Author Topic: birth and burial look up melksham  (Read 3102 times)

Offline denise westall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
birth and burial look up melksham
« on: Tuesday 15 March 05 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to confirm before sending off for a birth certificate that this William Gerrish is my relative.  His birth was recorded in the September qtr, in 1862 at Melksham.  According to the census information I have for 1871 his family were as follows:-

Matthew Gerrish       head   age 44? miller    born Melksham
Ellen Gerrish             wife     "      37                "       "
Annie   "                    daughter    14                "       "
Stephen   "                 son              11               "       "
William (This is him?) son               8                "       "
Winnifred   Gerrish     daughter     7                 "       "
Ellen            "              daughter    3                 "       "
John            "               son            7 months    "       "

I also have his  marriage certificate stating that his father was Matthew Gerrish, and that he was born in Melksham, but the date does not tie in with the civil registration date by two years.  I would be pleased if anyonecould check the parish records for his baptism, and any other info' for this family would be great.

I also have a problem in tracing when and where he died.  My grandma, his only daughter cut all ties with him.  I wondered if he may have returned to Melksham, so if any one could check burials for me too. He was living at Whitely until 2nd nov 1915 when his wife Caroline died.  After that I know nothing.  I would appreciate any help, thanks.
Gerrish, Broughton Gifford, Whitely and Melksham in Wiltshire .
Tylee and Timbrell at Atworth, in Wiltshire.
Timbrell of Nettleton and Yatton Keynall, in Wiltshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: birth and burial look up melksham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise,

Melksham is covered by BVRI2 but William does not appear there.  However the following did turn up:

Matthew GERRISH, Matthew 27 m    Ellen JORDAN 24
11 Oct 1856   Melksham, Wiltshire
Husband previously married
Husband's Father:   William GERRISH
Wife's Father:   Richard JORDAN
FHL Film 1279377   

Stephen bapt 12 Mar 1860 Melksham
Fred bapt 24 Feb 1875 Melksham
Ellen bapt 19 Jul 1884 Melksham
Emma Winifred born 29 Dec 1885 bapt 28 Jun 1892 Chippenham

Where the family were between 1860 and 1875 is anyone's guess.  Were they in Melksham for the census.  There are many other Gerrish baptisms in Melksham, but none for a William with a father Matthew.  In 1881 Matthew worked in a foundry.

Can't help with the burials - sorry.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline denise westall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nell,

Thanks for your help.  It does look like the same family to me. although as you say there were a lot of Gerrishes.  Yes, the family were listed as living at Broughton Road, Melksham on the 1871 census and William was at home.  The family were also still  there in1881, although only Ellen (wife), Stephen and William were there on that occassion.  I know William married in the Bradford District, and he also lived at Broughton Gifford, prior to living at Whitely.  However they were a very transient family!  Apparently William was not a nice man, was a drunkard and used to hit about his wife, which is why my grandma severed all ties with him when her mother died.  If I send for the death certificate it is likely that there will be nothing on it to connect him to my family, as I don't think he had any other children.  My grandma moved to Sheffield and did not invite him to her wedding.  I feel a bit stuck really because as you say it is any ones guess where the family were, and it is also anyones guess where William moved to after his wife died!  I suppose I could just go to the records ofice at Trowbridge and start a search of all the parish records.  If you come up with any good ideas please let me know.

Best Wishes Denise
Gerrish, Broughton Gifford, Whitely and Melksham in Wiltshire .
Tylee and Timbrell at Atworth, in Wiltshire.
Timbrell of Nettleton and Yatton Keynall, in Wiltshire

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Matthew Gerrish -1851/1861/1871 Melksham
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
Matthew Gerrish married twice! Mary his first wife born in Bombay, India c1830 died in 1853; James was their son - born 1850. Matthew married second wife Ellen Jordan October 11th. Matthew died in 1882.
You will find him & his family on all E&W census from 1841 to 1881 under the name of Gerrish in 1861 his surname was erroneously recorded on some census records as "Gavish"

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 19:06 BST (UK) »
Dulverton - poster Denise Westall was last on Rootschat Jan 2008, if her email is still active she should receive notification of your message
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Matthew Gerrish -first wife was Mary Parsons
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 September 19 19:46 BST (UK) »
I can confirm Matthew Gerrish & Mary Parsons marriage was recorded in the GRO index for the June Qtr of 1850. Matthew & Mary had a son, James born 1850

GRO Index reference:
District Melksham
Volume 8
Page 709

Mary died in 1853. Matthew married Ellen Jordan October 11th 1856 by whom he had 5 children. Matthew died in 1882 & Ellen in 1898