Author Topic: sydney SMITH  (Read 2593 times)

Offline daranlittle

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sydney SMITH
« on: Sunday 10 January 10 13:15 GMT (UK) »
hi

i'm reseaching a family that settled in buckhurst hill, essex, but who were originally travellors.

sydney smith was a cutler and lay preacher. he was baptised in shillington, beds in 1848 to sydney and pheobe smith.  i have been unable to find out any information on this couple at all.

the first record for sydney is the birth certificate of his daughter pheobe, born 1867 in a field in norland road in kensington - can anyone tell me if this was part of the potteries?? phoebe's mother is down as catherine, formerly carey

sydney had 7 other children, but on each certificate the mother's name is slightly different:

jane b 1874 in kensington mother catherine nee haymer
emily b 1877 in buckhurst hill mother catherine harner
sidney b 1880 in buckhurst hill mother katherine amos
william b 1882 (certificate not found)
alice b 1886 in buckhurst hill mother catherine carey
frederick b 1889 in buckhurst hill mother catherine hamor
kathleen b 1892 in buckhurst hill mother kathleen amier

i know that all these children had the same mother, and her death certificate (died 1929 age 80) gives name as 'catherine'.

sydney died in 1934

i can't go any further back... the only glimmer of hope i've found is that one of the daughters married in woodford bridge in 1894 and that christopher smith was a witness... he was the traveller known as critty smith... i just can't find a link between his family and sydney's.

in the 1871 census sydney, catherine and pheobe are living in a caravan on kensal road, chelsea and he's listed as 'chair maker'... there are no other smiths with them but a few taylors.

i'm decended from their first daughter pheobe. in later years she named her home 'romany rye'.

if any one can help me in any way to find relatives for sydney smith i'd be very grateful

daran

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
Re: sydney SMITH
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
hello daran,
i will have a look through some notes of mine to see if anything turns  up as the name "critty" is known to me. i have come accross his family in other searches

a.
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

Offline SidneyCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Daran,
I have just seen your inquiry concerning the Sydney/Sidney Smith family of Buckhurst Hill.  I am his great-grandson.  Please get in touch.
Regards
Sidney

Offline chantilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 20 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Daran,
I came across your post whilst researching my 2nd Great Grandmother, Susan Shepherd (nee Smith).  Susan was born in 1845 in Kensworth, Hertfordshire and her parents were Sidney & Phoebe Smith (nee Tompson) who came from the Luton area.  I am wondering whether Susan might have been a sister to your Sydney Smith.  I've been unable to find anything out about Sidney & Phoebe apart from the possibility that they were Romany gypsies.  If you have any further information about this family, I would very much appreciate it if you could share it with me.  Thanks.