1797 and William 1799, the youngest children of  John Adamson and Ann Fairweather. John was the son of John Adamson and grandson of James Adamson and Helen Guthrie, who was born in Menmuir. John and Ann's older children James 1784 and David 1785 were born in Logie Pert, then Jean 1787, John 1790, Alexander 1793 and David 1795 at Eastertown, Stracathro.

The Leightons and Fairweathers in Menmuir all intermarried, and I have yet to get them all sorted out. However it seems likely that Ann Fairweather and Janet Fairweather were connected or related in some way.

I have very little information about what became of most of the children who were born at Syde, and would love to have anything you come across about them, especially the Wyllies and Adamsons.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline embla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Gosh Noreen!
what a lot you have discovered!
Yes I know about the Leighton/Fairweather/Dons
there were later also Duncans Edwards and Fawns
and I have a clear line now down to me from 1841
and will just copy you inline with the higgledy-piggledy notes I made recently - which are from the Angus archives at Restenneth and the churchyard at Stracathro and the internet
I have a call to participate in in 5 minutes but will send all thereafter

Best to you
E
Descriptive List of Plans in the Scottish Record Office
Volume I
Page 20
Angus
Stracathro
Stracathro, the seat and property of Patrick Cruickshank, Esq NO62565 [1:5400] 93 x 68 cm
Estate plan showing house, parks, gardens and farms including Clearban, Westerton, Easterton, Blackdikes, Syde, Cairntown and Ardo. Field boundaries, some field names, acreages and land use shown – arable, pasture and plantation. Mill of Syde and Milldn, quarries, glebe, Stracathro church and manse noted. Coloured. Table of contents.
RHP.83

Valuation Roll
1765       Decree of Division – Ardo, \syde, \mill of Syde & marketfoord retained by Captain Turnbull – remainder of the Estate sold to Colin McKenzie – incl westertown Heugh Head Ketley and Broomward
1797 – 98    John Adamson, Side http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/clock-and-watch-tax-rolls-1797-1798/clock-and-watch-tax-volume-2/23#zoom=3&lat=1372.5&lon=1400.5&layers=B
1823      proprietor of Syde etc Alexander Cruikshank
1841      john Duncan
1851      Alexander Edward
1857 – 61   Robert Lyall Factor
1861      Fauns
DON James Blacksmith 1824 James Don, born 1 Aug 1824 in Farnell, Angus, Scotland. Parents: Hercules Don & Ann Wales. James first married Mary McAndrew (cir 1825-1860) 3 Jul 1847 Edzel, they had 5 children. Next married Ann Dakers (1830-1909) 14 Dec 1861 Stracathro, they had 4 children. James was Blacksmith of Stracathro and Balrownie between 1841-1905. Died 12 Feb 1905 Mill of Balrownie Smithy.
1871      Peter Pullar
1920 – 21   Peter Pullar/John Ramsay Pullar
1940 – 41   John Ramsay Pullar
1942 – 43   John Ramsay Pullar/William Anderson
1945 – 46   William Anderson
1953 – 1954   William Anderson
1957 – 58    William Anderson
1958 – 59   William Anderson
1960 – 61   L Millar Anderson House and Farm of Syde 196 acres
1962 – 63   William Anderson – Syde – L Millar Anderson
1971 – 72   L Millar Anderson
LM Anderson d 1983 buried in Sunnyhill cemetery, Montrose
Syde bought by Tony and Wendy Bryce in 1985
then sold to me in 2013

Best
E

Offline embla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 16:16 GMT (UK) »
http://landedfamilies.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/37-adamson-of-careston-castle-and.html

are these your Adamsons? Because Mr Adamson lives at Millden, Stracathro and is the current incumbent

and I suppose you have seen this about the Leightons Fairweathers and Dons
http://archive.org/stream/memorandumregard1898fair/memorandumregard1898fair_djvu.txt

Mr and Mrs Cuthill   are now of Ballownie (brother Bryan, a plumber in Brechin) and grew up at Ballownie as their father Sandy was the farmer there before them.

Mr and Mrs Gibson are at Westerton.....Gibsons are long time Stracathro folk so you may have something there too

http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Angus_or_Forfarshire_the_Land_and_People_Descriptive_and_Historical_v5_1000895456/177