Author Topic: Parish of ST PETER'S C of I Dublin  (Read 21986 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Parish of ST PETER'S C of I Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 January 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Is suspect that Disor is either a misunderstanding when the register was filled out, or a misinterpretation during the transcription, as Bill mentioned. Given that the other information seems to fit the clues you have, I would say it's likely the correct record.. and that Dixon was John's middle name. Good idea to try and confirm this though...

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 January 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane.

I've actually now looked at the LDS site and there is no microfilm available for St. Peter's Dublin anyway, so I am limited to approaching the RCB Library.

However, I am more convinced now than ever that I have tracked down a family member - after all these years!

So, we're going with 'Dixon' instead of 'Disor'?
Chilis

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 January 10 21:19 GMT (UK) »
see attached below what happens when I tried writing Dixon in a script font, and then made two small smudges...

It's definitely worth trying the letter to the RCB Library, even though they dont officially carry out research on behalf of people, I have heard of them answering some queries... plus you already have the full details (date, parish etc), so it would be an easy lookup for them

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 January 10 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Just finally, I suppose, at the listing in www.irishgenealogy.ie, you are given the Book and Page numbers so anyone going to the microfilm can go straight to the record.

On the other hand, I am told by another experienced researcher that the RCBL has many records unavailable due to digitisation taking place (hallelujah!), so be prepared.

All best

Bill

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 January 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Shane,
You've made a very good case for the liklihood of a mis-transcription.  Very plausible and very well illustrated.  Thank you.

Bill is also right about the odds against getting a definitive answer from RCBL, but I'm going to try.  I can tell you I'm well used to being 'up against it' when it comes to searching Irish sources!
Chilis

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 January 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
See what I mean  - 
I've just looked up the relevant entry on irishgenealogy.ie and under each of the headings Book No., Page and Entry No., exactly as I've come to expect -N/R, N/R, N/R 
Chilis

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 January 10 19:42 GMT (UK) »
So where did the records come from?  I can see that you have some digging ahead.  I did some poking around at entries in www.irishgenealogy.ie and I think all the entries that I found for marriages in C of I churches show the same lack of information.

At least you have the church and the date.  Good luck.

But, as Shane and I have both said, IF other factors fit, you have probably found your missing information.

Let us all know what you may eventually find out.

Bill

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 January 10 20:03 GMT (UK) »
So where did the records come from?  I can see that you have some digging ahead.  I did some poking around at entries in www.irishgenealogy.ie and I think all the entries that I found for marriages in C of I churches show the same lack of information.

most of the CofI records on the Irishgenealogy website are transcripts based on the films or registers held by the RCBL.. as far as I know all available details are transcribed.

Earlier records tend to be more basic and include less detail.. hence the number of N/R or 'not recorded' notations. In later years the level of detail entered increased - e.g. from the 1690s on marriages for St. Peters only contain the names of bride and groom, and date. By about 1813 occupations and basic addresses are usually included. St. Peters seem to have never recorded father's first names for marriages.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
My faith in Irish archivists is restored!

I contacted the RCBL archivist yesterday, outlining my query and received a reply THIS MORNING.  The entry has been looked at and deemed likely to have been mis-transcribed.  In other words, I have confirmation that the entry is not clear and could certainly be 'Dixon'. 

How's that for helpfulness?
Chilis