Author Topic: David Allan  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Angus Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Allan
« on: Monday 11 January 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get more information on my GGF David Allan.  He was born in Glasgow 1888, married to Helen Dunlop in 1906 and had two boys, my GF Thomas Henry and David who died in WW2 and served in The Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regt)

My GGF died in WW1 but there are a couple of David Allan's that enlisted and that were born in Glasgow and I hope to find more information out if I can pinpoint which is correct.

I have looked on Military Genealogy, Ancestry and CWGC and on the regiment web pages.  Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated  :-*

David Allan regiment number 12395  d 11/04/1918 THe Kings own Scottish Borderers
David Allan regiment number 240621 d 13/04/1918 The Highland Light Infantry
banned / spam IP

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Allan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the MCI of your HLI option, it gives that he served in Galipoli. Indeed that battalion were there

August 1914 : at Garnethill, Glasgow. Part of HLI Brigade in Lowland Division. Moved on mobilisation to Dunfermline.
11 May 1915 : formation became 157th Brigade in 52nd (Lowland) Division.
26 May 1915 : sailed from Devonport for Gallipoli, going via Egypt (5-28 June) and Mudros (1 July), landing at Cape Helles on 3 July.
8 January 1916 : evacuated from Gallipoli to Mudros and arrived Egypt in February.
11 April 1918 : Division left Egypt, battalion arrived Marseilles 17 April for service on Western Front.

Do you know whether your gggrandfather served in Gallipoli or not, it would narrow the field.

This man who served in Gallipoli appears to have returned to France before the rest of his battalion if he was. You would need to check the date of their return to France. However his info is consistent in as much as he was with 9th Battalion when he was killed - rather than 1/6.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Angus Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for your reply.  Sorry for my ignorance, but what is MCI? and where did you find this info?  Unfortunately, what I posted is literally all I know about him.  The only other thing is my Grandfather saying he saw my GGf's name on a memorial in Edinburgh, which I find really weird.  I have looked at the Scottish War Memorial site, but had no luck there.
banned / spam IP

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
MCI is jargon for Medal Card Index. its what you get on Ancestry.

The Medal Card Index has the advantage of being online. It gives the index reference for the actual medal roll which usually gives the battalion, if you do not already know it (you have to buy that from NA, or go along and get it)
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
It would also stop people reinventing the wheel for you if we put the link on to the thread you have here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lag9q00lh9i3f36vvloss7u442&topic=429595.msg2945258
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling