Author Topic: Treacing my grand father.  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Joseph Price.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Treacing my grand father.
« on: Saturday 09 January 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my grandfather.In the 1911 census he was classed as constable RIC based in Cork.Charles William Wixted was his name and he was born in1863 in Athlone Garrison,Westmeath.I also traced a Charles Wixted joining the Royal Munster Fusiliers from 1915-18.Could this be the same Charles as he would be 52,would that be possible.I do know that Charles was based in Cork.He was married to a Bridget Fitzgerald in 1892.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Joseph.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: Treacing my grand father.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 January 10 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Age was no barrier, but it was unusual to find men of that age in the Irish regiments

You have presumably found that reference in the Medal Card Index on Ancestry. Wixted is an unusual name, in that if you search the MCI for any Wixted in the British army there are only 10 (and 4 of them were killed if you look at CGGC site)

Including that Charles, there were 3 Irish Wixteds in the army.

A Cork man would have joined the Munsters.

Without any other info, I would have said he was related to your grandfather (a son or nephew). You would need to plumb the depths of your family tree to see

There are 4 Charles Wixteds reg in Ireland, one b1863 (d1949 at Tralee), one b1901 at Schull Cork, one born 1898 at Grannard. There is also an 1891 marriage in Dingle of Charles Wixted (Bridget Fitzgerald also marries in Dingle them, I assume this is yours)

The 1898 Charles could be the one in the Munsters, as an alternative to your grandfather

You could try RIC records to get when he left RIC. Also I recall that local papers gave news of RIC men joining up. If you check the forums here you will find that there is someone with the RIC reference book

With a name like "Wixted" you are very lucky, as it is so rare

You could get his marriage cert and death cert online (if indeed that is your grandfather). It would be woth getting the other two birth certs for the extra 10€
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Joseph Price.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 January 10 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,that helps a lot.Joseph.

Offline Joseph Price.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 10 05:24 GMT (UK) »
To Corisande,Could you tell me how you found out about the 4Charles born in Ireland as the 1863 died 1949 was my grandfather but I cant get him up on any site,also he and Bridget were married in Dingle 1891 and i would also like to find that site. Thank you again Joseph.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 10 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Corisande used the Irish Civil Index on familysearch to locate the details on Charles  - it's a death index record, so the year of birth may be an estimate. (his birth is not included since it was before civil registration stared in 1864)

Name: Charles Wixted
 Registration district: Tralee
 Record type: DEATHS
 year: Oct - Dec 1949
 Volume: 5 / Page: 319

you can order research certs from the GRO using these references.

There are some Wixted church records on www.irishgenealogy.ie including the marriage you mentioned of Charles Wisted  and Bridget Fitzgerald in 1891, and the Baptism of a Mary Wixted (to the same couple) in 1893. The Irish Genealogy website only includes records for Dublin and Kerry at the moment but they plan to add further parish records (including Cork).

The civil index details for the marriage, in case you want to order a civil cert, are :

Registration district: Dingle
 Record type: Marriage
 quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1891
 Volume: 5 / Page: 123

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Joseph Price.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane I will give it a go.Joe.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 20:20 GMT (UK) »

Charles Wixted #51042
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=IRE%2FRIC%2FHO184%2F0461081

Registration district: Tralee
 Record type: DEATHS
 year: Oct - Dec 1949
 Volume: 5 / Page: 319

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1949/04533/4194827.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo