Author Topic: 1841 Sussex - for DIMPS  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
1841 Sussex - for DIMPS
« on: Tuesday 15 March 05 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dimps,
Lucky lady to have the 1841 ;)

Looking for a Mary BRAVERY , possibly in CRAWLEY, IFIELD or BEEDING but more likely WARNHAM as this was the place (ROWHOOK) that her late husband is stated as being from on the Dorking burial records.
Possible children with her might be,
Mary Anne 17
James 15
Martha 11
Thomas 8

Many thanks Dimps for your kind offer,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Sussex - for DIMPS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I couldn't find any Braverys in Warnham, Ifield, Upper or Lower Beeding.  My eyes were "going", and I couldn't really face searching Crawley for the moment, so I did a search on Rowhook on GENUKI.  I found that it came under Rudgewick.

SUCCESS ;D ;D ;D

Place looks like Snell, between Godleys Lodge and Green Lane:

Mary Bravery       35     Farmer     Born outside Sussex
Mary Ann Do        17                     Born in Sussex
James Do             15                     Do
Martha Do            12                     Do
Thomas Do             9                     Do

I noticed in Kelly's Directory 1867 (Rudgwick and neighbouring hamlets) quoted on GENUKI, that among the private residents was a James Braby Esq. living at Maybanks.  Any good to you?

Deborah

Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 05:59 GMT (UK) »
THANKS Deborah,
I've hunted high & low for this group!  It's given me the completed picture.  Mary is the widow of my 3xgreat grandfather who died in 1833 & although I had found them in Croydon in 1851 I couldn't find them in the intervening years.  So MANY thanks,

Jane

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 05 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Glad to return the favour!  :)

Deborah
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Philip Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 11 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Jane
I found your discussion just now as I am researching our house, which is called Snell House in Rowhook.  I see that your family lived here.  Do you have any other specific information I wonder or papers relating to the property.
Thank you
Philip

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 October 11 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip,
No, I don't think I have anything specific on Snell but I'll have to dig around in my notes to refresh my memory & come back to you on that.
Off the top of my head I believe Snell was a farm in Rowhook with a mill attached (I would think that would be a windmill)  Ahh, I've just remembered I do have notes on a conveyance or sale of the property which concerned my ancestors.  Again I'll dig that out & let you know.
I believe the mill is long gone as I've never found anything out about it.  My ancestor was a miller by trade but the 1841 census shows his widow as being a farmer.
How wonderful that you might live in that same house.  Do you have a rough date for it?

Jane

Offline Philip Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 11 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jane
How marvellous to hear from you.  Thank you.

The windmill is now no-more, but I have a pretty good idea of where it stood.  We live in Snell House which we understand is circa 1902 built just to the side of the site of the mill.  The land (of Snell Farm) would have been split at some point before that.  I would be very interested to hear what you have with dates paperwork wise, but also on the social history aspect.  Snells (or Snell Farm) is at the bottom of our drive.

With huge thanks
Philip

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Old Maps show a Windmill (corn) on 1875 1:2500 it is not shown  on 1897 of that scale.  Windill Cottage shows on 1974 where Snell farm was marked  previously and Snell House appears  W of the farm
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Philip Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that is very helpful.  I'll go armed to the library and have a look at the maps.
Regards
Philip